Five-star SG Anfernee Simons visiting this weekend

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Previously a Louisville commit.

I'm sure he's been discussed somewhere in this forum but didn't see a thread on him.

Thoughts on our chances? Who's the last five star visitor we had?

Since de-committing from Louisville in September in the wake of the FBI investigation, Simons, ranked No. 8 in the 2018 ESPN 100, said in addition to Tennessee he’s also been hearing from N.C. State, SMU, Dayton, Florida, UCLA and South Carolina, among others.

“I can make a real big impact right away and get them to a higher level because they’re on the verge of becoming big-time,” Simons said of the Volunteers in November.

Simons also said in November he plans to take his visits in January and February and then commit, “probably in the spring,”

The whole Tennesse coaching staff watched Simons play Dec. 6. Simons went for 22 points in a 90-60 victory over Bristol Prep (Tenn.)

Anfernee Simons to visit Tennessee | Zagsblog

Reactions: 4 people
Looney is my guess

Yeah, Hubbs and Nichols would have even been here since Stokes.

I'm not even sure Stokes visited here during the Martin era.

Cuonzo had several others. There was a guard who visited too. Can't remember. He ended up signing elsewhere and then transferred. Indiana/Ohio State maybe??

Reactions: 1 person
According 247...

Skal Labissiere and Dwayne Bacon both visited October 3rd, 2014 both were 5 stars. Chris Clarke also visited that day and he was a 4 star.

Reactions: 6 people
According 247...

Skal Labissiere and Dwayne Bacon both visited October 3rd, 2014 both were 5 stars. Chris Clarke also visited that day and he was a 4 star.

So Tyndall had two 5* visitors along with high 4* Chris Clarke in just a couple months on the job. Interesting.

So Tyndall had two 5* visitors along with high 4* Chris Clarke in just a couple months on the job. Interesting.
I always had the impression Donnie Tyndall could recruit, and the types of recruits reminded me of guys Pearl would go for.

Simons immediately makes TN a contender for the 2019 Sweet 16. Even the 2nd ever EE or first FF could be within reach.

But... after getting so close and not inking Stokes, Yurtseven, and Petrusev (and who else?) I just can't get excited about potentially landing Simons. I kind of expect that the Daniels spot will be filled with a transfer or a JUCO.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,448

FWIW, I'm not sure Bacon was a 5* when he visited. He got a bump at the end of the season, IIRC.

Edited: 5*, not 4*

Last edited:

And couldn’t close on them? How’s that different from Barnes getting Petrusev/Yurtseven/Jenkins on campus and not closing, which is what you’ve been critical of?

Simons immediately makes TN a contender for the 2019 Sweet 16. Even the 2nd ever EE or first FF could be within reach.

But... after getting so close and not inking Stokes, Yurtseven, and Petrusev (and who else?) I just can't get excited about potentially landing Simons. I kind of expect that the Daniels spot will be filled with a transfer or a JUCO.

This kid has a first round draft grade. Is draft eligible. No way he plays in college.

Well this is about to turn into a former coach vs Barnes debate...shocker!

Well this is about to turn into a former coach vs Barnes debate...shocker!

SeniorDrill in about 10 minutes:

iXBVet4zQfqSV.gif

Reactions: 5 people
This kid has a first round draft grade. Is draft eligible. No way he plays in college.

He'd go in the 20's-2nd round if he went to the draft this year, and potentially a lottery pick in the 2019 draft.

I’m sure someone who follows the nba more closely can confirm but I seem to remember there being a huge difference in money and guarantees between lottery and non-lottery draft picks.

I’m sure someone who follows the nba more closely can confirm but I seem to remember there being a huge difference in money and guarantees between lottery and non-lottery draft picks.

1st pick 5.8 mil
5th pick 3.8 mil
10th pick 2.5 mil
15th pick 1.9mil
20th pick 1.5 mil
25th pick 1.25 mil
30th pick gets 1.1 mil

So a pretty big difference when you jump up into the top 10. The 2nd year takes a pretty big jump for the top 10 too.

Hypothetically I'll put him as the 20th pick in the 2018 class since that's where one mock has him and then put him as the 8th pick in the 2019 mock where another mock has him.

20th pick
1st year 1,549,500
2nd year 1,839,200
3rd year 2,149,000
Total: $5,537,700

8th pick
1st year 2,917,600
2nd year 3,463,100
3rd year 4,046,500
Total:$10,427,200

So he would potentially make $3,340,000 more in a 3 year period by staying for 1 year and getting picked 8th instead of 20th.

3 year contract
1st pick 20,926,100
30th pick 4,153,200

Last edited:

VN Store

Back