Unofficial TN @ GA Tech Yellow Jackets 12/3/2017 pre-game

As of this morning, Ken Pom has us @ 33 and Tech at 63. For what it's worth at this point in the season, live-rpi.com has us at 31.

Georgia Tech and Northwestern played a tight game last night and UT will need to stop Lammers inside and limit the 3 point looks that Tech likes to shoot coming off cuts to the basket.

There are a lot of seats avail on ramblinwreck web site.
Prices range from $25-75.

We're killing opponents in the paint this season. Lost once (in the paint) to NC st.
Killed Nova but couldn't get to the foul line and couldn't hit when we did.
Bucoo points off Tos too.
Continue this formula and we put GT in the win column.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks to wins by Purdue and NCSU in the ACC-B10 challenge, Tenn's RPI is 18 (+16 since 11/27). Kenpom rates UT at #27.

I still don't understand how Pastner went from about to be fired at Memphis to head coach at Georgia Tech. That's some John Currie type coaching hiring.

They shoot very well from the free throw line. Need to figure out how to keep from fouling so much.

UT gets this win and they have their 1st true win on the road against a good enough team that the resume, UT is building is off to almost the best possible start, I could have imagined.

Reactions: 2 people
UT gets this win and they have their 1st true win on the road against a good enough team that the resume, UT is building is off to almost the best possible start, I could have imagined.

Your getting me all warm and fuzzy inside

I think Kyle and Grant can do some damage inside to GA Tech. We have too much firepower for them to catch us if our guards get hot from outside. I want Fulk and Walker to gain some confidence and be aggressive when they get the ball down low. Sprinkle in some Pons for about 5 -6 minutes of good defense and hustle plays.

They shoot very well from the free throw line. Need to figure out how to keep from fouling so much.

Hope this doesn’t sound like a smart a$$ reply, but more feet moving and less reaching would be a huge start. As the season progresses, they should also understand where to be and when to be there in help defense. So the recovery fouls will be fewer.

Hope this doesn’t sound like a smart a$$ reply, but more feet moving and less reaching would be a huge start. As the season progresses, they should also understand where to be and when to be there in help defense. So the recovery fouls will be fewer.

Per Ken Pom and @TheAthleticCBB, @Vol_Hoops is one of just three teams in the country (West Virginia and St. John's are the others) to rank in top 25 in turnover % (9), blocks % (7) and steals % (24). @RickBarnesUT finally has aggressive defense he's wanted.
-Chris Dortch (Blue Ribbon Magazine)

We are playing an aggressive style, so my guess is Barnes is going to weigh continuing to be aggressive/fouling...I don’t have the numbers to back it up but my guess is your aggressive style teams are typically going to be higher in the fouls than your teams that aren’t as aggressive. Yes some of the fouls have been dumb, but not many, most have appeared to be effort fouls going for rebound or guys getting called for body/hands when pressuring the ball handler, that’s going to come with being an aggressive team imo.

If you take away free throws made by our opponents we would be holding teams on average to 39ppg, obviously that’s not even feasible for the best defensive teams in the country. So we are going to give up points somewhere, we aren’t doing it in typical offensive sets so it’s coming from the free throw line, even so we are among the best defensive teams in the country.

If Barnes can watch tape and find a way to eliminate those 4-5 fouls a game that aren’t effort, but dumb fouls, watch out.

We are playing an aggressive style, so my guess is Barnes is going to weigh continuing to be aggressive/fouling...I don’t have the numbers to back it up but my guess is your aggressive style teams are typically going to be higher in the fouls than your teams that aren’t as aggressive. Yes some of the fouls have been dumb, but not many, most have appeared to be effort fouls going for rebound or guys getting called for body/hands when pressuring the ball handler, that’s going to come with being an aggressive team imo.

If you take away free throws made by our opponents we would be holding teams on average to 39ppg, obviously that’s not even feasible for the best defensive teams in the country. So we are going to give up points somewhere, we aren’t doing it in typical offensive sets so it’s coming from the free throw line, even so we are among the best defensive teams in the country.

If Barnes can watch tape and find a way to eliminate those 4-5 fouls a game that aren’t effort, but dumb fouls, watch out.

On one level the fouls don't really bother me much. We have the depth to spread them around and still keep everybody out of major foul trouble, although there will always be an exception. On the other hand, the points definitely are a bother, but if we were less aggressive would we give up more field goals and let the other team get on a roll? In any event a dumb foul is a dumb foul no matter how you look at it, don't contribute anything, and need to go.

Aggressive style play is gonna draw some. I just wish we were doubling the inbound on the press(to cause a TO), till they crossed mid court, that would imo make up for the excessive fouls so far.

Last edited:
Edit!!... I’m not *****ing, just saying the fouls so far would be easier to swallow.

VN Store

Back