The Official #19 Tennessee @ Arkansas Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#19 Tennessee Volunteers: 9-2 (0-0 SEC)

Doral-Moore-vs-Tennessee.jpg

@

Arkansas Razorbacks: 10-2 (0-0 SEC)

Macon2_r600x400.jpg

DEC. 30 » BUD WALTON ARENA » FAYETTEVILLE, ARK. » 1 PM ET

Line: UT +5.5
O/U: 153.5

TV: SEC Network
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: 119, XM: 190
Online: WatchESPN.com

12_Game_Promo_Arkansas.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
• Overall: Series tied, 19-19

• In Knoxville: UT leads, 11-4

• In Fayetteville: UA leads, 9-4

• Neutral Sites: UA leads, 6-4

• Current Streak: Arkansas has won five straight

• Last Meeting: UA won, 82-78, in the Knoxville, 1/3/17

• Rick Barnes vs. Arkansas: 3-4

• Rick Barnes vs. Mike Anderson: Anderson leads, 6-2

• This is just the second time the Vols have opened SEC play vs. Arkansas. On Jan. 8, 2011, UT lost its league opener in Fayetteville, 68-65.

• Arkansas is unbeaten and averaging 95.0 points in its seven home games this season.

• UT was picked in the preseason to finish 13th in the SEC.

• The Vols are rated No. 7 in the NCAA and ESPN InsideRPI, with the nation's 11th-rated SOS.

Reactions: 2 people
• Give the Vols a 20-19 edge in their all-time series with the Razorbacks, dating to 1936

• Make the Vols 1-0 in SEC play for the fourth time in the last five years

• Give the Vols a 3-0 record in true road games this season

• Be Tennessee's fifth victory away from home over a Power Five opponent this season

Reactions: 2 people
• Tennessee opens conference play against head coach Mike Anderson's streaking squad that's won its last five contests and in front of a sold out crowd at Bud Walton Arena.

• Arkansas currently stands as the best offensive scoring team in the conference at 90.0 ppg, ranking ninth in the country. For the first time since their National Championship run in 1994, the Razorbacks have scored 90-plus points in eight of their first 12 games.

• Arkansas' scoring is spearheaded by a lineup with five players averaging double figures, which makes them the only team in the SEC to achieve the feat.

• The Razorbacks are paced by senior guard Jaylen Barford, a Jackson, Tenn., native, who is posting 18.6 ppg along with 4.1 rpg and 3.4 apg. He's joined by fellow senior guards Daryl Macon and Anton Beard, who averaging 15.3 and 12.1 ppg, respectively.

• Freshman Daniel Gafford has only started four games, but his presence has certainly been felt. The 6-11 forward is averaging 11.7 ppg on 66 percent (52-79) shooting to go along with 6.3 rpg and 1.9 bpg.

• The Razorbacks are rounded out by sophomore guard C. J. Jones, who comes off the bench for the deep Arkansas lineup to tally 10.5 ppg.

• Arkansas enters the matchup with Power Five wins over Colorado State, a ranked Minnesota team and a massive 92-83 victory vs. Oklahoma in the PK80 Invitational. During the tournament, the Razorbacks also downed UConn but fell to a familiar foe in North Carolina, 87-68. The only other blemish on their record came at the hands of Houston on the road.

High powered offense vs. a lock down defense. Interested to see how it plays out.

North Carolina really shut us down and played as good defensively as I’ve seen anyone play against us in the past couple of years.

Arky is always so hard to beat at home. Really need to stay calm on runs.

Gonna be a tough one but if they can pull off a win it will set the tone for what this team is really made of moving forward. I agree that minimizing their runs is key. I hope Barnes calls his timeouts better than he did vs Villanova. He let that 15pt lead evaporate in a hurry before burning one. May just have been trying to have a teaching moment early in the Bahamas but woulda been nice to win. GBO

Gonna be a tough one but if they can pull off a win it will set the tone for what this team is really made of moving forward. I agree that minimizing their runs is key. I hope Barnes calls his timeouts better than he did vs Villanova. He let that 15pt lead evaporate in a hurry before burning one. May just have been trying to have a teaching moment early in the Bahamas but woulda been nice to win. GBO

It was totally different versus Villanova. They were playing in a hotel ballroom... I can totally understand hanging on to the 3 TOs in a close game in that setting. It will be a different scenario playing in front of 16,000 hostile fans that are going ballistic.

To say this is going to be a tough game is an understatement, quite possibly our toughest game left on the schedule.

12pm tip for Arkansas(CST), so maybe they come out a bit slower??? That would be nice.

Last edited:
The matchup looks promising - they get their scoring from guards and we're loaded in the backcourt and should be able to keep the pressure up.

Seems like our major concern anymore is keeping our bigs out of foul trouble. We won't survive losing Grant and Admiral for half a half like we did at WF. How the refs call the game early will be key.

If you read too much about Arkansas you can get downright depressed about this game. On the other hand, our guys are pretty good too, so we may have a better chance than many believe. My head says we fight hard and we lose a close one. My heart says we hang tough to the very end and then pull out a close victory! If I were to bet I'd bet on my head being smarter than my heart! :)

Go Big Orange! Go BasketVols!

Why is such a huge game on cable? This game should be on regular TV.

VN Store

Back