Chris Lofton thought

AmoebaVol

How long before we retire the No. 5?

I think he meets the University’s requirements. Dude was really special here. Glad I had the chance to witness him play.

Reactions: 9 people
A player must meet three or more of the following criteria to be eligible: First Team All-American, SEC Player of the Year, National Award, National Championship and career record-holder in significant category at the UT, SEC or national level.

Pretty sure he qualifies...make it happen!

Reactions: 3 people
I was privileged to see Ernie G. & Bernard K. once in Stokely then a few other Vol bb stars. Unfortunately, I never saw Chris Lofton in person, but those amazing performances on t.v. games convinced me, especially his playing through his senior season while dealing with cancer. He & Eric Berry are heroes in many ways. #5!

Reactions: 6 people
agree, but I thought there was actually criteria that was usually met...you know, like AA, all-everything, blah, blah...:)

PS. whatever it is...drop it...make it happen UT for a great VFL...:rock::rock:

GO VOLS!

agree, but I thought there was actually criteria that was usually met...you know, like AA, all-everything, blah, blah...:)

PS. whatever it is...drop it...make it happen UT for a great VFL...:rock::rock:

GO VOLS!

Lofton nearly meets requirements. He was SEC POY, but only made 2nd team All-American, not 1st team.

Lofton nearly meets requirements. He was SEC POY, but only made 2nd team All-American, not 1st team.

Per UT’s own media guide he is listed as being a first team all-American, so if those requirements are still in place he qualifies.

Per UT’s own media guide he is listed as being a first team all-American, so if those requirements are still in place he qualifies.

Actually it just say John Wooden all-American but the Wooden award does not delineate 1sr or 2nd team so every named is considered 1st team.

Actually it just say John Wooden all-American but the Wooden award does not delineate 1sr or 2nd team so every named is considered 1st team.

Then I'd venture to say, since the media guide recognizes that AA team, that they can bend the qualifications of such in Lofton's favor if they so desire.

Favorite basketvol of all time.

He's got the accomplishments and the story. Time to retire his jersey.

Then I'd venture to say, since the media guide recognizes that AA team, that they can bend the qualifications of such in Lofton's favor if they so desire.

I thought they completely suspended retiring jerseys a few years back. When was the last jersey retirement in any sport?

IMO #53 is probably the only NUMBER that should be retired. The rest should be retired jerseys or whatever you call it to hang them up in the TBA.

Reggie Johnson maybe deserves it before Lofton. Possibly AW Davis too considering where TN basketball was before he arrived. Then Ron Widby is deserving. Boerwinkle possibly. Justus. England/Johnson as a combo. Tony White. Then the winningest decade was the 1940s, so there are probably players from that era.

Allan Houston is the scoring champ, but he never won a thing. But Grunfeld's #22 was already retired and Allan broke his career scoring record so it was probably PC to put #20 in the rafters. At least Ellis did win the 1982 SEC (tied). Started out 9-0 that year and limped to (I think) 13-5.

Again, retire #53 and hang jerseys for the others and several more. Can't put the cat back in the bag or the toothpaste back in the tube now though.

Mike Edwards and Ron Slay were also the SEC POYs. White, Widby, King (3x), Grunfeld (co-winner w/BK), and Ellis (2x) too. Lofton was the last 11 years ago.

AW Davis was not only a great basketball player for TN (in the Cracker Only Era), but he was also an assistant coach with Ray Mears and a color guy on the radio with John Ward. AW is a legend. I wish that there was more video from the 1960s, 1970s, and even much of the 1980s. I never got to see AW, Widby, or Boerwinkle. Or Red Robbins.

VN Store

Back