Jarnell Stokes vs Grant Williams

Williams is more skilled. Rule changes that penalize players for banging into each other favor GW over Stokes as well.

How quickly yall forget.. Grant is a beast, i'm not taking anything away from him, he's the best player on the team, but so was Jarnell. Jarnell could take over a game and do whatever he wanted too on the low block against everybody.

Having said that, if Grant can do that tomorrow as a sophomore, then I'll change my mind.

How quickly yall forget.. Grant is a beast, i'm not taking anything away from him, he's the best player on the team, but so was Jarnell. Jarnell could take over a game and do whatever he wanted too on the low block against everybody.

Having said that, if Grant can do that tomorrow as a sophomore, then I'll change my mind.

Me too. We don’t Play tomorrow :)

You guys are crazy. Stokes averaged 12 and 10 on a team with Jeronne Maymon, Jordan McRae and Josh Richardson.

How good would Grant Williams be if he had Maymon's wide load boxing out on the low post and freeing Grant up for a 1 on 1 matchup for 20 minutes a game?

How good would Grant be if he had Jordan McRae slashing into the lane and drawing the double team in the paint before passing it to Grant for a wide open layup 3-4 times per game?

How good would Grant (the best shot blocker in school history) be if he had Josh Richardson playing the type of lockdown peremeter defense that would give Grant 4-5 more opportunities to defend his basket every game?

Stokes was great, and he might be a better pro than Grant will be--who knows. From a fundamental basketball standpoint, Grant has done a lot more with a lot less. Did we ask Jarnell to score like Grant does? No. But scoring aside, Grant is a better 2 way basketball player than Jarnell Stokes was in his 2nd year in the program.

Reactions: 2 people
. Jarnell could take over a game and do whatever he wanted too on the low block against everybody.

That seems like a little revisionist history to me man. Dude was real strong and a good college basketball player, but do what he wanted?? Man that would of been nice back in the day. People who take over games don’t blow as many bunnies as Stokes did in his career. Again I love Stokes, so don’t take it like I don’t like the man, but taking over games and Stokes aren’t synonymous.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow how quickly people forget. If Stokes were on this team he would be averaging at minimum 20 and 10. He had to share touches with Maymon, McRae, and Richardson. Stokes was an elite talent.

Wow how quickly people forget. If Stokes were on this team he would be averaging at minimum 20 and 10. He had to share touches with Maymon, McRae, and Richardson. Stokes was an elite talent.

Hahahahahahahahahahah McRae wasn’t anything till Jarnell’s sophomore year (and really not until Jarnell’s junior year), Maymon didn’t even play Jarnell’s sophomore year, and Richardson only became Richardson in Jarnell’s junior year, at the end, in the NCAA tourney. So why didn’t he average 20 and 10???

Anyways all of that is a moot point. It’s basketball. You play with 4 other people on the court. You gotta go get yours. If you didn’t average 20 and 10, then at the end of the day you didn’t average 20 and 10.

I love Jarnell. But to act like he was some dominant entity, that could do whatever he wanted on the basketball court, is just.........false.

Would have loved to have seen what Stokes could have done under Barnes.

Yes, he could have been a monster. Maymon too. All three of those guys are very similar. Strong as an ox, very skilled, yet short for their position. Williams may be the best overall of the three, but he's received the best coaching too.

GW is better facing the basket and has better hands than Stokes and Maymon.
Overall higher basketball IQ as well, which is not to disparage Jarnell or Jeronne.

Yes, he could have been a monster. Maymon too. All three of those guys are very similar. Strong as an ox, very skilled, yet short for their position. Williams may be the best overall of the three, but he's received the best coaching too.

Also we had that guy; can't remember his name; from back in the 90's that also had the same body type that was very good; always wore a headband a believe? Can someone help me??

Stokes was stiff and didn’t have good footwork.

Williams is the better player hands down.

VN Store

Back