volsarelife1 post game thoughts vs Arkansas:

volsarelife1

1. There's no sugarcoating things. This team has a glaring problem of forgetting how to play the last 8 minutes of a game. All 3 of our losses we looked completely lost down the stretch. It's time to stop with moral things of well we played tough against a team. We've got to learn to close out games with a lead.

2. On the flip side of point 1, the first 32 minutes we looked like world beaters out there. Looked like we could play any team. We were holding them with our defense. Our defense can be stifling at times and I like that.

3. Some more negatives. We are lost and have no idea what to do when Williams or Schofield are out. I think we rely on them too much throughout the game, and once they're out we're lost. Bone has zero clue how to operate with pressure and being trapped. That's a recurring theme. On that point, this was probably Barnes worst coaching to date for us. He didn't draw up sets when we were struggling to score or to inbound the ball.

4. We're still a good 3 point shooting team. 40% again today. That's a good sign. Speaking of 3s. Why does Bowden just disappear in that 2nd half of games? He's got to stay aggressive and we need to run sets for him.

5. Another positive is that we forced them into more turnovers than assists. That's something we seem to do a lot. We also out rebounded them.

6. Another positive is down the stretch of overtime this team did not quit. If they could play like that the final 8 minutes of regulation, we wouldn't be in overtime.

7. Overall this game sucks. No other way to put it. But let's hope this doesn't bring out all the negative people. This is one of the toughest places to play and there's a reason we were underdogs. This is NOT the end of the season by any means. Let's regroup and go on a run through the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
1. There's no sugarcoating things. This team has a glaring problem of forgetting how to play the last 8 minutes of a game. All 3 of our losses we looked completely lost down the stretch. It's time to stop with moral things of well we played tough against a team. We've got to learn to close out games with a lead.

2. On the flip side of point 1, the first 32 minutes we looked like world beaters out there. Looked like we could play any team. We were holding them with our defense. Our defense can be stifling at times and I like that.

3. Some more negatives. We are lost and have no idea what to do when Williams or Schofield are out. I think we rely on them too much throughout the game, and once they're out we're lost. Bone has zero clue how to operate with pressure and being trapped. That's a recurring theme. On that point, this was probably Barnes worst coaching to date for us. He didn't draw up sets when we were struggling to score or to inbound the ball.

4. We're still a good 3 point shooting team. 40% again today. That's a good sign. Speaking of 3s. Why does Bowden just disappear in that 2nd half of games? He's got to stay aggressive and we need to run sets for him.

5. Another positive is that we forced them into more turnovers than assists. That's something we seem to do a lot. We also out rebounded them.

6. Another positive is down the stretch of overtime this team did not quit. If they could play like that the final 8 minutes of regulation, we wouldn't be in overtime.

7. Overall this game sucks. No other way to put it. But let's hope this doesn't bring out all the negative people. This is one of the toughest places to play and there's a reason we were underdogs. This is NOT the end of the season by any means. Let's regroup and go on a run through the SEC.

Too late.

This loss is inexcusable. The fact that our balls shriveled up, again, and we dribbled the clock out nearly every time we had the ball in the last 5-6 minutes is a coaching deal. Barnes was known for choking at Texas and this seems to be a recurring problem now. I hope that Barnes can stay for a couple of years or so, stabilize the program, then hand it off to someone more dynamic than him.

Just tough to win on the road in the SEC. We did everything but close it out at the 4 - 6 minute mark of regulation. Then, the Williams foul gave them the opportunity that they needed.

Reactions: 1 person
Still a very young team (5th youngest IIRC). They’ll learn. Sink or swim

This loss is inexcusable. The fact that our balls shriveled up, again, and we dribbled the clock out nearly every time we had the ball in the last 5-6 minutes is a coaching deal. Barnes was known for choking at Texas and this seems to be a recurring problem now. I hope that Barnes can stay for a couple of years or so, stabilize the program, then hand it off to someone more dynamic than him.

Tough loss, but surely you're not serious. Barnes is a home run.

Reactions: 5 people
Last foul called on Grant was a bs call. Changed the game at that point.

Also, Bowden and Lamonte have got to quit disappearing for large segments of the game.

Would've been a good win, but it isn't a bad loss.

Barnes is a solid double. He is not a mediocre coach like Cuonzo, but we are not going to do anything amazing under him.

IMO his ceiling here is first weekend of the NCAAT until proven otherwise. That's solid, but not special.

Biggest problem: not finishing a team off after leading for 38 plus minutes. Need better clock selection on shots.
Should have had this game in regulation!

The fact the likes of you showing up after a loss shows he's wrong because that means Barnes has raised the realistic expectations.

Lol I post sporadically in the bball forum year round and after wins and losses. Been doing it for years.

Barnes had done a good job, but there are some obvious trends he'll need to improve on. Not sure how that's so contreversial.

Living in Arkansas, I was worried that the Vols were going to get blown out by what is the best Hog team in years. The Vols lost, but played damned well for most of the game. I can tell you that the piggies consider themselves lucky.

and BTW, the Vols are lucky to have Barnes. The Longhorns would take him back in a New York minute.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

I agree with most of this but its all moot if Bone makes both free throws, then the Vols win in regulation. It was over when we went to OT without Williams, and the Admiral. Refs called it too close for my tastes but seemed to call it ticky tack both ways. Tough loss no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: 3 people
- 2 of our 4 best FT shooters missed 3 FTs down the stretch that would have iced the game. Bone missed one that would have won it in regulation with 14 seconds left.

- We are now 0-3 when allowing an opponent to shoot 40%+ from the field.

- Before the game, I said we couldn't run with Arky, we had to limit possessions, protect the paint, and hold them below 40% shooting. We really did none of those, and still should have won.

- Too many fouls.

VN Store

Back