• In Knoxville: Series tied, 2-2

• In Macon: Mercer leads, 2-0

• Neutral Sites: UT leads, 1-0

• Current Streak: Tennessee has won two straight

• Last Meeting: Tennessee won, 64-54, on Dec. 22, 2014

• Rick Barnes vs. Mercer: 2-0

• Rick Barnes vs. Bob Hoffman: 1-0

Reactions: 2 people
• Tennessee is in the midst of a 30-day span during which it will play four ACC opponents. The Vols are 1-0 vs. ACC teams so far.

• Tennessee leads the SEC and ranks ninth in the country in offensive rebounding (15.4) behind Kyle Alexander's league-best average of 4.4 orpg.

• The Volunteers also lead the SEC in steals with 8.6 spg.

Reactions: 3 people
• Extend Tennessee's home winning streak against non-conference opponents to nine games. That streak dates to last season's win over Appalachian State on Nov. 15, 2016.

• Even the Vols' all-time series with Mercer at 4-4

Reactions: 3 people
Only a 9 pt favorite must mean Mercer is pretty good. Thanks SEC network as I won't be watching

Should beat them by 10-15+ . Nice little stretch on the schedule to prepare for unc.

Should beat them by 10-15+ . Nice little stretch on the schedule to prepare for unc.

There’s a reason the line is 9 by both Vegas and KenPom...Mercer is no slouch, veteran team that won’t be intimidated coming into TBA. They lost by 9 to both Colorado & UCF, I wouldn’t be shocked to see this game also close to that same margin.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 5-10 point game.

Mercer is a good team

This, and coming off B4A I could see a little let down and slow start...if the Vols come out with a win I will be happy, not too worried about style points in this one...just need a W.

There’s a reason the line is 9 by both Vegas and KenPom...Mercer is no slouch, veteran team that won’t be intimidated coming into TBA. They lost by 9 to both Colorado & UCF, I wouldn’t be shocked to see this game also close to that same margin.

Yeah, I’ve seen them play once this year. The break in between games will be good for us I think.

Mercer is a solid NCAA Tournament team every season and the keys to winning this game is to feed Grant Williams as much as possible and keep turnovers to a minimum.

This game will be good work for Bone/Daniel/Turner. That 6', 150# guard is their primary threat on offense. On D I wonder if they hid him in a zone or if it's an opportunity for Daniel especially to light it up.

That pic of Williams in the OP makes me think.., we're lucky that he's only 6'5" or so. If he was 6'8" he'd be at Duke or KY or Kansas or Louisville or UNC. If TN was still lucky enough to sign him he'd be one-and-done or two-and-done at most. He's in a great place that's mutually beneficial to himself and the program. It's not unreasonable to wonder if his number will be in the rafters one day. He still has more than 2 and a half years remaining and couldn't have been much more impressive so far.

https://t.co/ZM6eIA2AAx

5. Mercer at Tennessee: The Vols better be ready for this one. Mercer is no joke. Saw it at Liberty. Ria’n Holland can ball with any SEC guard. The size, length and athleticism of Stephon Jelks could be an issue. Desmond Ringer, if he stays out of foul trouble, can be a load in the post. Marcus Cohen and Ethan Stair are Bob Hoffman’s glue guys who will make plays when the game matters most.

Now Grant Williams can deliver for the Vols. Tennessee coach Rick Barnes said after the win over NC State that the staff asks a lot of Williams. Hoffman is great at taking away the top player on the opposing team. So this will be a test for him. Mercer starts five seniors, so playing on the road won’t faze them. This will turn out to be a quality win if the Vols grab it tonight.

-Andy Katz

Reactions: 2 people
Look on the bright side, looks like we just might become a basketball school after all the way the coaching search is going. :)

Reactions: 1 person
The atmosphere should be amazing (and have nothing to do with the game) I wonder if Bev & John will be in attendance?

Can’t remember, is thisbthe first meeting since McRae, Rich and Stokes run against them a few years ago?

As I go back and look at Yankee’s info.

VN Store

Back