Accurate Synopsis

Johnnyreb#VFL

Work like heck
Per Rucker

“Barnes’ Vols are deep, talented and much more experienced, and they’re playing an exciting, end-to-end style that’s fun to watch. Players play short shifts and rotate in and out almost like a hockey team, but it’s working. Barnes has convinced them to give him everything they have for a few minutes at a time, and they have enough chemistry and selflessness on a balanced team to make even the most interesting combinations work. They can go big, they can go small. They can speed it up, they can slow it down. They can go man, they can go zone. But the bottom line is they play hard, and they’re thoroughly deserving of their current ranking.”

This is pretty dead on Wes. Nice work

Reactions: 16 people
I don't remember seeing much if any zone this year. But CRB's brand of man-to-man looks a lot like a zone.

I don't either.

Seems like it was possibly used briefly during the 3 games in Atlantis, but I'm not certain of that. Used it a handful if times over the previous two years.

They switch, double, and rotate help a lot in the Barnes M2M. One of his main principles is to not allow the offensive player to split defenders and attack the basket. That's sometimes leaving a backside player open at the basket for an easy score. And that's where Alexander has really stepped up his game... protecting the rim.

It's like the Grunfeld, Bernard King days all over again. Well..not really. Best team since the Bruce Pearl days though. Man..that team played above the rim but couldn't hit a shot to save their lives vs Michigan State that one year. Missed layup after missed lay up. 8 footers going in and out...Still mad about that game.

Reactions: 1 person
Speaking of the Grunfeld days, Grant Williams' style of play looks similar to Grunfeld. Grunfeld would twist and turn and grind his way down to the low post with his back to the basket, and then get his shot up over taller defenders.

Seems like it was possibly used briefly during the 3 games in Atlantis, but I'm not certain of that. Used it a handful if times over the previous two years.

They switch, double, and rotate help a lot in the Barnes M2M. One of his main principles is to not allow the offensive player to split defenders and attack the basket. That's sometimes leaving a backside player open at the basket for an easy score. And that's where Alexander has really stepped up his game... protecting the rim.

Also played some 2-3 against GA tech

Speaking of the Grunfeld days, Grant Williams' style of play looks similar to Grunfeld. Grunfeld would twist and turn and grind his way down to the low post with his back to the basket, and then get his shot up over taller defenders.

I thought the same. Physically they're similar but IMO Grunfeld was a lot better than Williams when facing the basket. EG was a better outside shooter. But when they clear the court for Williams to take his defender into the paint it strongly resembles what Grunfeld used to do.

Earnie G of Tennessee!! Those king and grunfeld teams were the greatest thing going in my life as a 12 years old. Mears was the leader of the the greatest show on earth back then.

These days, it’s the Grant and Admiral show. But I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Kyle Alexander. Boy has he come along. That’s one of the better surprises of the year so far imo. I totally did not expect him to be this far along.

I don't remember seeing much if any zone this year. But CRB's brand of man-to-man looks a lot like a zone.

They have went zone in certain situations, but it has been very scarce. Barnes even references going zone against ga tech in his post game presser. I think we may have went zone one other time in Atlantis but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

VN Store

Back