Unofficial TN v Mercer Bears 11/29/2017 pre-game

So what do we know about Mercer? I really have no idea except they have been a tourney team in recent history.

Mercer was voted preseason #1 in Southern conference by media yet #5 by coaches. They have an all-conference gaurd in Ria'n Holland. Currently sitting in 1st place at 4-2 with two losses, each by 9 pts to UCF and Colorado.

Reactions: 1 person
Mercer is much improved from last year. They're very experienced, and return pretty much their entire team. The starting 5 are the same as last year, all seniors now.

Mercer does a great job of drawing fouls which is definitely an issue for us this year. And they're shooting 78% from the stripe. They also shoot over 40% from 3. Because of that I could see them hanging around.

Reactions: 2 people
This game can't get here fast enough. I just want to watch a good UT team and escape (like a Calgon bath) everything that's happened since UT finished off NC St. Friday afternoon. We need UT to not look past Mercer and take care of business, for my sanity

This game can't get here fast enough. I just want to watch a good UT team and escape (like a Calgon bath) everything that's happened since UT finished off NC St. Friday afternoon. We need UT to not look past Mercer and take care of business, for my sanity

Agree. Last Wed is the first time I’ve been emotionally invested in a Tennessee game since last yr(football) against SCjr.

Go BasketVols!

Didn't Mercer knock UT out of the NCAA tournament recently?

Ummm no. They knocked the dookies out. Josh R & company knocked the crap out of Mercer in the round of 32 to advance to the sweet sixteen in 2014.

IIRC Mercer beat the Vols in an uninspired NIT game a year or two before the NCAA tourney game.

Last edited:
Ria'n Holland is having a good year. Was part of a solid Wichita state team too, though didn't see much time. Think it'll be a good win, even though its Mercer, on the ol' tourney resume.

Ria'n Holland is having a good year. Was part of a solid Wichita state team too, though didn't see much time. Think it'll be a good win, even though its Mercer, on the ol' tourney resume.

Averaging 20 PPG
40% 3s
87% FTs

6'0" 150 pounds

VN Store

Back