BTO’s Kentucky postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Dear Tennessee, when you play with fire/energy/effort you are a top 15 team in the country...I get that is hard to do but damnit that’s the truth.

2. For the first time all season Tennessee allowed a team to shoot over 40% from the field and won, in fact Kentucky shot 46% on the game, so how did Tennessee win??? They only gave up 10pts at the free throw line, you turned it over only 12 times, and after a horrendous effort against Auburn you outrebounded Kentucky both overall and on the offensive glass...solid effort from the Vols.

3. What an odd game for the Vols, not sure who has the flu and who doesn’t, but Vols essentially played 7 guys tonight, crazy....probably best game of the year for Schofield, tough first half but great second half for Williams. Fulkerson was forced to play big minutes and was huge against the Kentucky zone, hopefully that’s a sign of things to come from him. We never saw Darrington, is that flu or is that just where he’s at???

4. 23 assists on 25 made field goals...are you kidding me? That is nuts! There was some great ball movement tonight especially in the 2nd half, this team is sometimes too unselfish, but tonight was some fun basketball...especially the 2nd half.

5. Speaking of flu, did Barnes have the flu in the Auburn game, or does he just hate Calipari??? He was rarely in his chair, he was challenging players, got T’d up, he was everywhere including in the refs a$$...for all those questioning if he cares or if he’s here to collect a check...hopefully tonight answered that.

6. Vols needed the W, plain and simple. A loss wouldn’t have ended your season, but it would have definitely closed your margin of error...now the Vols get the win, have a winnable game at Vanderbilt, then home against A&M and then at Missouri...finding a way to go 3-3 through the first 6 would definitely be a success imo.

7. Give me Anfernee Simons....PLEEEEEAASE!

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 people
Where was Barne’s fire & energy in the Auburn game?

He looked like a completely different coach tonight.

1. Dear Tennessee, when you play with fire/energy/effort you are a top 15 team in the country...I get that is hard to do but damnit that’s the truth.

2. For the first time all season Tennessee allowed a team to shoot over 40% from the field and won, in fact Kentucky shot 46% on the game, so how did Tennessee win??? They only gave up 10pts at the free throw line, you turned it over only 12 times, and after a horrendous effort against Auburn you outrebounded Kentucky both overall and on the offensive glass...solid effort from the Vols.

3. What an odd game for the Vols, not sure who has the flu and who doesn’t, but Vols essentially played 7 guys tonight, crazy....probably best game of the year for Schofield, tough first half but great second half for Williams. Fulkerson was forced to play big minutes and was huge against the Kentucky zone, hopefully that’s a sign of things to come from him. We never saw Darrington, is that flu or is that just where he’s at???

4. 23 assists on 25 made field goals...are you kidding me? That is nuts! There was some great ball movement tonight especially in the 2nd half, this team is sometimes too unselfish, but tonight was some fun basketball...especially the 2nd half.

5. Speaking of flu, did Barnes have the flu in the Auburn game, or does he just hate Calipari??? He was rarely in his chair, he was challenging players, got T’d up, he was everywhere including in the refs a$$...for all those questioning if he cares or if he’s here to collect a check...hopefully tonight answered that.

6. Vols needed the W, plain and simple. A loss wouldn’t have ended your season, but it would have definitely closed your margin of error...now the Vols get the win, have a winnable game at Vanderbilt, then home against A&M and then at Missouri...finding a way to go 3-3 through the first 6 would definitely be a success imo.

5 no... Barnes and Cal are good friends.

Reactions: 2 people
Great summary. Always like reading your analysis. This team is really good when they play with the energy they brought tonight. Let’s hope that trend continues.

Reactions: 3 people
As always good points Bleeding. I'll piggy back and make a few comments myself.

-Rick and John are actually very close and longtime friends. Not surprised to see Rick really fight for this one tonight.
-UK losing three in a row in Knoxville. Geez. UK just doesn't play well down there. Ever since 2013 when the Noel-less team got smacked, it's been something awful. Like you said, the Vols played in the 2nd half like they wanted the win that they needed.
-Excellent point about the passing. UK isn't very good at zone. UT slowly and methodically broke it over and over. UK didn't hustle enough like UT did, and Calipari was stupid enough to play it until their were 4 minutes left. UT wasn't beating the man to man as easily and this is on Calipari for losing imo.
-Depth for both teams was an issue. Flu was going around for both teams and foul trouble affected the game badly. Another SEC game, another terrible job by the referees (both ways).

Congratulations on the win. I wish you all would stop giving up so early every game (I know I'm preaching to the choir as a UK fan). This UT team has potential and is very young.

Reactions: 13 people
I know that, but maybe a competitive edge??? Wants to beat his friends, sure looked like Barnes/Calipari were chirping at each other when they got T’d up

Pearl and Barnes are friends too, so not sure. Maybe he knows beating UK being at UT is at the top of the list of things you want to get done.

Reactions: 3 people
What difference do you all think the double technicals against the coaches made? I think we were already more fired up, but I think it helped us to maintain our intensity for the rest of the half. After the Auburn game, and the first half, I think we needed that.

Didn’t seem like it when they were yelling at each other. Of course they will say they’re best friends lol

Didn't seem like the usual coach speak. They evidently have known each other for 30+ years iirc. I've had some games where my friend and I beat the crap outta each other on the court. But at the end we'll shake hands and say good game. Something about playing a friend who won't stop letting me hear about a loss makes it extra special. Just my opinion at least.

Reactions: 5 people
Good write up BTO. Glad to see Barnes in the game. I think the players feed off his energy. He was virtually non-existent in the Auburn game. First time I can remember being so down on Barnes. Maybe he was sick as you suggested.

What difference do you all think the double technicals against the coaches made? I think we were already more fired up, but I think it helped us to maintain our intensity for the rest of the half. After the Auburn game, and the first half, I think we needed that.

I think it put the officials on notice that Barnes wasn't putting up with that ish anymore. The foul called on Grant was the biggest pile of steaming horse **** I've seen in a while.

Didn't seem like the usual coach speak. They evidently have known each other for 30+ years iirc. I've had some games where my friend and I beat the crap outta each other on the court. But at the end we'll shake hands and say good game. Something about playing a friend who won't stop letting me hear about a loss makes it extra special. Just my opinion at least.

Yeah, it’s possible, but people also say pitino and cal were friends. That ones way harder to believe, but a good example here lol. Maybe business friends, but deep down, you know there’s some hatred.

Imho Barnes saw a team that wasn't ready to play and let them hang themselves against Auburn. Used it as a teaching moment.

I have to admit that crossed my mind but every SEC game is crucial, especially home games. Awful expensive lesson to teach on.

Yeah, it’s possible, but people also say pitino and cal were friends. That ones way harder to believe, but a good example here lol. Maybe business friends, but deep down, you know there’s some hatred.

Cal & Pitino had respect for each other.

I’m pretty sure Pearl truly hated Calipari when he was still here.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle with those two. I don't think they hate each other and I don't think they were friends. They had their beefs in private and did their best to keep it out of the rivalry. At best it was a mutual respect for each other.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back