BTO’s Lipscomb postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. As Rick Barnes said, I’m not sure this is a game that we win last year...we had spurts that we were really good, but then spurts we were really bad, overall probably to date our “worst game”, however we came out with the W and that’s all that matters.

2. Nobody stood out to me individually as great, maybe that’s a testament to what we’ve come to expect from Grant Williams (finished with 19&8), Darrington was a pleasant surprise and seemingly is continuing his trend upwards, that could be something to watch.

3. We were better in the not fouling department tonight, but our rebounding left a lot to be desired once again. This may be a product of not playing very big, Fulk & Walker combined for only 14 minutes. We also didn’t shoot very well from deep, that may be something to watch going forward is what Rick ultimately does...go smaller sacrificing rebounding and rely on hitting shots, or go bigger which probably pulls your best players off the floor to compensate for rebounding.

4. Even in our struggles we played as a team, 22 assists on 25 made FG’s, that’s really impressive...Bone 6ast 1to Darrington 5ast 1to...however as a team we did have 15 turnovers, if we could get that number down around the 11/12 range it would be nice.

5. Tennessee is 7-1; ranked 24th nationally, 23rd by KP and has the 7th best RPI nationally...most of us were hoping for 8-4 and said 9-3 would be a huge success. At this stage 8-4 would be a disappointment, the expectation now should be at least 9-3 and 10-2 definitely looks possible. That puts the Vols in a good spot heading into conference play, simply go .500 and they should be in the big dance come Selection Sunday.

6. I see the Vols moving up to around 19 or 20 when the rankings come out Monday...the Vols have what is probably going to be the most hyped/best atmosphere/biggest game etc. that they’ve had inside of TBA in probably 4+ years...the Tar Heels come in as a Top 10 team, it will be Checker TBA, should be a fun atmosphere, the Vols will have their chance to catch the eye of everyone nationally come next Sunday. Here’s to hoping we see the Vols put together their best 40 minutes of the year, if they do that I think they have a legitimate shot at getting the W, but it’s definitely going to take a 40 minute effort.

7. That blonde...Dallas we need you to take one for the team brotha, all of your sins will be forgotten and you will immediately move to the top of VN’s most looked up to posters, get her to let you take her out on a date, just 1 man, you got this I got faith in you!!!

GBO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
1. As Rick Barnes said, I’m not sure this is a game that we win last year...we had spurts that we were really good, but then spurts we were really bad, overall probably to date our “worst game”, however we came out with the W and that’s all that matters.

2. Nobody stood out to me individually as great, maybe that’s a testament to what we’ve come to expect from Grant Williams (finished with 19&8), Darrington was a pleasant surprise and seemingly is continuing his trend upwards, that could be something to watch.

3. We were better in the not fouling department tonight, but our rebounding left a lot to be desired once again. This may be a product of not playing very big, Fulk & Walker combined for only 14 minutes. We also didn’t shoot very well from deep, that may be something to watch going forward is what Rick ultimately does...go smaller sacrificing rebounding and rely on hitting shots, or go bigger which probably pulls your best players off the floor to compensate for rebounding.

4. Even in our struggles we played as a team, 22 assists on 25 made FG’s, that’s really impressive...Bone 6ast 1to Darrington 5ast 1to...however as a team we did have 15 turnovers, if we could get that number down around the 11/12 range it would be nice.

5. Tennessee is 7-1; ranked 24th nationally, 23rd by KP and has the 7th best RPI nationally...most of us were hoping for 8-4 and said 9-3 would be a huge success. At this stage 8-4 would be a disappointment, the expectation now should be at least 9-3 and 10-2 definitely looks possible. That puts the Vols in a good spot heading into conference play, simply go .500 and they should be in the big dance come Selection Sunday.

6. I see the Vols moving up to around 19 or 20 when the rankings come out Monday...the Vols have what is probably going to be the most hyped/best atmosphere/biggest game etc. that they’ve had inside of TBA in probably 4+ years...the Tar Heels come in as a Top 10 team, it will be Checker TBA, should be a fun atmosphere, the Vols will have their chance to catch the eye of everyone nationally come next Sunday. Here’s to hoping we see the Vols put together their best 40 minutes of the year, if they do that I think they have a legitimate shot at getting the W, but it’s definitely going to take a 40 minute effort.

GBO!!!

So. We meeting at the Waffle House?

#6 biggest game in Knoxville in 4+ years?

Almost 8 years. Kentucky in 2010. Plus Kansas and even Mississippi a few weeks earlier. We've had several big wins versus Kentucky, but those TN teams weren't heading anywhere. This has the potential to be historic. Could also get blown out of our own gym.

Almost 8 years. Kentucky in 2010. Plus Kansas and even Mississippi a few weeks earlier. We've had several big wins versus Kentucky, but those TN teams weren't heading anywhere. This has the potential to be historic. Could also get blown out of our own gym.

Eh...I was figuring Zo’s last season, think we played a game that was sold out, had implications for NCAAT...wasn’t against the quality of opponent as Tar Heel but was a good atmosphere, hopefully Sunday’s will be better.

Eh...I was figuring Zo’s last season, think we played a game that was sold out, had implications for NCAAT...wasn’t against the quality of opponent as Tar Heel but was a good atmosphere, hopefully Sunday’s will be better.

Maybe Alabama. We lost a season ending game versus the Gumps. Although, that could have been ButterBean's year.

Cuonzo won the last 4 regular season games and went 1-1 in the SECT in 2014. Last home game in the 4 game run was spanking Missouri. Vandy 2 games before that as well. 18,519 for Mizz. 17.2k for Vandy.

Cuonzo won the last 4 regular season games and went 1-1 in the SECT in 2014. Last home game in the 4 game run was spanking Missouri. Vandy 2 games before that as well. 18,519 for Mizz. 17.2k for Vandy.

I was there for both of them. TBA was rocking!! Still not sell outs, but man when TBA is rocking, it’s amazing.

I was thinking that Missouri game was a sellout, guess not...when was the last sellout?

If we stop hitting those extended offensive funks, we could score 100.

Only scored 4 points in the first 7 minutes of the second half.

But we had a couple stretches in this game where we scored a bajillion.

We’ve been pretty consistently inconsistent at this. Figure it out, and we can make a serious run

We may get beat. I’ll even give you that NC may control the game. But I can’t see a blow out with the effort Barnes gets from his players.

Reactions: 3 people
We may get beat. I’ll even give you that NC may control the game. But I can’t see a blow out with the effort Barnes gets from his players.

We controlled the game at their place last year. A couple of late game bad calls/no calls helped them overcome what would have been a really bad loss

VN Store

Back