volsarelife1 post game thoughts vs Mercer

volsarelife1

1. We certainly didn't have a let down after our Battle 4 Atlantis performance. I loved the defensive effort we started the game off with. (Was half was expecting a sluggish start).

2. Take away their 9 first half points from free throws and we held them to 17 points on 31% shooting. Excellent defense. They finished the game shooting 37%.

3. Biggest complaint would be our still fouling too much. Still need to learn to defend better without fouling.

4. 8/12 on 3s in the first half. I can't remember the last time we started a game that hot from the outside. Finished the game with 13 3s made. That's what makes this team so fun and potentially dangerous. If we're knocking down the outside shot, opens up more for Williams and Scholfield in the paint and mid range game. Williams had his usual dominant performance.

5. Speaking of 3s, shout out to our shooting guards in Bowden and Darrington. Loved seeing them both being aggressive. Need to have that happen for often from them both. Only complaint from Bowden would be after a hot first half he had his usual 2nd half disappearance. When he's hot I want to see him keep being aggressive.

6. 15/5. That was our assist to turnover ratio in the first half. I'll take a 3/1 ratio every single game. Finished with 26 assists to 11 turnovers. Excellent.

7. Daniel and Darrington. I'm loving how much they have bought in on the defensive side. They were hounds on defense tonight. Speaking of Daniel. How about 10 assists to 0 turnovers.

8. The last 8 minutes was pretty sloppy. But that was after we went on a run and put it out of reach, so I'm ok with it.

9. Finshed the game shooting 55% from the field, 52% from 3 and 78% from the line. We forced them into 20 turnovers to only 10 assist.

10. This is the most fun I've had watching since about that 4 year stretch under Pearl.

Ps. A little extra one. **** John Currie

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Daniel almost had a double double with those 10 assists and 9 points on three three pointers.

Pons had a couple of dunks late that electrified the crowd.

Tough game coming up Sunday against a defensive minded Georgia Tech squad in Atlanta.

Bowden needs to have a scorers mentality. Look to score every time each time he has the ball. Good win tonight against a solid mid major. Grant is becoming more of a beast each game.

Give it up for turner too. Had a very good game. Wasn’t shot hungry, and was letting the offense come to him.

Didn’t get to watch a minute, but outstanding win!!! Their squad had a couple of reasons to want the win here.

Great win and keep on keeping.

1. We certainly didn't have a let down after our Battle 4 Atlantis performance. I loved the defensive effort we started the game off with. (Was half was expecting a sluggish start).

2. Take away their 9 first half points from free throws and we held them to 17 points on 31% shooting. Excellent defense. They finished the game shooting 37%.

3. Biggest complaint would be our still fouling too much. Still need to learn to defend better without fouling.

4. 8/12 on 3s in the first half. I can't remember the last time we started a game that hot from the outside. Finished the game with 13 3s made. That's what makes this team so fun and potentially dangerous. If we're knocking down the outside shot, opens up more for Williams and Scholfield in the paint and mid range game. Williams had his usual dominant performance.

5. Speaking of 3s, shout out to our shooting guards in Bowden and Darrington. Loved seeing them both being aggressive. Need to have that happen for often from them both. Only complaint from Bowden would be after a hot first half he had his usual 2nd half disappearance. When he's hot I want to see him keep being aggressive.

6. 15/5. That was our assist to turnover ratio in the first half. I'll take a 3/1 ratio every single game. Finished with 26 assists to 11 turnovers. Excellent.

7. Daniel and Darrington. I'm loving how much they have bought in on the defensive side. They were hounds on defense tonight. Speaking of Daniel. How about 10 assists to 0 turnovers.

8. The last 8 minutes was pretty sloppy. But that was after we went on a run and put it out of reach, so I'm ok with it.

9. Finshed the game shooting 55% from the field, 52% from 3 and 78% from the line. We forced them into 20 turnovers to only 10 assist.

10. This is the most fun I've had watching since about that 4 year stretch under Pearl.

Hell yea!!! Love them vols! Barnes showing his coaching abilities and yes ps. **** John Currie

I agree with 90% of this but there is a major exception. Rebounding. Rebounding. Rebounding. That's the third game in a row we've been beaten on the boards. It's a problem because on nights we aren't killing it from the arc, if we don't rebound our misses and steal possessions from the other guys on their end, we'll get beaten by a team we should beat.

Not a big fan of the large volume of fouls we are giving up but we are defending awfully well.

Otherwise it was a great game against a very good mid major, although they were missing their leading scorer. Even with him we'd win 9 out of 10 against them so I'm good with what we're doing for the most part.

VN Store

Back