BTO’s UNC postgame report (short)

bleedingTNorange

Gonna keep this one short, that game sucked out a lot of my energy, but here goes...

1. A 4 point loss to a Top 10 team is hard to be mad at, but considering we led for 38/40 minutes it sure felt like a disappointment, had hoped we had learned how to close out these kind of games...the turnover from Turner with a timeout in our pocket really hurt.

2. Hello James Daniel...he had a great game, hopefully that’s a sign of things to come from him. If he can continue to toe the line of facilitator/scorer he’s going to be hard to keep off the court, and that’s not even mentioning his solid defense.

3. We are 7-2, we are a game ahead at least of where most expected us to be, as Rick Barnes said this game win or lose won’t define our season...but where does this Vol team go from here? KP predicted a 1 point loss, that was pretty accurate, we fell to 24th in KP rankings, that also seems accurate imo. We play Furman and then at Wake Forest, these are 2 games we will be predicted to win, do that and we are in great shape, let the UNC game linger and drop one of these games and it will be a disappointment outcome to the OOC slate given our hot start.

In short, we appear to be a Top 25 team/Top 5 SEC team/5-7 seed NCAAT team...if that is so we should win these next 2 games, and enter SEC play 9-2.

Reactions: 13 people
We couldnt hit shots in the 2nd half. Thats what it comes down to. We had good looks, just couldn't hit. Its that simple. We are a good team. I firmly believe we are a top 15 team in the country.

Reactions: 4 people
If we enter into SEC play with only two losses........ I’ll be the happiest man in Knoxville.

Tough beat but Daniel did play well and Fulkerson got some much needed minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I thought we had it when we went up 3 with a minute left. We needed to burn the last time out during the trap in the corner.

I'm enjoying watching this team play and will be in town for the Furman game, but we have the roster of a good mid-major team, and we finished this game like mid-majors often do.

We'll make the tournament if Grant Williams stays healthy unless we hit a bad wall in the middle of league play.

I thought we had it when we went up 3 with a minute left. We needed to burn the last time out during the trap in the corner.

I'm enjoying watching this team play and will be in town for the Furman game, but we have the roster of a good mid-major team, and we finished this game like mid-majors often do.

We'll make the tournament if Grant Williams stays healthy unless we hit a bad wall in the middle of league play.

I haven't broken down the rosters of every SEC school, but ours is most likely better than at least half the league. Certainly better than Georgia, Ole Miss, South Carolina (this year), LSU, Vandy, and maybe Missouri without Porter. Not exactly sure what Auburn and MSU have this year.

TN only scored 6 points in the last 8 1/2 minutes. 3 or 4 guys had 4 fouls so that might have affected the offensive aggressiveness down the stretch run.

Who traveled on an inbounds out of a TO under UNC's basket? They lost focus and during the TO forgot that it wasn't after a made UNC basket. I wonder if the ref forgot to tell him too as they always do... even when there is no defensive pressure. Schofield or Alexander maybe?

Total # of turnovers wasn't horrible... but the impact late in the game was devastating. Turner threw it away (somebody actually got away with a push off just before) in a panic at the end and wasn't it at UNC last year that he forced the last shot instead of giving it up? Then he made that bonehead pass on the inbounds after CRB called TO with 4 seconds on the shot clock. I hope he's getting those late game screw ups out of his system. I like him in late since he's got ice in his veins knocking down the last second free throws. We need him to be reliable in those late situations.

Reactions: 1 person
I haven't broken down the rosters of every SEC school, but ours is most likely better than at least half the league. Certainly better than Georgia, Ole Miss, South Carolina (this year), LSU, Vandy, and maybe Missouri without Porter. Not exactly sure what Auburn and MSU have this year.

We'll probably finish in the top half of the SEC because of player effort and coaching, but on paper, we don't have a talented roster. The only 4* player wasn't a consensus 4*, and he's a freshman who's not ready.
To be fair, Williams should have been given 4* too.

I dogged Turner a little bit a couple posts ago. Some jackass on Basilio calls him Lamonte Turnover. I tell you what though, in addition to him being the guy I'd want at the FT line at the end of games... he's also a hell of a rebounder. I saw him boxing out guys much taller than him multiple times tonight. He's also very good at coming up with the 50/50 balls. I hate it that a couple of late errors tarnished his day. Don't forget, he hasn't even played a year and a half yet.

We'll probably finish in the top half of the SEC because of player effort and coaching, but on paper, we don't have a talented roster. The only 4* player wasn't a consensus 4*, and he's a freshman who's not ready.

Pons 4*, Johnson 4*

I agree with this for the most part, but I don't think we have a lot of weak links like we have in the past - or at least we are not counting on the weak links to provide a lot of minutes. Our depth can make up for a minor deficit in talent.

Thought Alexander was playing well for the most part. Don't understand why he didn't play much in last 10 min. Somebody help me out on that. Opinions?

I agree with this for the most part, but I don't think we have a lot of weak links like we have in the past - or at least we are not counting on the weak links to provide a lot of minutes. Our depth can make up for a minor deficit in talent.

Coaching, player development, and effort are making up for the talent deficit.
On paper, the talent deficit between us and UNC isn't just minor.
I'm very happy with how well our team played today, but we finished it like a 3* team.

Thought Alexander was playing well for the most part. Don't understand why he didn't play much in last 10 min. Somebody help me out on that. Opinions?
Barnes thought his hustle play was lacking. He missed a couple layups, but geting beat back on defense a couple times were the reasons he was sitting.

Still missing a shooter that knocks em down consistently. I'm not talking about a good shooter, I mean a shooter who doesn't miss when he is not covered. Every great team has one. With a consistent shooter the VOLS are undefeated right now.

I was wondering if Barnes was leaving Fulkerson in around 5-6 minutes because he had 4 fouls. Rather than sitting him at that point and then maybe being forced to play him at the end, he was going to get what minutes he had left earlier and if he was to foul out a better FT shooter would be in later.

I also wondered if Barnes is thinking beyond today and wants Fulkerson to use the experience to get back to last season's form. Fulkerson hasn't had a real good year so far, but for all we know he could be excellent in practice,

I give the team major props for effort. I was disappointed that the staff could not dial up a good out of bounds play. Thee play they ran with the lead and a minute to go was atrocious. Fulkerson is just not ready for a game like today. He hustles but his basketball skills are lacking. Twice he simply failed to get a body of his guy and let him get an offensive rebound which turned into points. The team runs more smoothly when Bone is running the point. It looks great when Daniel is making shots but when he is not Bone does the better job.

I am trying to figure out why Bone wasn’t in during that press situation.

I love this team, but it still sucks losing the oh-so-close ones to the big boys.
A win at this point over either Nova or NC would have really elevated our BBall profile.

VN Store

Back