TG-O's Lipscomb post game bullet points

Thunder Good-Oil

• TN struggled to score in the paint. UNC will be even more difficult.
• There's no way Pons is ready to defend Mayes for UNC. He played a couple of minutes versus Lipscomb and looked like a freshman. Looks like Schofield and Bowden will have to be ready to defend.
• 11 players logged minutes. Kent and Johnson again saw zero court time. Pons and Fulkerson only had drive by minutes and Walker didn't log too many either (I haven't checked the box score... Williams might have had close to 8 or 10 quiet minutes). TN has an 8 man regular rotation with 5 guards (Bone, Bowden, Turner, Daniel, Darrington), Schofield, Williams, and Alexander. Darrington's minutes have been steadily increasing. Daniel, Darrington, and Turner look pretty comfortable together when TN goes with a small lineup.
• Bowden was consistently inconsistent on the offensive end. He was pretty good defending and not allowing #24 to take over.
• There were a bunch of stupid turnovers.
• Lipscomb split TN's defenders way too often. That kept TN from running away in a semi-blowout.
• Overall, it was kind of a snoozer of a game. TN maintained a 3 or 4 possession lead through most of the game. Got to the FT line 30x and made 24... but Turner missed an important one late and somebody missed the front end of a one plus one. Alexander did hit two late which helped close the door on Lipscomb.
• Rebounding was terrible early, but improved as the game progressed. There was a very important offensive board with about two minutes left while TN had a single digit lead.
• Somebody is going to have to step up for TN to have a chance versus UNC. Fulkerson had a really good game a year ago, but hasn't returned to that same level yet. It's probably going to be too much to ask for Williams or Pons to have a big game. Kent and Johnson don't appear to be ready to contribute. TN needs to limit the fouling in order to hang with UNC and the 5 guards are going to have be significant contributors. Schofield and/or Alexander will need to be huge.

Reactions: 5 people
I think having a week off was a big reason why UT wasn't sharp a lot of the game. Another week off, but I think UNC is off until Sunday as well.

I think its a positive that they won when they sure didn't play their best

Reactions: 2 people
I think having a week off was a big reason why UT wasn't sharp a lot of the game. Another week off, but I think UNC is off until Sunday as well.

This week off included final exams. Having next week off should be different with classes having ended plus I think that the limits on practice time are suspended during winter break. Hopefully TN looks a lot different after this coming week+ spacing between games than this past break... even though it's a couple of days longer.

Reactions: 1 person

This was a pretty good team they played. Matthews could know the bottom out of the basket, pure shooter.

This was a pretty good team they played. Matthews could know the bottom out of the basket, pure shooter.

It's been a well constructed pre-conference schedule. Even the 1 or 2 severely overmatched opponents do some things well that were good to go up against.

I thought they played well considering it was a trap game. Trust me they will be ready for the Heels.

nice...Thunder...playing at home will be the fire that lights up those but-tocks...should be good...hope nobody gets hurt...:)

PS. CHECKER TBA...:pepper::worship:

GO VOLS!

Not pretty at all today but that's the next evolution of this team...winning games where you don't play very well against half-decent competition.

I agree this game was "kind of a snoozer." I dont konw what it was about it but it just didnt have the same level of excitement as some of the previous games. It certainly wasnt the opposing coach's fault. I loved when he went ballistic thinking there was a goal-tend. Good win though.

VN Store

Back