BTO’s Arkansas postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. I know I’ve said this would be one of our toughest games, and then I expected to lose, but man that one hurts. To lead for 39.5 minutes just to lose sucks, no way to spin it, and similar happened against UNC...this team should be 11-1 if not for about 60 seconds combined of completely falling apart...is that on Barnes or the players??

2. When it happened I said this is huge...Daniel pulled up for 3 wide open with a minute left, and a full shot clock, we were up 8. He missed, Arkansas hits a 3 and steals the inbounds and scores, now it’s a 3 point game with ~50 seconds left...I get he was wide open but I would’ve preferred we passed on that shot and bled the clock in that spot.

3. This team isn’t the same without Schofield and Williams on the floor, however Williams shouldn’t have fouled out...that 4th foul was a clean block, I usually don’t comment on missed calls but that one really hurt us I felt, I think we win the game if that call is made correctly.

4. Bone had a very nice game 21pts 6rbd 5ast 1to against the pressure of Arkansas, hopefully this game along with the 2nd half of the WF game is a sign of things to come...really strong showing from him today.

5. This game sucks because it was a golden opportunity, we start out 1-0 with a road win and suddenly things look much better over the next 5 games...now you look at that 5 game stretch and really hope we can find a way to go 3-2, it won’t be easy.

6. For all the talk about depth of this team and going 11-12 deep, it’s not there. Darrington is a year away, Fulk is struggling, Walker is coming along and probably deserves Fulk’s minutes, Pons/Kent/Johnson obviously aren’t there yet. That leaves 7 guys, which is what you saw today, we had 7 guys play 20+ minutes, and 3 guys 11 or less minutes. We need more from Walker or Fulk, one of those guys is gonna have to step up so we aren’t forced to play Schofield and Williams in situations we can avoid thus getting them into foul trouble.

7. This team handled UNC and Arkansas both for 39/40 minutes, this team has the potential to be top 15...but at this point they are not. How we respond will be big, yes this loss hurts but that’s a damn good team and it won’t look bad come March, don’t compound this loss with a bad one. Again most said start the first 6 games 3-3 or 4-2 and they’d be happy, that is still on the table, gotta make it happen.

Reactions: 14 people
Got to play 10 or more now to hope to have a long bench down the stretch. Playing Fulkerson, Darrington, Walker now means they'll be better able to help in February and March. Johnson would be playing if he was healthy.

Reactions: 1 person
Did we not have the exact same sequence against UNC to give up a 3 and then turnover the inbounds to a score?

I feel if this team could handle the press better we’d be undefeated

A win today would’ve gave Vols momentum heading into a game at home against Auburn, win that one and you probably were looking at a Top 15 matchup at home against the Wildcats. Obviously 1 loss doesn’t derail things but that would’ve been awesome to 11-2 and ranked top 15 heading into our game game against UK.

Barnes says his practices are tougher than games, why would Johnson be a full participant for months in practice but not healthy enough to appear in games? Yet we saw him in the first half just last game? Lol

Barnes specifically mentioned Johnson after the last home game. Said he had been slowed by his injury and wasn't yet up to speed. LOL.

Barnes specifically mentioned Johnson after the last home game. Said he had been slowed by his injury and wasn't yet up to speed. LOL.

So Barnes threw an injured player on the floor in the first half against WF? Yet said player is too injured to appear games? Let’s think about that for a minute lulz

So Barnes threw an injured player on the floor in the first half against WF? Yet said player is too injured to appear games? Let’s think about that for a minute lulz

Said he's behind because of his injury. He's not 100% because he's missed so much time and is behind. Barnes was talking like he is counting on Johnson to catch up and be a contributor.

Great writeup, BTO. We considered our depth a strength for quite a while, but it's becoming pretty obvious that there's a huge dropoff after the starting 5 and Daniel. Turner continues to regress, and he's a selfish player. Fulkerson has been garbage all year. Walker is showing progress but he's still not ready. Nobody else is close.

Good write-up and summary.

I'm perplexed by our inability to handle the press at times today. Is our best man press-break to have 3 guys run towards the baseline?

Said he's behind because of his injury. He's not 100% because he's missed so much time and is behind. Barnes was talking like he is counting on Johnson to catch up and be a contributor.

So behind in the sense that he’s just not playing at a good enough level to contribute right now? Not behind as in he’s still injured?

Good write-up and summary.

I'm perplexed by our inability to handle the press at times today. Is our best man press-break to have 3 guys run towards the baseline?

Also hated this and meant to mention...guys were starting out near half court, by the time they ran towards you if pass wasn’t there it was 5 seconds before they could make a 2nd cut.

Tough loss for the Tennessee Falc...I mean Vols.

But Arkansas is a good team. Onto the next one. Beat AU and it's a massive game against UK.

Also hated this and meant to mention...guys were starting out near half court, by the time they ran towards you if pass wasn’t there it was 5 seconds before they could make a 2nd cut.

Exactly. And to make matters worse, we seemed hell-bent on throwing it in to the guy on the opposite side of the floor from where the ball was being inbounded.

With our level of talent and experience on the perimeter, I was surprised we struggled with this today.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Good team, good coach. Neither are elite. If they were you would never see Fulk or Darrington in a tough game. They never run more than a base offense no matter what the situation is. If Williams is not in the game they have no go-to. Barnes wastes parts of games going small when Williams is his tallest guy so he and Schofield have to defend bigs - they then pick up fouls. That costs playing time or fouling out with both. Then you have the regular mental errors when the pressure is on.

If he has somebody reasonably talented that's sitting, it may be time to see what they can do and reduce Fulk's playing time. Walker should get more time for sure.

So behind in the sense that he’s just not playing at a good enough level to contribute right now? Not behind as in he’s still injured?

That's what I think he meant. But he could still be going at not quite 100%. He said something along that line about 2 or 3 weeks ago. But after Furman it sounded more like he's missed so much time and that he's behind.

1. I know I’ve said this would be one of our toughest games, and then I expected to lose, but man that one hurts. To lead for 39.5 minutes just to lose sucks, no way to spin it, and similar happened against UNC...this team should be 11-1 if not for about 60 seconds combined of completely falling apart...is that on Barnes or the players??

2. When it happened I said this is huge...Daniel pulled up for 3 wide open with a minute left, and a full shot clock, we were up 8. He missed, Arkansas hits a 3 and steals the inbounds and scores, now it’s a 3 point game with ~50 seconds left...I get he was wide open but I would’ve preferred we passed on that shot and bled the clock in that spot.

3. This team isn’t the same without Schofield and Williams on the floor, however Williams shouldn’t have fouled out...that 4th foul was a clean block, I usually don’t comment on missed calls but that one really hurt us I felt, I think we win the game if that call is made correctly.

4. Bone had a very nice game 21pts 6rbd 5ast 1to against the pressure of Arkansas, hopefully this game along with the 2nd half of the WF game is a sign of things to come...really strong showing from him today.

5. This game sucks because it was a golden opportunity, we start out 1-0 with a road win and suddenly things look much better over the next 5 games...now you look at that 5 game stretch and really hope we can find a way to go 3-2, it won’t be easy.

6. For all the talk about depth of this team and going 11-12 deep, it’s not there. Darrington is a year away, Fulk is struggling, Walker is coming along and probably deserves Fulk’s minutes, Pons/Kent/Johnson obviously aren’t there yet. That leaves 7 guys, which is what you saw today, we had 7 guys play 20+ minutes, and 3 guys 11 or less minutes. We need more from Walker or Fulk, one of those guys is gonna have to step up so we aren’t forced to play Schofield and Williams in situations we can avoid thus getting them into foul trouble.

7. This team handled UNC and Arkansas both for 39/40 minutes, this team has the potential to be top 15...but at this point they are not. How we respond will be big, yes this loss hurts but that’s a damn good team and it won’t look bad come March, don’t compound this loss with a bad one. Again most said start the first 6 games 3-3 or 4-2 and they’d be happy, that is still on the table, gotta make it happen.

No. 2 point on this post was the key, but
It’s hard to beat 5 players, 14,000 fans, 3 refs and 2 announcers! This game was sickening!

Bone did have a great game today but had he made the front end of his free throws with 18 seconds left, it would have been our game today.

I didn’t get to watch any but it is Extremely frustrating to hear about what happened and how it got to that point. I have it recorded but don’t think I’m gonna go back and watch that one.

Agree with all your points. I don’t think this last-minute losing thing is necessarily a Barnes phenomenon. I think we are full-up on hustle, but fall short on playmaking ability. At the end of the game when opponent defenses are playing all out, we don’t have enough guys who can just take control and score the ball.

We lost that game with 3 minutes left on an 8-point swing.

We were out on the fast break. Took a 3 and missed.

They ran out hit a 3. Stoke the inbounds and made a layup.

We were up 8 looking to be up 11 and instead we were up 3 and they had all the momentum

VN Store

Back