Rick Barnes recruiting vs coaching

jtipto10

Ok originally this was gonna be a response to some posts in some of the bball forum threads but it got so long that it needed its own thread. It deals with the common argument that Barnes isn't trying to recruit highly rated guys (lazy) vs he's trying to get guys to coach up (selective).

Generally speaking, there are mile wide gaps between simply making the tournament and being one of the 10-12 teams that have legitimate chances of winning the NCAA tournament. This current team and it's immediate future are definitely closer to one of those than the other. Obviously you have your outliers (USC last year, which I would argue still didn't really have a chance to win it even though they made the final four, but that's another discussion), but no one wants to be an outlier. Our ultimate goal is to be a team that's regularly in the discussion.

I did not go back and look at all the final four teams because it would take forever, but if you look at each NCAA tournament champion over the last 20ish years (or whenever services started to rate players), they were each composed of multiple 4 and 5 star players. Most also had some 3 star guys, but the foundational cores were made of of highly recruited, highly rated players. Many teams also had significant contributions from at least one one-and-done player, although this was actually less common than you might think. And basically all of them had someone go on to get drafted.

No one is arguing that rick barnes should, if he is even able to, go out and sign a bunch of one and done guys like kentucky. If anything, we have a lot of evidence that this method doesn't win championships at a high rate (although a higher rate than we've ever won at). People just want him to go out and get higher rated guys. Think of Jarnell Stokes. He could have been a significant contributor on a championship team. Other examples: Grayson Allen, Joel Berry III, Florida's two title teams, Kemba Walker, Frank Mason etc. There are TONS of examples littered over previous title teams' rosters. Seriously, go take a look. Super talented 3-4 year guys everywhere.

People love to talk about coaching low rated guys up, but there are no examples of this actually working to produce a title in recent (last 20 years) history, and only sparse examples of them making final four runs consistently. Probably the closest you can find are Butler's runs (and I would argue they weren't just coached up, but they were coached up by one of the top 2 or 3 talent developers in all of basketball). But again, we're talking about outliers and we don't want to be an outlier. We want to be a regular. We want to have an expectation that we can potentially make the final four year in and year out. Rick Barnes is a good coach but he's not turning into Brad Stevens any time soon.

So why am I typing all of this? My point is that in life it doesn't make sense to attempt to operate in theory when there is good data grounded in reality in front of us. I love the heck out of our team. They're fun to watch, they clearly like each other, they play hard, and they seem like really good kids. But I have zero expectations for Rick Barnes to be able to win a title with this roster or any rosters built like it, because it just doesn't happen anymore. And if our ultimate goal isn't to win a title, then we're no different than vanderbilt in football. I refuse to believe that UT can't be a place where both sports flourish.

Putting together a 1-5 lineup full of chris lofton-like talents would take as much luck as skill by the coaching staff (don't try to tell me buzz freaking peterson saw something special in him that somehow everyone else missed). So that's why people, including myself, want Barnes to go get some highly rated guys that we already all agree are good talents and THEN coach them up. They don't have to be one and dones, they can be 2-4 year guys with definite pro potential. That's what wins titles. That's what gets you competing for conference championships and final fours on a year in, year out basis. I hope that clears things up and keeps people from going after each other's throats.

TL,DR - you can both recruit highly rated guys AND coach them. No one is forcing us to pick and choose. These types of teams compete for championships consistently.

Sure, if we want to contend for championships we need more talent, but if we want that talent to come, we have to build the program into something that 5 stars want to play for.

When Barnes showed up, with a roster devoid of talent, and a program that was embarrassed, he wasn’t exactly in position to grab a bunch of blue chips, so he got players he knew he could mold into something he could work with.

The results look good now, so let’s enjoy it. Here’s to an exciting season, hopefully some excitement in the NCAA tourney, and maybe winning enough big games to catch the eyes of a few big fish.

Reactions: 17 people
Sure, if we want to contend for championships we need more talent, but if we want that talent to come, we have to build the program into something that 5 stars want to play for.

When Barnes showed up, with a roster devoid of talent, and a program that was embarrassed, he wasn’t exactly in position to grab a bunch of blue chips, so he got players he knew he could mold into something he could work with.

The results look good now, so let’s enjoy it. Here’s to an exciting season, hopefully some excitement in the NCAA tourney, and maybe winning enough big games to catch the eyes of a few big fish.

100% agree, but I think most people's concerns are that, from what we can tell, there wasn't even much contact made with isaiah stokes, garland, sexton, etc. This is Basilio's entire message which is what sparks most of the debate about the matter. I'm not faulting him for not getting these guys, it just seemed like Pearl's name came up with every 4 and 5 star player in the southeast and we don't get any of that with Barnes. Maybe we just don't hear about it, but it's still concerning.

That being said, things seem to be trending in the right direction. I love that he's recruiting internationally. He's also making traction with Anfernee Simons.

Last edited:
Barnes is being selective, not targeting every player just because they have a bunch of stars by their names. You can tell by looking closely at the current roster. Sometimes the talent isn't worth having in the family when there's a lot of **** that comes with it. The Ball kids for example have a lot of talent and stars... but IMO they're not worth the associated drama that would disrupt a team like TN.

If Stokes had a serious interest in TN, was drama free, and the evaluations indicated that he had minimal or only correctable issues then no doubt he would have been pursued more vigorously (assuming that he wasn't... but I'm not convinced that he or any number of others weren't... CRB doesn't necessarily show his cards). Jarnell is far from a die hard VFL like a Peyton, Eric Berry, Fred White, Ron Slay, etc. Isaiah was very likely always a long shot.

If a coach over promises to get recruits or doesn't take the alpha dog role then the chemistry and discipline will be problematic.

What works is dynamic. It's not a static formula for success. It was chaotic when Bruce was here, but with all of the variables it worked for a while. If his approach was flawless he'd be having more success today. It wasn't all Bruce... Bruce was one of the variables that converged along with Buzz's recruiting, guys like Weezy and JP coming into the mix, the fan base starving for a winner, most likely floundering competition, boosters ready to step up, Dickey no longer putting little priority in basketball success, along with numerous other variables.

I trust that Barnes knows what he's doing. TN was never going directly from a blazing dumpster fire to consistent Final Fours. Barnes will make adjustments as the program grows. His first teams lacked numbers and then size. Progress is being made. There are over 300 teams competing for the 4/5 stars and Nattys. I'm cool with getting into the NCAAT consistently. After that consistent Sweet 16s would be a worthy goal. It's not going to happen in a straight line. TN will regress at some point, but as long as the multi-year moving average of wins and tournament success is advancing, we're good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I suspect that one of the criteria for a Barnes recruit is that they can not have a me first attitude and expect to have success in his system. I'm all for a team first approach and if it fails to deliver results my fandom will fall off when the roster gets filled up with a bunch of jabronies.

Reactions: 2 people
100% agree, but I think most people's concerns are that, from what we can tell, there wasn't even much contact made with isaiah stokes, garland, sexton, etc. This is Basilio's entire message which is what sparks most of the debate about the matter. I'm not faulting him for not getting these guys, it just seemed like Pearl's name came up with every 4 and 5 star player in the southeast and we don't get any of that with Barnes. Maybe we just don't hear about it, but it's still concerning.

That being said, things seem to be trending in the right direction. I love that he's recruiting internationally. He's also making traction with Anfernee Simons.

Barnes and Pearl come from two opposite ends of the spectrum. Expecting Barnes to do anything like Pearl is like expecting the sun not to rise in the east.

Just win. The foundational approach Barnes has taken has been explained ad nauseum. Not worth discussing anymore. He has built a solid foundation, and is now building on it with higher ranked kids...Yves Pons in 2017, Simons potentially in the 2018 class, and the Gaines kid committed for 2019.

Right now, we just have a slow period in recruiting because we don't have much in the way of available scholarships to offer for '18, and '19 is still a ways off yet.

Coming from where UT was in bball, Rick takes guys who fit his mold who will come to UT. Upward trajectory. We play all season like we did yesterday and the talent will come. Dude can coach and develop talent.
1atbcw.jpg

Reactions: 8 people
No one around here is thinking BB Championships at the moment.
But.
The game against Purdue was one of the most satisfying and encouraging i've watched in many years. Barring a rash of serious injuries this team will have several games where the offense and D show up on the same day.
For now I think most of us will be satisfied with making THE post season field where there is always a chance of a Cinderella making an unexpected run.

Reactions: 3 people
No one around here is thinking BB Championships at the moment.
But.
The game against Purdue was one of the most satisfying and encouraging i've watched in many years. Barring a rash of serious injuries this team will have several games where the offense and D show up on the same day.
For now I think most of us will be satisfied with making THE post season field where there is always a chance of a Cinderella making an unexpected run.

Yep, wasn't it refreshing to see a UT team just get out there and hustle and play with passion? Looking forward to seeing how we stack up against Villanova.
Have to stop their runs. Think we're deep enough to keep it close, if we play like yesterday.

Didn't see that sort of effort, for a full game, at any point during football season.

Barnes record speaks for itself too OP. Team basketball has to overcome not having 5*s all over the court. Being able to roll 10 very athletic AND chip on the shoulder type bodies out for an entire game is going to be HUGE for Barnes to show the country he still has it and make recruits excited for his brand and our university. Making the tournament...getting a win or 2 goes a long way for the future. I’m just saying :dunno:

I'm continually amazed by the Ricky Bobby "if you ain't first you're last" attitude of volnation. Whatever happened to enjoying a competitive athletic contest played by a cohesive well coached team? UT has never smelled a natty championship in bball, but some appear to label CRB a failure if he can't have them challenging for one on a yearly basis? 2017-18 appears to have the potential to be one of the more enjoyable teams to cheer for since the CBP days. The CCM sweet 16 run was fun but the regular season was more frustrating than fun for me. After the last decade of UT sports, I'm just going to enjoy watching UT field a competitive team in a sport besides softball.

Reactions: 7 people
If Barnes can scout talent that is underrated then I'm all for it.

I'd say Bowden and Williams were grossly underrated. Grant was a three star but regularly went toe to toe with the top prospects in the nation. If Grant were 2 inches taller he'd already be in the NBA.

If you told me Alexander would have a double double against Purdue's bigs, I'd never believe it. But here it is.

hey, this ain't Kaintuck...to me, that's a good thing...Coach Barnes is our coach, so...give'em hell Rick...:)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The issue here is your whole post is in reference to competing for championships, unfortunately that's just not logical and as you said "historical data" shows that. Tennessee has never won a NCAA championship, never been to a Final Four and has only made 1 Elite 8 in their entire history...thinking Tennessee should compete for championships on a consistent basis is just foolish imo. I don't mean that to sound harsh, but I think if you polled this fan base you would find that about 99% of fans would be very happy with just making the tourney every year. As others have mentioned from there it's about matchups, but you've gotta make the dance first.

And fwiw while yesterday was very encouraging, I'm not going to overreact to 1 game. Tennessee still has 2 more games to play in Atlantis so we will see how those games go...as I said it was a positive sign but before I'm ready to start the crow eating thread I've gotta see a little more lol.

Reactions: 1 person
Agreed with BTO. Don’t need to compete for championships, just need to get in and have a little luck.

I think of it like baseball or hockey more than NFL or NBA - the winners aren’t really determined, it’s a bit of a dice roll. Heck, think about our Martin run- we barely got in and got a much better draw than some great teams. I would be very happy with some sweet 16s or elite 8s from Barnes, but I’m not really gonna think about final fours or more for like 5 years.

I also am happy with just going to the big dance 3 out of every 4 years. I am happy with a competitive and energetic team like we have now. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a national championship team in Bskb. at least in next 20 years as long as Ky is in the league. Check your testosterone at the door.

UT is a football school first. That is where the main focus will remain. Most of VN is still hoping to become that competitive and energetic football force that we once were.

Tennessee needs to aspire to be a team that makes the dance 4 out of 5 years and never go more than a year without making it.

That’s how you elevate your program. You go every year and you will eventually make a run. You make one run and in turns into two and snowballs. You start doing those things and the caliber player you can get goes up too.

Regardless of what recruits we target or land the ultimate goal needs to be to make the tournament consistently.

Tennessee needs to aspire to be a team that makes the dance 4 out of 5 years and never go more than a year without making it.

That’s how you elevate your program. You go every year and you will eventually make a run. You make one run and in turns into two and snowballs. You start doing those things and the caliber player you can get goes up too.

Regardless of what recruits we target or land the ultimate goal needs to be to make the tournament consistently.

3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5 is reasonable. Historically TN might be closer to being in the NCAAT 1 out of 4 years. BUT some of TNs best teams (during the Mears era) were being fielded during the one bid per conference years. Ever since the NCAAT went to 64+, TN has had some of it's worst eras in it's history thanks to Dickey, Wade, Buzz, KO, Donnie, and even the beginning of Cuonzo and Barnes which I don't blame them for so much (except Cuonzo shoulders most of the blame for ButterBean's crap year).

3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5 is reasonable. Historically TN might be closer to being in the NCAAT 1 out of 4 years. BUT some of TNs best teams (during the Mears era) were being fielded during the one bid per conference years. Ever since the NCAAT went to 64+, TN has had some of it's worst eras in it's history thanks to Dickey, Wade, Buzz, KO, Donnie, and even the beginning of Cuonzo and Barnes which I don't blame them for so much (except Cuonzo shoulders most of the blame for ButterBean's crap year).

We can be better than we’ve been historically though. Just gotta make one good hire and you are set.

From my memory, most of the consistent Final 4 and championship teams are from a pool of maybe 10 - 12 teams. The others are more Cinderella teams. Very, very few schools are championship caliber in both football and basketball. Kentucky, Duke, NC, Syracuse, UConn, Louisville, UCLA, etc. are basically basketball schools. They have a few years where they are competitive in both, but other than FL (ugh) I can't remember a school that has won a recent NC in both football and men's basketball.

Atta baby

We can be better than we’ve been historically though. Just gotta make one good hire and you are set.

My goal is actually somewhere inbetween consistently competing for championships and making the tourney. It would be consistently making the sweet 16. Obviously you can go up from there, but I would still argue we've never had an administration committed to performing on a high level. We sort of lucked into Bruce (didn't require a ton of money, came from mid major) and Barnes for that matter. We got some upgrades in facilities and when Bruce got fired it seemed like our whole administration gave up on what he had built.

My goal is actually somewhere inbetween consistently competing for championships and making the tourney. It would be consistently making the sweet 16. Obviously you can go up from there, but I would still argue we've never had an administration committed to performing on a high level. We sort of lucked into Bruce (didn't require a ton of money, came from mid major) and Barnes for that matter. We got some upgrades in facilities and when Bruce got fired it seemed like our whole administration gave up on what he had built.

Even under Pearl we made 3 S16's in 6 years, so even in the best 6 year run in school history we still weren't making the Sweet 16 consistently. I just feel like your expectations are a little out of whack.

VN Store

Back