Unofficial TN v next SEC opponent pre-game

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The one thing I have noticed about Arkansas is that in their OOC schedule they've played 4 tough opponents and lost 3 of those games. The rest of their OOC schedule was a collection of bottom dwellers.

To contrast, our OOC schedule featured 5 tough games and we lost only 2 of the 5. Based on that, I think our chances may be better than many would think.

To be clear, I do have this as a loss in my preseason predictions. At the moment, I'm sticking with that prediction but I think this game will be a lot closer than the odds makers will project.

The one thing I have noticed about Arkansas is that in their OOC schedule they've played 4 tough opponents and lost 3 of those games. The rest of their OOC schedule was a collection of bottom dwellers.

To contrast, our OOC schedule featured 5 tough games and we lost only 2 of the 5. Based on that, I think our chances may be better than many would think.

To be clear, I do have this as a loss in my preseason predictions. At the moment, I'm sticking with that prediction but I think this game will be a lot closer than the odds makers will project.

Only twice. UNC and then Houston curb stomped those piggies.

Our basketball programs are a combined 21-2 thus far. That's pretty darn good. Like Fulmer says, football is the engine that drives the machine...but this is really cool.

Reactions: 2 people
yep, it ain't called the SEC grind for nothing...Coach Barnes' best team, so...looking good...dancing is possible...gotta believe it won't be that easy...imagine we'll get the Hog's best that day, so we'll see, and as always...

GO VOLS!

Preseason I had this as a close loss. After finishing the OOC as well as we did and having watched the piggies a couple of times, I think we can beat them if we can slow them down and make them play against our half court defense for long periods. Frustrate them and we can win. Get in a sprint contest and it's all piggies.

Preseason I had this as a close loss. After finishing the OOC as well as we did and having watched the piggies a couple of times, I think we can beat them if we can slow them down and make them play against our half court defense for long periods. Frustrate them and we can win. Get in a sprint contest and it's all piggies.

Yep, we have to limit their possessions and opportunities in transition. We also must rebound well and not give them extra possessions. To me, this game comes down to ball control.

Size-wise they look a lot like TN. Maybe a little thicker across the board.

Jaylen Barford 0 SR G 6-3 202 18.5 Pts, 4.3 Reb, 3.5 Ast

Daryl Macon 4 SR G 6-3 185 15.3 Pts, 2.2 Reb, 3.8 Ast

Daniel Gafford 10 FR F 6-11 234 12.2 Pts, 5.7 Reb, 1.1 Ast

Anton Beard 31 SR G 6-0 195 11.8 Pts, 2.8 Reb, 3.5 Ast

C.J. Jones 23 SO G 6-5 175 11.1 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 0.8 Ast

Adrio Bailey 2 SO F 6-6 204 6.7 Pts, 3.6 Reb, 1.1 Ast

Darious Hall 20 FR F 6-6 210 4.1 Pts, 2.6 Reb, 0.4 Ast

Dustin Thomas 13 SR F 6-7 225 5.1 Pts, 4.1 Reb, 0.9 Ast

Trey Thompson 1 SR F 6-9 270 3.1 Pts, 4.1 Reb, 2.2 Ast

Jonathan Holmes 15 SO G 5-10 190 2.2 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.2 Ast

Arlando Cook 5 F 6-8 215 2.5 Pts, 2.5 Reb, 1.0 Ast

Gabe Osabuohien 22 FR F 6-8 219 1.4 Pts, 1.6 Reb, 0.3 Ast

Jt Plummer G 0.0 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast

Khalil Garland 3 G 6-5 198

Jalen Harris 11 G 6-2 164

Can't get into a track meet with Arkansas.

100% agree. I think it might be key to the game. Can't afford to turn the ball over against them and don't want to get sloppy trying to play up tempo. It's going to be tough to win on the road to a good, veteran team, but I actually really like how we match up against Arkansas and feel like we're going to keep this very close. I hope there's also some revenge factor. The way we lost to them last year at home really stings.

I haven't paid as much attention to Barnes press conferences, but has anyone else heard how le likes to play uptempo? I just don't see it w this team yet..

I think the lineup w Daniel and Bone in at the same time can be effective against Arkansas. Which I hope would mean less of Turner in this one. He stunk against them last year and I feel like we can't afford the turnovers.

100% agree. I think it might be key to the game. Can't afford to turn the ball over against them and don't want to get sloppy trying to play up tempo. It's going to be tough to win on the road to a good, veteran team, but I actually really like how we match up against Arkansas and feel like we're going to keep this very close. I hope there's also some revenge factor. The way we lost to them last year at home really stings.

I haven't paid as much attention to Barnes press conferences, but has anyone else heard how le likes to play uptempo? I just don't see it w this team yet..

Barnes prefers to play uptempo offense, but everybody has the scouting report to force TN into half court sets. Barnes has even spent time with Paul Westhead to learn how to better play fast.

But CRB stresses intense effort on defense which prevents a fast paced game. If TN gets turnovers they prefer to run fast.

It will be interesting to see how things develop versus teams that prefer a fast pace. I doubt that the KYs and the Arks will lower their defensive intensity in order to let TN run. TN won't either.

TN needs to improve their ball movement in the half court. Williams must always stay out of foul trouble because without him TN's half court offense is not very good.

I think the lineup w Daniel and Bone in at the same time can be effective against Arkansas. Which I hope would mean less of Turner in this one. He stunk against them last year and I feel like we can't afford the turnovers.

Arkansas has two 6'3" guards that lead them in scoring. Turner is going to be needed. All 5 guards plus Schofield are going to have to play very well.

Arkansas has two 6'3" guards that lead them in scoring. Turner is going to be needed. All 5 guards plus Schofield are going to have to play very well.

That’s easy to say, but I think we can still win even w/o a good game from Turner. It’s evident we can, and right now I don’t trust him esp w this matchup

VN Store

Back