Bench

lastlap

The bench won the game for the Vols today in my opinion. We’re in deep foul trouble in the first half and the bench plays over half the minutes and instead of being down 10 we actually have the lead going in the half. Great job. #ittakeseveryone

Reactions: 4 people
The bench won the game for the Vols today in my opinion. We’re in deep foul trouble in the first half and the bench plays over half the minutes and instead of being down 10 we actually have the lead going in the half. Great job. #ittakeseveryone

The bench definitely helped keep the team in it in the 1st half when GW and Admiral were out with foul trouble.

Still, the starters scored 65 of the team's 79 points. Bench had more than half the team TOs, more than half the fouls, only 1/3 of the rebs, and shot 4-19 from the field.

Reactions: 2 people
The bench might could be defined as 2 levels. Turner, Daniel, and now Darrington are almost bracketed as 6, 7, and 8 "Sixth Men". Then Fulk and Walker are consistently backing up inside. Today the next level was used... Pons and Johnson. Still no Kent... I wonder why he's so far off the pace. You'd think that with his size alone and fouls to give he'd see a minute or two. He must really be doing poorly in practice.

In the Furman game TN actually had an entire second platoon in briefly. Daniel/Turner/Darrington/Fulk/Walker.

The bench might could be defined as 2 levels. Turner, Daniel, and now Darrington are almost bracketed as 6, 7, and 8 "Sixth Men". Then Fulk and Walker are consistently backing up inside. Today the next level was used... Pons and Johnson. Still no Kent... I wonder why he's so far off the pace. You'd think that with his size alone and fouls to give he'd see a minute or two. He must really be doing poorly in practice.

In the Furman game TN actually had an entire second platoon in briefly. Daniel/Turner/Darrington/Fulk/Walker.

I think the plan all along may have been to redshirt Kent. May not be a reflection of his practice.

May need an expert but he can be redshirted if he plays in games less than 1/3 of the season...

No he can't. 30% is the limit and it's for a medical hardship waiver. If Kent's injured it's being kept very quiet and he's still able to go through the layup line and pre-game warmup.

total team effort from the coaches and players off the playing court to the players on the playing court...today's game was a lesson to behold...:)

PS. refs included...:)

GO VOLS!

Daniel and Bone are interchangeable in my mind. Either one could start.

Turner needs to step it up. Crazy how streaky he is. Can look great for a couple games then look dreadful. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Darrington TBH.

I think going forward Fulkerson and Walker will just be kind plugged in to fill minutes. However Walker is showing some good signs. I was hoping to get more from Fulky be he really does look like he lost a year..

Last edited:
In basketball it's pretty gray on redshirts. (No Pun Intended)

I would say if Kent doesnt play again he will get a redshirt.

The NCAA has one set of rules for all sports. I'm pretty sure that Kent has burned his 2017-18 redshirt unless the NCAA adopts retro-active rules on the criteria.

The difference between football and basketball is that basketball players can participate in the exhibition games without losing their redshirt.

Barnes made several interesting comments related to the bench today (paraphrasing Hyams' reporting):

He said something to the effect that Johnson is still not up to speed as a result if his injury. Sounds kind of positive in that JJ isn't being benched due to effort or attitude or ability. It would be outstanding if TN could add a well rested Johnson to the mix late in the grind to add a spark.

Barnes said something similar about Fulkerson. He's still trying to get up to speed after his injuries.

Barnes thought that Schofield was playing very well at the end of the Wake Forest game after sitting much of the first half due to fouls. Barnes was suggesting that maybe AS should sit more during the early part of games because he was playing so well late when rested. Maybe we'll see JJ start to get some of Admiral's early minutes.

VN Store

Back