volsarelife1 post game thoughts vs Georgia Tech:

volsarelife1

1. Not only a great win but this could end up being a good resume builder with a good road win. I'll take a "sloppy" win on the road any time.

2. One thing I really love about this team is how unselfish they are. They really love making the extra pass at times and finding the open man.

3. Turner and Bowden have become legit weapons with their 3 point shooting. Turner can be instant offense and I love him coming off the bench to bring a spark. I've mentioned it before but Bowden needs to be more aggressive and getting more shots. Turner by far the player of the game.

4. Our 3 point shooting and our defense is really coming around. We've become a legit 3 point shooting team. And our team defense is looking great. We're doing a good job at holding teams below their shooting average.

5. Kyke Alexander. After having a couple meh games, was glad to see him show up and produce today. Had a really good game overal.

6. Fouling. This has become one of the few negative recurring themes for them. While our defensive pressure has been great, they've got to cut down on their fouls. It's going to come back and eventually hurt us.

7. Speaking of fouls, we're actually a fairly decent free throw shooting team when we do get to the line.

8. Another negative tonight would be turnovers. Definitely was a little more sloppy and careless with the ball tonight.

9. We are in somewhat of trouble when Williams and Scholfield are both out in foul trouble. Kinda get lost in our identity and not sure what to do at times. With that said, it was great seeing us figure out how to win without them today.

10. Some final numbers. 23/27 on free throws for 84%. We shot 40% from 3. Both teams 36 rebounds. Held them to 38% shooting.

Reactions: 5 people
They’re fun to watch. Have been since Barnes got here, even with young and less talent. Barmes’s Work on the players from year to year is amazing to watch. The seeds he sowed last year have taken root. He knows how to coach them up. Great win.

He continues to develop talent!! Something we have not seen in the fall sport.

This team is fun to watch. They hustle and have so much depth, you never know who is going to be the player of the game. Obviously Williams is our horse, but between, Turner, Schofield, Bowden, and maybe Bone, any of these could put up 20+ points on any given night. Alexander has improved so much and has become a force in the paint, especially on defense and rebounding. I have the feeling Daniels will have some great games as well and I'm not sure we aren't a better team right now with him running the point vs. Bone. If Bone can start playing up to his ability, we could be a scary team come March

Reactions: 1 person
One more thing, is Jamie Luckie the worst ref or what? I thought he was single handily going to prevent us from winning tonight

I gotta tip my hat to Josh Pastner...he had a heck of a game plan with the constantly changing defenses. That kept us from getting comfortable and running our normal stuff which probably led to a lot of the sloppiness.

On gripe. I thought the officiating was pretty one sided at times and we got hit by a lot of "ticky tacky" stuff that doesn't get called in the SEC. Of course the difference in officiating in the ACC vs the SEC is the difference between a camp fire sing along and a barroom brawl.

Otherwise a heck of a fun game. Okay...who's next?

This team is fun to watch. They hustle and have so much depth, you never know who is going to be the player of the game. Obviously Williams is our horse, but between, Turner, Schofield, Bowden, and maybe Bone, any of these could put up 20+ points on any given night. Alexander has improved so much and has become a force in the paint, especially on defense and rebounding. I have the feeling Daniels will have some great games as well and I'm not sure we aren't a better team right now with him running the point vs. Bone. If Bone can start playing up to his ability, we could be a scary team come March

That's a good point, we have so many guys who could go off for 20+ each night.

I agree with you on Pastner. Never been a fan of his, but they were ready to play. I thought Mercer had better talent but GT was better coached. But home court provides returns in basketball.

Best thing I saw tonight was Schofield. He was absolutely AWFUL from the opening tip until midway thru the second half. Hitting those back to back threes were huge and then the free throws. Don't get me wrong he sucked overall but when he had to do it to get the win he did.

Biggest takeaway for me is UT finished what was at one point a one possession game after Williams and Alexander were out and the rest of team responded.

VN Store

Back