TN's best team since __________

Thunder Good-Oil

Yea, it's early and we've not played a good opponent so far, but I think the Vols have a real good shot at being the best team since 2009-10, Bruce's 5th... the Elite Eight team.

They're already better than CRB's first two. Donnie's team looked good early, but folded once they got to conference play (the gimmick defense worked until the level of the competition and coaching talent ramped up). This team is better than ButterBean's.

I think that they're better than Cuonzo's 1st two. Pearl's last had some talent, but they just couldn't get it together with the cloud hanging over the program.

So that leaves this team versus Cuonzo's final, Sweet 16 team. Key word is "team"... Barnes is worlds better than Cuonzo was in his 6th year as a head coach. CCM's teams just never looked well coached. Lot's of good individuals, but more often than not they just lacked teamwork. They were disjointed on the offensive end... stood around a lot and watched Stokes or McRae.

A lot can happen in 4+ months. If the roster stays intact then I expect a lot of success. The league is up, so the W-L record might not reflect the improvement. They play well as a unit. Good chemistry, good leadership (especially Williams), deep and good on the perimeter. Not the most talented interior (imagine if Jarnell Stokes or Chism were on this team), but Williams, Xander, Fulk, Walker, Schofield, and Pons/Kent aren't a bad group.

We deserve to have nice things every once in a whole.

Reactions: 2 people
Yea, it's early and we've not played a good opponent so far, but I think the Vols have a real good shot at being the best team since 2009-10, Bruce's 5th... the Elite Eight team.

They're already better than CRB's first two. Donnie's team looked good early, but folded once they got to conference play (the gimmick defense worked until the level of the competition and coaching talent ramped up). This team is better than ButterBean's.

I think that they're better than Cuonzo's 1st two. Pearl's last had some talent, but they just couldn't get it together with the cloud hanging over the program.

So that leaves this team versus Cuonzo's final, Sweet 16 team. Key word is "team"... Barnes is worlds better than Cuonzo was in his 6th year as a head coach. CCM's teams just never looked well coached. Lot's of good individuals, but more often than not they just lacked teamwork. They were disjointed on the offensive end... stood around a lot and watched Stokes or McRae.

A lot can happen in 4+ months. If the roster stays intact then I expect a lot of success. The league is up, so the W-L record might not reflect the improvement. They play well as a unit. Good chemistry, good leadership (especially Williams), deep and good on the perimeter. Not the most talented interior (imagine if Jarnell Stokes or Chism were on this team), but Williams, Xander, Fulk, Walker, Schofield, and Pons/Kent aren't a bad group.

If stokes were on this team for some more rebounding, we'd be pretty darn good

Jarnell took up a lot of space. We have Williams, but Jarnell was a bit taller and very solid. Williams is a leader and has that Dobbs-like IQ, though.

This group plays very well together. Not afraid to share the ball. Turner looks to have worked on his shot over the summer and Fulky looks to be moving much more fluidly than last year, not that we have much to go on from his limited play in 16-17.
Bone seems more confident and the addition of Daniels and Darrington are much needed depth on the perimeter. KA looks like he has been putting the weight room to good use as well. Ready to see how we act with the level of competition much higher next week.

Cue Bruin to give us a history lesson.

"This team reminds me of another young team in Vols history: the 1923-24 JV Squad led by Jumpin Jack McGregor and Bobby "The Kid" Kiddington."

Reactions: 4 people

That was a good team just didn't win a single many as we should have. Part of Cuonzos problem

Lets see how they do next week before making any comparisons. Yes, they looked good, but they played 2 Big South teams.

Best in awhile. Favorite thing about Barnes is if make dumb error you're coming out of the game. Teaching...novel concept at UT. Deeper this year with rotations. Barnes knows what he is doing. Also love his pressers.

I'm confident we'll be competitive and do better than preseason 13th...if we can stay healthy I actually believe top six...I know that's not outstanding ball but it's better than 13th...also believe the talent is there to make the dance...going out on a limb but this team looks much better than last years team...:twocents:

PS. yep, drinking the Kool-Aid...:)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person

Cuonzo's last team was better (Much more talented but I agree with you, not as well coached). The ceiling was just higher with that team than this one. I'd rather take a team with Elite 8 talent and NIT coaching than vice versa since talent wins in the end.

I'm confident we'll be competitive and do better than preseason 13th...if we can stay healthy I actually believe top six...I know that's not outstanding ball but it's better than 13th...also believe the talent is there to make the dance...going out on a limb but this team looks much better than last years team...:twocents:

PS. yep, drinking the Kool-Aid...:)

GO VOLS!

Pour me a big glass! :)

Cuonzo's last team was better (Much more talented but I agree with you, not as well coached). The ceiling was just higher with that team than this one. I'd rather take a team with Elite 8 talent and NIT coaching than vice versa since talent wins in the end.

Run down the road to Nashville and tell Rick Byrd and his Belmont team that. Then pop over to Vanderbilt and see what they think abut your statement. :whistling:

Indeed we do...and I think we have them now and a puppet master that knows which strings to pull. I can hardly wait to see how we play against Purdue. We will have some things exposed by their size and experience, but I think we'll be able to exploit their vulnerabilities as well. My biggest concerns are how will we shoot on rims we aren't familiar with (although so many of our threes don't involve the rim it may not be much of a concern) and can James Daniel stay in front of bigger stronger guards? Other than that I'll just say IF we don't win over Purdue they will surely know that have played against a tough, talented, disciplined, and well coached team. :good!:

I'm with ya Thunder, I think this team was put together well by the coaching staff, and have a lot of potential. Walker may not be Stokes, but will impress after some experience. Fulkerson's size at 6'9 now will definitely help hold down the middle. This is not the most talented Tennessee team, but skillfully put together.

Run down the road to Nashville and tell Rick Byrd and his Belmont team that. Then pop over to Vanderbilt and see what they think abut your statement. :whistling:

I'll ask them the last time they won 3 games in the NCAA tourney like Cuonzo's last team did his last year....

There's a reason why it's pretty much the same teams over and over in the Top 10. Calipari doesn't win because of X's and O's but because of Jimmys and Joes

I'll tell you what Vandy thinks.....cool story bro. This game meant way more to Belmont than it did Vandy.

Belmont has also never won an NCAAT game and play in a one bid league; hence why the last 2 years they haven't made the NCAAT because they lost the OVC Tournament.

So keep it in perspective.

Two things that will affect TN versus the better teams... can we protect the rim and can we stay out of foul trouble? Alexander showed flashes last year of swatting balls into the stands. He's been pretty quiet this year, but that's more likely because those two opponents had few opportunities in the paint.

Keeping the fouls by the posts down will be especially important. TN needs to keep opponents off of the FT line AND Walker and Kent aren't far enough along yet to help a lot in the paint. Against smaller teams, Admiral can add post depth. But the B4A field is most likely full of big boys in the paint. Fulk and Xander need to stay out of foul trouble as Williams is much more effective when he has some help inside.

Obviously, there are plenty of differences between this year's team and last year's team. We were in some big games, and had had some nice leads that we couldn't hold on to. I believe this year's team has the new players and experience to get them over the hump.

As has been said, we will know a lot more after Atlantis.

Cuonzo was an idiot: We had two NBA-quality slashers on the team and with 10 seconds to go in the Michigan NCAA game he wants to inbound the ball to our center. Beyond stupid.

VN Store

Back