BTO’s Mercer postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Wasn’t sure what to think when I saw Schofield out of the lineup and Barnes going smaller with Daniel, Bone, Bowden, Williams and Alexander...after 40 minutes I approve. This move will pull minutes from bigs, such as Fulk/Pons/Walker, but that’s ok, those guys don’t demand minutes right now imo. Daniel is playing extremely well, Darrington looks better with every game, and the returning 3 guards continue to play well. Yes against bigger teams we may need to adjust, but I like this move by Barnes, get your best guys on the floor.

2. Speaking of the guards, this is James Daniel’s 2nd 10 assist 0 turnover game of the year, he also was a bit more aggressive offensively and played some good defense. Right now his experience and leadership are huge, but he’s also playing some damn good basketball, very deserving of big minutes going forward.

3. Continuing on the guards, Jordan Bowden answered the bell...some people had started requesting he be a little more aggressive, he had the 2nd most FGA tonight shooting 7-10 overall and 4-5 from deep, he’s gotta continue to do that. On the flip side Turner has never been accused of not being aggressive enough lol, but he continues to shoot extremely well as a 2 guard, both he and Bowden are legit threats from deep.

4. Disappointing effort from Alexander tonight after he turned in a great 3 games in Atlantis, he was basically non-existent tonight. Hopefully he can find the consistency and be a guy we can depend on to give us 6ppg 8rpg a night with a couple blocked shots.

5. For the negatives...we continue to foul a lot, thus giving teams a lot of points at the line, however I guess with our aggressive style that’s somewhat to be expected, regardless it’s something that needs worked on. We also were outrebounded again tonight, our leading rebounder was Bowden with 4, that can’t continue happen.

6. Vols are 5-1, they head to Georgia Sunday for another big opportunity...Georgia Tech isn’t a world beater but they expect to be a bubble team and this is a road game, would look great come March. A loss wouldn’t be season ending by any stretch, but a win would have the Vols very likely to be 7-1 and ranked in the Top 20 when the Tar Heels come to town in 2 and a half weeks. Also if you start to evaluate OOC most were thinking 8-4, beat GT to get to 7-1 and all of a sudden 9-3 or 10-2 seem much more likely than 8-4...big opportunity Sunday and hopefully the Vols are ready to play.

GBO!

Reactions: 11 people
Agree with everything. RB said Darrington Doesn't know where to go on offense. Kinda surprising 6 games in.

Agree with everything. RB said Darrington Doesn't know where to go on offense. Kinda surprising 6 games in.

He did miss some time due to ankle injury...but that post game presser from Barnes excites me, he wasn’t very happy. Mad they got outrebounded, says too many fouls, didn’t think they played as good of defense as they could’ve, that Darrington is getting there but can be so much better...he’s working his ass off to get these guys where he wants them, to me it sounds like he thinks the ceiling is extremely high for this squad.

He did miss some time due to ankle injury...but that post game presser from Barnes excites me, he wasn’t very happy. Mad they got outrebounded, says too many fouls, didn’t think they played as good of defense as they could’ve, that Darrington is getting there but can be so much better...he’s working his ass off to get these guys where he wants them, to me it sounds like he thinks the ceiling is extremely high for this squad.

Absolutely. Most impressive is Daniel. RB convincing him to change his game is major reason UT is off to a good start.

Agree with everything as well. Good write up.

Also--CLASSIC BTO move to completely disregard the other game and post game threads and post your own. The legend grows. I love this move.

Mod: "Should we merge these two post game threads in the basketball forum?"

Freak: "Is one of them BTO's?"

Mod: "Yup."

Freak: "We can probably let it slide this time, just forget you ever saw it."

Reactions: 1 person
Schofield did not start because of his shoulder injury. He had his left shoulder wrapped with a heat pad while he was going through the halftime warm up line. The heat pad appeared to be applied to the back of his shoulder area rather than on top if his shoulder.

Mercer's leading scorer sat out and he's a 6' guard. CRB probably went small to put more pressure on their other guards.

Darryl Strawberry's kid can't do much when he's forced to his left. He still worked his way right despite being fired to his left.

What a couple of insurer dunks by Pons... biggest crowd reaction of the night and it was garbage time or close to it.

Turner needs to get more consistent. He looked very good tonight, but disappears or is a liability for a game or two. He was lights out knocking down perimeter shots.

Schofield did not start because of his shoulder injury. He had his left shoulder wrapped with a heat pad while he was going through the halftime warm up line. The heat pad appeared to be applied to the back of his shoulder area rather than on top if his shoulder.

Mercer's leading scorer sat out and he's a 6' guard. CRB probably went small to put more pressure on their other guards.

Darryl Strawberry's kid can't do much when he's forced to his left. He still worked his way right despite being fired to his left.

What a couple of insurer dunks by Pons... biggest crowd reaction of the night and it was garbage time or close to it.

Turner needs to get more consistent. He looked very good tonight, but disappears or is a liability for a game or two. He was lights out knocking down perimeter shots.

As far as Turner goes, we got to accept he will appear some games in a big way, and some that we need him, he’ll disappear. That is the beautiful thing about this squad. Other than Williams, ANYBODY can have an off game and we can fade it, and still be competitive. Imo

Last edited:
Agree with everything as well. Good write up.

Also--CLASSIC BTO move to completely disregard the other game and post game threads and post your own. The legend grows. I love this move.

Mod: "Should we merge these two post game threads in the basketball forum?"

Freak: "Is one of them BTO's?"

Mod: "Yup."

Freak: "We can probably let it slide this time, just forget you ever saw it."

It's amateur hour in that other thread

VN Store

Back