BTO’s Furman postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. It was ugly, it was sloppy...but we won. Not sure that’s a game we win last season, finding a way to gut that one out is a positive sign, that could’ve been a bad loss come March.

2. I liked the more aggressive Jordan Bowden, it would appear maybe Barnes has gotten into his ear and Bowden is responding. I don’t know this to be fact but I’m guessing his 14 shot attempts is a career high, positive development there for a guy who I think continues to impress.

3. Schofield continues to struggle offensively, however tonight he at least brought energy and owned the boards, finishing with 12pts and 13rbds, Williams had 8...nice to see us rebound a little better. Speaking of rebounding, Lamonte Turner is one of the better rebounding guards I’ve seen, had 7 more tonight in only 17 minutes, pretty crazy.

4. We rebounded pretty well, didn’t foul much and took care of the ball...on the surface you’d think we won easily. However we didn’t shoot well from any area on the floor and we weren’t all that good defensively, somewhat of an odd night which just further illustrates it was nice to find a way to get the W.

5. Looking ahead...Vols are 8-2 guaranteeing at least the 8-4 OOC record many predicted, however they’ve got a very real shot at 10-2 and anything less than 9-3 would seemingly be a disappointment. After a 1-4 start to the year Wake Forest has won 6 straight and is 7-4, so this game is hardly a gimmie, but it is definitely winnable. It would be nice to get the W, move up in the polls and give our guys some momentum heading into SEC play...big opportunity Saturday.

Reactions: 9 people
1. It was ugly, it was sloppy...but we won. Not sure that’s a game we win last season, finding a way to gut that one out is a positive sign, that could’ve been a bad loss come March.

2. I liked the more aggressive Jordan Bowden, it would appear maybe Barnes has gotten into his ear and Bowden is responding. I don’t know this to be fact but I’m guessing his 14 shot attempts is a career high, positive development there for a guy who I think continues to impress.

3. Schofield continues to struggle offensively, however tonight he at least brought energy and owned the boards, finishing with 12pts and 13rbds, Williams had 8...nice to see us rebound a little better. Speaking of rebounding, Lamonte Turner is one of the better rebounding guards I’ve seen, had 7 more tonight in only 17 minutes, pretty crazy.

4. We rebounded pretty well, didn’t foul much and took care of the ball...on the surface you’d think we won easily. However we didn’t shoot well from any area on the floor and we weren’t all that good defensively, somewhat of an odd night which just further illustrates it was nice to find a way to get the W.

5. Looking ahead...Vols are 8-2 guaranteeing at least the 8-4 OOC record many predicted, however they’ve got a very real shot at 10-2 and anything less than 9-3 would seemingly be a disappointment. After a 1-4 start to the year Wake Forest has won 6 straight and is 7-4, so this game is hardly a gimmie, but it is definitely winnable. It would be nice to get the W, move up in the polls and give our guys some momentum heading into SEC play...big opportunity Saturday.

Your 1. sums the game up well. We lose this game last year.
2. I agree he can bring a lot, but it’s within the flow of the offense. He is not a manufacturer on any kind of regular basis.
3. Schofield is lacking confidence. He got a bucket late that I hope helps. But let’s face it, he’s always been good for a huge brick or air ball per game. He’s just not a good shooter. But he can be a clutch scorer. He just needs to see more go through.
4. Grants worst game in a while. Imo Guards, other than Bowden, sucked for the most part and played a team that don’t put their opponents on the free throw line.
5. Just keep on keeping. These guys fight like heck. And the fight doesn’t depend on the level of competition. The fight on a hand full of possessions tonight is what won the game.

Last edited:
I thought there were to many bad angle 3 point attempts -- and Furman stuffed the lane on alot of drives to the basket

Yeah, UT loses this game last year. Bowden needs to average about 14 shots a game. I think Bowden and/or Daniel should be UTs number 2 options offensively. I think Schofield's shoulder is worse than he lets on. I think Admiral should concentrate on rebounding and defense more than looking for his shot. The Wake game is huge, imo. A win over Wake with a minimal 10-9 record, counting the ISU game and SEC play, UT will be a NCAA Tourney lock. I think UT still needs Walker and Pons to step up during SEC play, also

• I think that a very large percentage of our missed shots were short, open, in the paint, and a lot of bunnies. In the RTL I noticed that Walker was having difficulty finishing at the basket. It's contagious.

• Rebounding and not too many turnovers saved our bacon.

• Did anybody notice what Barnes did at the end? It might have won TN the game. On Furman's possession with about 20 seconds left, down 2 maybe, Barnes had Turner dog #12 (the Karns kid) full court... #12 must have been 2/3rds of Furman's 2nd half offense. Turner did not let #12 get off a 3-pointer/perimeter shot so he instead drove to the basket. Williams was ready to help and although did not block the shot, he affected it. TN got the rebound (AS I think) and knocked down free throws to finish FU off.

• Late game ball security almost cost another loss. Somebody threw the ball away. Schofield was wildly out of control with the ball in the last possession or two... it was an adventure. I thought that he was going to step out of bounds near the left hash mark.

• It's a dubyah... that's all that matters. Onward and upward.

Reactions: 1 person
I really liked Bowdens game tonight...I hope he stays agressive.

He was very good on feeding the ball to Grant in position for him to be able to score.

I also really liked his defense on #12 late in the game...shut him down on several possessions when he had reviously been killing us. We def don't in that game tonight without Jordan.

• I think that a very large percentage of our missed shots were short, open, in the paint, and a lot of bunnies. In the RTL I noticed that Walker was having difficulty finishing at the basket. It's contagious.

• Rebounding and not too many turnovers saved our bacon.

• Did anybody notice what Barnes did at the end? It might have won TN the game. On Furman's possession with about 20 seconds left, down 2 maybe, Barnes had Turner dog #12 (the Karns kid) full court... #12 must have been 2/3rds of Furman's 2nd half offense. Turner did not let #12 get off a 3-pointer/perimeter shot so he instead drove to the basket. Williams was ready to help and although did not block the shot, he affected it. TN got the rebound (AS I think) and knocked down free throws to finish FU off.

• Late game ball security almost cost another loss. Somebody threw the ball away. Schofield was wildly out of control with the ball in the last possession or two... it was an adventure. I thought that he was going to step out of bounds near the left hash mark.

• It's a dubyah... that's all that matters. Onward and upward.

Turner gets dogged a lot for his defense here, but he harasses and denies as well as any of our guards. And he rebounds like he’s 6’5.

I had the fortune of being able to sample the Ray Mears Room buffet on a friend’s ticket. I made sure my opportunity was not wasted.
I may just be easily pleased, but wow.

Great that we won, however we did it.

Sandwich game for us and for UNC tonight. Props to our guys for getting the job done when the game was on the line.

Now let's beat some Demon Deacons and go to 3-1 in the ACC.

• Bowden likes to admire his shots too much. Instead of standing in the corner or on the wing watching his 3-point attempts, I wish he'd follow his shot or rotate back towards half court. He does it a lot for a P-5 starter.

• I think that Daniel might be closer to 5'9" than 6'0".

• Fulkerson was slightly improved. He still is behind.

• Johnson might have a lingering injury issue. He wears something on his left ankle/lower leg. Too bad he's burned his redshirt. I haven't heard Barnes mention JJ lately. If he's really not good to go and can heal up in a month or so, he might be able to be that additional scoring threat that's really needed.

• Optimistically, TN is 8-2 and almost every player has areas that they can improve on. Pessimistic... maybe they are what they are good coaches will have it scouted and have their players prepared to exploit the weaknesses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Maybe I missed it, but why did Alexander not play much in the 2nd half?

That seems to be the routine. I think that he was the guy that ran the baseline on an inbounds late in the UNC game... but it wasn't after a made basket.

We've had a bunch of guys choke late in games. Hopefully those are the "learning" experiences that will make them and TN better down the road. Schofield threw the ball away in the last minute, but he also had 2 or 3 big rebounds and a key basket. TN probably loses without his play at the end of the game. Daniel really bricked a late free throw, but rattled in the 2nd which I think created a 3-point lead in the final minute.

Maybe I missed it, but why did Alexander not play much in the 2nd half?

could be the same reason he sat out 2nd half of the last game...no passion or energy or whatever the coach is looking for...he's not out of the doghouse yet...:)

GO VOLS!

last night was definitely a gutcheck, survival game and we came out ahead...whew wee...NC definitely had a bigger hangover than we did though...way to go Wofford...some guys stepped up...Bowden and Admiral shared the load and that's what a good team does...winning ain't always pretty but this team did it...and,

GO VOLS!

could be the same reason he sat out 2nd half of the last game...no passion or energy or whatever the coach is looking for...he's not out of the doghouse yet...:)

GO VOLS!

Seems like last year KA started almost every game and only played up to about 10 total minutes per. It's weird. Maybe since he's still fairly new to organized basketball he's not proficient when there are game plan adjustments made in-game. Maybe he is being prepared for several days with a specific plan in mind and if it gets tossed aside then he's more of a liability.

Everything said about Bowden and Schofield being key is well taken, but imo Grant bullying his way from the top of the paint for a basket inside a minute got us the W. Easy to take him for granted sometimes. ..sorry

Seems like last year KA started almost every game and only played up to about 10 total minutes per. It's weird. Maybe since he's still fairly new to organized basketball he's not proficient when there are game plan adjustments made in-game. Maybe he is being prepared for several days with a specific plan in mind and if it gets tossed aside then he's more of a liability.

good point...and I forgot to say thanks TGO...good stuff, and

PS. on the Forest...:)

GO VOLS!

Everything said about Bowden and Schofield being key is well taken, but imo Grant bullying his way from the top of the paint for a basket inside a minute got us the W. Easy to take him for granted sometimes. ..sorry

hear ya...also thought when Grant missed the FT and Bowden, I believe, got the rebound and scored, at about 2-3 min to go was big...you know, heck, I guess there were so many others too that provided the win...it was a hell of a game to watch...:eek:lol:

GO VOLS!

Late in the game, the guys need to calm down. They need to relax and play smart. We have had to many turnovers the last two games at the end of the game. I'm hoping Fulkerson can get back to doing what he did last year. He has looked out of sync. I know he is still getting over his injury mentally, but we need him or Walker to provide more when they come off the bench.

Last edited:
Late in the game, the guys need to calm down. They need to relax and play smart. We have had to many turnovers the last two games at the end of the game. I'm hoping Fulkerson can get back to doing what he did last year. He has looked out of sync. I know he is still getting over his injury mentally, but we need him or Walker to provide more when they come off the bench.

I think CRB is trying to get Fulk back in the groove. If he can not produce his minutes will go down in SEC play. But you are right we really need him and Walker to step up

last night was definitely a gutcheck, survival game and we came out ahead...whew wee...NC definitely had a bigger hangover than we did though...way to go Wofford...some guys stepped up...Bowden and Admiral shared the load and that's what a good team does...winning ain't always pretty but this team did it...and,

GO VOLS!

UT should be ashamed. UNC is clearly not as good as they are ranked b/c they lost to Wofford. UT losing to UNC is embarrassing.

/bf

Am I doing this thing right?

:rock::rock::rock:This was one of our worst games concerning free throws,62.5% or 15 out of 24 attempts. It could have cost us the game.
Thanks goodness we won this one.

VN Store

Back