2278 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] Page 21. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #301
BigZiti09
Sheep

College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]
College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingTNorange View Post
GT-160
Presbyterian-278
Well like I said, I would need to do more research to see where I'd draw the line.

Another thing you could do is.....

1-150 home
1-175 neutral
1-200 road

So it doesn't matter where you beat Presby. The GT win would be counted since it was at their place. If we played GT at home and won we'd be hoping they moved up into that 150 range.

Again, those numbers aren't necessarily where I'd draw the line. Just came up with those quickly for discussion.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #302
bleedingTNorange

College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZiti09 View Post
Well like I said, I would need to do more research to see where I'd draw the line.

Another thing you could do is.....

1-150 home
1-175 neutral
1-200 road
Not a bad thought
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #303
cncchris33

College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]
College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]
Quote:
Yeah pretty much. I would have to study it more to decide where exactly I would put those cutoffs. But pretty much that's how I view it.

And outside that last one I would only put a lot of weight into consideration if you lose one. But the wins against a team ranked 201 and a team ranked 351 shouldn't have a significantly different weight in my book.
What I tried explaining to you is that there isn't so much a difference in 151 and 351. It's the number of games that NCSU scheduled in that area. 75% of their wins come from that grouping. They just aren't going to get a lot of credit for them. As you said, throw them out. But if you throw those wins out, it really hurts NCSU's case because they don't have a whole lot of resumé outside of that. Sure, they have some nice wins, but they are 4-5 vs the good side of the 150+ mark. You simply can't schedule that many patsies and hope your SOS and RPI won't suffer.

Id be curious what the RPI rankings would look like if you threw out all the 150+ wins across the board, and you gave teams 3 points for a win, and 1 point for a loss. -3 for a loss to a 150+ team. I may try that in a bit with a handful of teams to see if it would shake up the order.

Last edited by cncchris33; 01-12-2018 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #304
BigZiti09
Sheep

College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncchris33 View Post
What I tried explaining to you is that there isn't so much a difference in 151 and 351. It's the number of games that NCSU scheduled in that area. 75% of their wins come from that grouping. They just aren't going to get a lot of credit for them. As you said, throw them out. But if you throw those wins out, it really hurts NCSU's case because they don't have a whole lot of resumé outside of that. Sure, they have some nice wins, but they are 4-5 vs the good side of the 150+ mark. You simply can't schedule that many patsies and hope your SOS and RPI won't suffer.

Id be curious what the RPI rankings would look like if you threw out all the 150+ wins across the board, and you gave teams 3 points for a win, and 1 point for a loss. -3 for a loss to a 150+ team. I may try that in a bit with a handful of teams to see if it would shake up the order.
Missouri and NCST have roughly the same # of games against opponents 150+. So I don't see how they don't have a resume.

I understand everything you're explaining to me.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #305
cncchris33

College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]
Quote:
Missouri and NCST have roughly the same # of games against opponents 150+. So I don't see how they don't have a resume.

I understand everything you're explaining to me.
NCSU's real beef should be with #15 Rhode Island and #19 Miami. Look at those resumés.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #306
GatorsGators

College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]
South Carolina was in the Top 50 of RPI before conference play started and still has a projected OOC RPI of 61 even though they've played two projected Top 100 games outside of conference play and lost both of them badly (vs. Temple and at Clemson).

The fact that playing Western Michigan twice is as valuable as playing Gonzaga and New Hampshire is a problem. Maybe RPI could add further weight to scheduling Top 50 (or 25, or wherever you prefer your arbitrary cutoff line) opponents, but I'm not sure how that would affect the overall formula.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #307
BruinVol

This thread was primarily about games that concerning the Vols and was fun to discuss with other Vol hoops fans. Disappointed it is here.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #308
VolGee4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinVol View Post
This thread was primarily about games that concerning the Vols and was fun to discuss with other Vol hoops fans. Disappointed it is here.
Yea, this thread was concerning UT's RPI, so it was relevant in the basketball forum.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #309
VolGee4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsGators View Post
South Carolina was in the Top 50 of RPI before conference play started and still has a projected OOC RPI of 61 even though they've played two projected Top 100 games outside of conference play and lost both of them badly (vs. Temple and at Clemson).

The fact that playing Western Michigan twice is as valuable as playing Gonzaga and New Hampshire is a problem. Maybe RPI could add further weight to scheduling Top 50 (or 25, or wherever you prefer your arbitrary cutoff line) opponents, but I'm not sure how that would affect the overall formula.
RPI is an index and just can't be used alone. You have to compare wins and losses against other RPI teams and where they are ranked.

They also played Wyoming and Illinois State, who are both in the top 100. They also have 2 road wins and 2 neutral wins, which help. Florida didn't even play a road game before conference play. All that said, the RPI isn't perfect.

Last edited by VolGee4; 01-13-2018 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #310
LittleCat
Retired Gato

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolGee4 View Post
RPI is an index and just can't be used alone. You have to compare wins and losses against other RPI teams and where they are ranked.

They also played Wyoming and Illinois State, who are both in the top 100. They also have 2 road wins and 2 neutral wins, which help. Florida didn't even play a road game before conference play. All that said, the RPI isn't perfect.
I always like using it at the end of the year. Everyone has played their OOC and in conference schedules. But throughout the year, especially early, it's deceiving.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #311
golfballs
Старший член

Man how about the job Chris Beard has done at Texas Tech. He did a tremendous job in the year he was at Little Rock and I thought he was still a high risk/reward hire but he came into a decent situation on the heels of Tubby and has taken the talent there and coached them to a next level
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #312
Hoosier_Vol
VFL #21,723

College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others] College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]
The Purdue win looks better every day. Boilers are flat out dominating right now!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #313
VolGee4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCat View Post
I always like using it at the end of the year. Everyone has played their OOC and in conference schedules. But throughout the year, especially early, it's deceiving.
From time to time, there will be a team that ends the year with a high RPI that is deceiving. They will have a low number of wins against the top 100 RPI. It's usually a mid major team that wins 20+ games, lost its conference tournament, and played several (but lost) high level teams out of conference. RPI can get skewed that way.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #314
cncchris33

Thanks mods.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #315
Thunder Good-Oil

What a brief, strange trip it's been.
Reply With Quote TOP