volsarelife1 post game thoughts vs Kentucky:

volsarelife1

1. First of all, **** Kentucky. Always great to beat them.

2. Players of the game Schofield and Williams. They combined for 38/16/8/4/2

3. Effort. Effort. Effort. We showed a little more effort to start the game but not by much. Not sure why they're not coming out ready to play. With that said, this was a completely different team in the second half. Much more energy. Williams looked like he didn't want to be out there during the first half. Second half was great for him. He took advantage of not having the giants on him, and dominated. He was an animal in the second half.

4. Bowden. Even though he wasn't connecting on his shots, was happy to see him aggressive in the first half with 6 shot attempts. But reverted back to his no show second half with one shot attempt. Can't have these inconsistencies.

5. Passing and butterfingers. This is consecutive games that we have just had some moronic passes and pass attempts. We've now had to have at least 6 times the past two games our guys just lost the ball going up.

6. Point guard play. For how well our guards played against Auburn, was not as good tonight. But Turner did great in providing a spark again. I do love him coming off the bench to ignite things. And he's out go to guy for the ball in his hands for free throws.

7. Kyle Alexander. (BTO alluded to this in another thread). But I agree with his take on Alexander possibly having the most NBA potential on the team. His length and blocking/rebounding ability is progressing. Wish he would take more shots however.

8. Out of bounds plays. This is the best and most effective game I can remember is having for out of bounds plays. Especially how bad we were against Auburn.

9. Offensive rebounds. For our pathetic effort against Auburn we turned it around tonight and had more offensive rebounds (12) than Kentucky (8).

10. Once Calipari kept going to the zone, we figured out how to beat it. Had great passes and shot attempts. We picked them apart. Barnes out coached Cal in the 2nd half. Fulkerson actually did a great job in the zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I think the bad passing you are referring to is due to a game plan that is all about getting Grant Williams the ball early and often. I think we just forced it to him to much in the first half

The Arky and Auburn games were really deflating. This win was great. Esp after watching my Chiefs blow a playoff game just a couple hours ago (Congrats to the Titans). Schofield was electrifying. That dunk to close the game was the perfect cherry on top. Loved it. Great game.

Reactions: 1 person
Say what you want about coach Barnes and his recruiting, but the man can flat out coach. Also was delighted to see the fire in him. Honestly thought he and cal were fixing to throw hands. This team came out flat, but he, or someone gave them a kick in the tail and they turned on like no other. Kentucky couldn’t stop us. I also want to highlight a play that may be over looked because it didn’t end in a highlight dunk, but that lob Daniel threw to Williams was perfection. Credit grant for seeing the defense was watching, and taking advantage of it, and credit James daniel for putting it right where it needed to be. It’s great to be a Tennessee vol!

I think the bad passing you are referring to is due to a game plan that is all about getting Grant Williams the ball early and often. I think we just forced it to him to much in the first half

I agree. Even though he's great, feel like we try and feed it to him too much at times.

I agree. Even though he's great, feel like we try and feed it to him too much at times.

I would love to see a number breakdown but my guess is he scored 75% or more of his points in the second half. Maybe we just need to let the game come to him instead of forcing it early

I would love to see a number breakdown but my guess is he scored 75% or more of his points in the second half. Maybe we just need to let the game come to him instead of forcing it early

He had 2 in the first half.

He looked like a completely different player. I know it helped with their bigs being out but he still had much more energy.

THIIIIIIIIISSSSS as long as I can’t say it....

I get I, but for F’s sake...first half was 3-4 turnovers forcing it to Grant, who wasn’t even successful in the first half. Gotta fix that.

Think he had 2 points first half and 16 points seconds half

- 23 assists on 25 FGs

- 37-30 rebounding advantage

- First game all season Tennessee has won when opponent shoots over 40%. They were 0-4 when allowing 40%+.

- Barnes coached circles around Cal in this game. Cal putting Gabriel back in the game with 4 fouls and 12 minutes to play was foolish. Sticking with the zone after had obviously figured it out was foolish. Barnes made adjustments and found a lineup combo that worked against that zone and Cal never adjusted. Same 6 Tennessee players played almost the entire 2nd half (Williams, Alexander, Fulkerson, Schofield, Turner, Daniels).

- 23 assists on 25 FGs

- 37-30 rebounding advantage

- First game all season Tennessee has won when opponent shoots over 40%. They were 0-4 when allowing 40%+.

- Barnes coached circles around Cal in this game. Cal putting Gabriel back in the game with 4 fouls and 12 minutes to play was foolish. Sticking with the zone after had obviously figured it out was foolish. Barnes made adjustments and found a lineup combo that worked against that zone and Cal never adjusted. Same 6 Tennessee players played almost the entire 2nd half (Williams, Alexander, Fulkerson, Schofield, Turner, Daniels).

I imagine this is how UT football fans felt with Butch. It's insane that so many fans can see these details but Calipari is sitting on the bench refusing to change.

I imagine this is how UT football fans felt with Butch. It's insane that so many fans can see these details but Calipari is sitting on the bench refusing to change.

I thought Barnes should have played zone against Auburn. They were awful from outside and we couldn't rebound anyway. No idea why he didn't change that game. Maybe they think their teams are better at the end of the year because they stick to their guns

The similarities between Calipari & Butch are definitely there.

Both are great salesman but can’t develop the talent.

Well butch took 5 stars and made them 3 stars

Cal takes 5 stars and puts them into the NBA

To be fair, most of his players could have just went straight into the NBA if they had the right to do so.

It wouldn’t necessarily had anything to do with Cal.

I’ll give Cal credit for persuading all those 5* guys to play with each other.

Well butch took 5 stars and made them 3 stars

Cal takes 5 stars and puts them into the NBA

True, doesn’t mean he developed them though. Also, how many 3* has he put in the league? (I’m actually curious to know ) while, he hasn’t had to recruit 3 stars, I’m pretty sure if Tennessee got the same recruits their future would all be the same.

Reactions: 1 person
To be fair, most of his players could have just went straight into the NBA if they had the right to do so.

It wouldn’t necessarily had anything to do with Cal.

I’ll give Cal credit for persuading all those 5* guys to play with each other.

This.

VN Store

Back