BTO’s Georgia Tech postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. I had been saying this game would be closer than many were saying, GT wanted to muck it up and frustrate us, and they did just that...However to the credit of our Vols they found a way to still win this game, something I think there’s zero chance of them doing last year.

2. Shoutout to Lamonte Turner, he is what we hoped Detrick Mostella would be. Some games he disappears, but in game like this he is not afraid to take the big shot, also stepped to the FT line and went 9-9...he won us that game imo.

3. Alexander bounced back with a nice game, 11 rebounds is solid and had 3 or 4 blocks as well. Outside of Alexander & Turner nobody else really stood out...as I said it was an ugly game, but everyone chipped in and picked each other up and found a way to get the W.

4. Barnes has plenty for these guys to work on...gotta improve the fouling, still doing way too much of that. Also need to correct the rebounding which is somewhat surprising under Barnes, but right now we are not where we need to be in that department, hopefully it gets corrected.

5. This was a huge win, it may not look like it right now but this game is going to pay dividends in March, that’s right...March baby! The new team sheets the committee uses puts A LOT of weight into winning on the road, essentially this game would go into the same column as a win against UNC at home would (assuming GT ends up top 75).

6. Vols have a week off until they play Lipscomb at home, a decent MM but a game the Vols should win...if they do that they are 7-1, very likely to be ranked, and host North Carolina inside the Tommy Bowl in front of what is hopefully one of the best atmospheres we’ve seen in years. Pre-season we said Vols needed to go at least 8-4 OOC, at this point that would seem like a disappointment, this squad is raising the bar.

GBO!

Reactions: 14 people
Turner has improved tremendously. Great having him off the bench.

What happened to fulkerson?

1. I had been saying this game would be closer than many were saying, GT wanted to muck it up and frustrate us, and they did just that...However to the credit of our Vols they found a way to still win this game, something I think there’s zero chance of them doing last year.

2. Shoutout to Lamonte Turner, he is what we hoped Detrick Mostella would be. Some games he disappears, but in game like this he is not afraid to take the big shot, also stepped to the FT line and went 9-9...he won us that game imo.

3. Alexander bounced back with a nice game, 11 rebounds is solid and had 3 or 4 blocks as well. Outside of Alexander & Turner nobody else really stood out...as I said it was an ugly game, but everyone chipped in and picked each other up and found a way to get the W.

4. Barnes has plenty for these guys to work on...gotta improve the fouling, still doing way too much of that. Also need to correct the rebounding which is somewhat surprising under Barnes, but right now we are not where we need to be in that department, hopefully it gets corrected.

5. This was a huge win, it may not look like it right now but this game is going to pay dividends in March, that’s right...March baby! The new team sheets the committee uses puts A LOT of weight into winning on the road, essentially this game would go into the same column as a win against UNC at home would (assuming GT ends up top 75).

6. Vols have a week off until they play Lipscomb at home, a decent MM but a game the Vols should win...if they do that they are 7-1, very likely to be ranked, and host North Carolina inside the Tommy Bowl in front of what is hopefully one of the best atmospheres we’ve seen in years. Pre-season we said Vols needed to go at least 8-4 OOC, at this point that would seem like a disappointment, this squad is raising the bar.

GBO!

Trying to overshadow some one again. Smh :)

Has pastner improved as a coach since he left Memphis?
Acted like he knew what he was doing with his defensive adjustments.
This could be a top 50 win by March if they improve as much as they did last season.

Good write up. Great road win. When tech finally pulled it to 2 with about 3 minutes to go and the crowd started going crazy, I thought to myself, this is where we are really going to see what Tennessee is made of and have a good idea of their maturity and poise. And dog gone it, they sure in the heck closed that game out with some tough defense and clutch free throws. There is no panic in this team. GBO!

Reactions: 2 people
Has pastner improved as a coach since he left Memphis?
Acted like he knew what he was doing with his defensive adjustments.
This could be a top 50 win by March if they improve as much as they did last season.

Them getting Okogie back is going to help them, will definitely be Top 75ish imo...

As for Pastner, yea I think he’s improved some as a coach...also think he had bad chemistry on those Memphis teams.

Not at all, I was doing reports well before he started doing them...if he wants to continue by all means he can, but I’m not going to stop simply because he started doing them.

Exactly man. No reason for either of us to stop. I think it's fun being able to do them and it's cool having the multiple reports.

Reactions: 5 people
Good write up. Great road win. When tech finally pulled it to 2 with about 3 minutes to go and the crowd started going crazy, I thought to myself, this is where we are really going to see what Tennessee is made of and have a good idea of their maturity and poise. And dog gone it, they sure in the heck closed that game out with some tough defense and clutch free throws. There is no panic in this team. GBO!

Exactly where I was at...seemed like a ticking time bomb, could feel the momentum shifting and then Williams goes out and I had a bad feeling GT was gonna pull it off.

This is where I was hoping and expecting that we would be different from last year. This is exactly where I believe we are improved the most.

Reactions: 1 person
Sounded on TV like there were a lot of TN fans in attendance. Finally something to cheer about ( in men's athletics)

Them getting Okogie back is going to help them, will definitely be Top 75ish imo...

As for Pastner, yea I think he’s improved some as a coach...also think he had bad chemistry on those Memphis teams.

If you coach Memphis and you fill your roster with mostly Memphis players like Pastner did, then you have to have a a little magic to handle that coaching job. Memphis HS basketball has its own jacked up culture that involves a lot of cooks in the kitchen and a lot of egos. Partner was not able to handle that.

This is where I was hoping and expecting that we would be different from last year. This is exactly where I believe we are improved the most.

I know and it’s good to see. Man. I suffer from this chronic “here we go again, the wheels are falling off, they’re gonna blow it” mentality, as I think most of us UT fans do, but this team is working to improve that mentality in me. They got some fight and an apparent “closer” attitude. When they need to wrap things up, Barnes develops a plan and players go execute. Definelty something we’ve been lacking for a while in both major sports.

Good stuff BTO. Also both of you can keep writing post game reports, not uncommon for websites to do that.

As I’ve stated before, I write on both the Pistons and the Lions now on a Detroit website, so my writing time is taken. I still watch Tennessee play every game. And even still mod this forum too 😏😏😏

Reactions: 3 people
Also my postgame report thread names were much more creative 😁😁😁

Not at all, I was doing reports well before he started doing them...if he wants to continue by all means he can, but I’m not going to stop simply because he started doing them.

Nor should you, nor would we want you to. It's all good - exciting to actually have some fun stuff to report on. :rock:

VN Store

Back