Thoughts on Presbyterian Game 1

bleedingTNorange

1. Vols did exactly what you want, dominated early and got lots of guys minute. Nobody played more than 22 minutes, and all 16 Vols got some playing time.

2. 1st half was about as good of basketball on both ends that I've seen in a looooong time. Offensively Vols shot 57% to their 26%, and we had 12 assists with 0 turnover, Presbyterian had 13 turnovers. 46-14 at the half is probably better than you could've asked for, great to see. Yes the margin dipped some and Presbyterian scored some in the 2nd half, but Tennessee definitely called off the dogs early on in this one.

3. Schofield and Williams looked like the guys we expected to see, pure dominance from them, combined to go 12-20fg 36pts 12rbd in just 41 total minutes.

4. Jordan Bowden had a helluva first half, 16mins 15pts 6-6fg 3-3 on 3pt...however that's also what he finished with. In his defense he only played 6 second half minutes, hopefully in a more competitive game he will keep the aggressiveness up because he can be a serious weapon.

5. Honestly not a whole lot to say, the best thing about tonight is that it was exactly what you wanted. We got a lot of guys minutes that needed them, wish Pons could've played more but hopefully he's ready to go Tuesday.

6. Vols are 1-0, let's get that 2nd win Tuesday night and then strap up for Atlantis.

GBO

Reactions: 21 people
Darrington and Daniel both are pest on defense. Will help in guarding some of the elite guards in the sec.

Is the plan still in place to redshirt Kent? I am assuming he can play the first few games, and still redshirt.

I am torn about wondering if redshirting him is a good idea. He looks like he can do some things, because of his height, that we might need him for at times this year. I know we have more depth than we have had in a while, but it would be a shame to have him on a path to redshirting, and make him miss most of the season, only to need him near the end.

1. Vols did exactly what you want, dominated early and got lots of guys minute. Nobody played more than 22 minutes, and all 16 Vols got some playing time.

2. 1st half was about as good of basketball on both ends that I've seen in a looooong time. Offensively Vols shot 57% to their 26%, and we had 12 assists with 0 turnover, Presbyterian had 13 turnovers. 46-14 at the half is probably better than you could've asked for, great to see. Yes the margin dipped some and Presbyterian scored some in the 2nd half, but Tennessee definitely called off the dogs early on in this one.

3. Schofield and Williams looked like the guys we expected to see, pure dominance from them, combined to go 12-20fg 36pts 12rbd in just 41 total minutes.

4. Jordan Bowden had a helluva first half, 16mins 15pts 6-6fg 3-3 on 3pt...however that's also what he finished with. In his defense he only played 6 second half minutes, hopefully in a more competitive game he will keep the aggressiveness up because he can be a serious weapon.

5. Honestly not a whole lot to say, the best thing about tonight is that it was exactly what you wanted. We got a lot of guys minutes that needed them, wish Pons could've played more but hopefully he's ready to go Tuesday.

6. Vols are 1-0, let's get that 2nd win Tuesday night and then strap up for Atlantis.

GBO

Nice write up!! Thanks!! Looking forward to BB season. GBO

Reactions: 1 person
Is the plan still in place to redshirt Kent? I am assuming he can play the first few games, and still redshirt.

I am torn about wondering if redshirting him is a good idea. He looks like he can do some things, because of his height, that we might need him for at times this year. I know we have more depth than we have had in a while, but it would be a shame to have him on a path to redshirting, and make him miss most of the season, only to need him near the end.

I don't want to be too critical but if Kent is tall and skinny and thin and pale with something not quite a headband --- he needs to redshirt. He has little to no idea, and he needs a lot of weight, added strength and then he would still need to redshirt. I was thinking he was maybe a walk on. Redshirt him, don't look back. He will need to become way more aggressive imho.

i don't want to be too critical but if kent is tall and skinny and thin and pale with something not quite a headband --- he needs to redshirt. He has little to no idea, and he needs a lot of weight, added strength and then he would still need to redshirt. I was thinking he was maybe a walk on. Redshirt him, don't look back. He will need to become way more aggressive imho.

😂

I don't want to be too critical but if Kent is tall and skinny and thin and pale with something not quite a headband --- he needs to redshirt. He has little to no idea, and he needs a lot of weight, added strength and then he would still need to redshirt. I was thinking he was maybe a walk on. Redshirt him, don't look back. He will need to become way more aggressive imho.

I understand that he would not likely get a boatload of minutes once things get a bit more intense, but I would just hate to lose a game or two because we didn't have all hands on deck. I guess my opinion is in the minority. You never know how a freshman might progress over the course of a season.

This is not the 13th best team in the SEC like the media thinks we are.

We will finish in top half, probably 6th or 7th.

Reactions: 3 people
Calipari should be fired right now, they put on a terrible display and he cant coach in big games or recruit and his the cousins and brother in law football ref. for our football game should be run out of Lexington KY.... Oh wait , sorry wrong place . Tennessee has a good men's basketball team are very good and will go to the dance this year !!!
GO VOLS !

Reactions: 2 people

Fair, but everyone in the SEC looked really good today.

I think LSU is solidly 14th but beyond that I have absolutely no idea how the SEC will play out.

Love Barnes post game pressers. He calls it straight down the middle, and focuses on small details, like an individual play which created a turnover. Optimistic that we're going to be much better than the experts think. The summer European tour may prove invaluable in building team chemistry.

Reactions: 2 people

He ran the floor well. He posted up well. He rebounded well. He handles the ba well. Had a beautiful jump hook to score.

The problem is his weight. The SEC is notorious for bullish players. Kent already has better skills than most of those guys, but he'd never survive the season. With 40 pounds Barnes will find some ways to use him.

Anybody just glad it's Basketball season....finally??

It was a fun game to watch last night. Excited to see this team play this year.

Really happy to get, what I expect to be a really fun season, underway. Not a lot to take from this game, it was a mismatch from the day it was scheduled. We did whatever we wanted, got some minutes spread around widely and beat the blue hose senseless. We could have done more of the same in the second half had we wanted to. So, great kick off to the season. :)

One nit-pick though. My pet peeve: Free throw shooting must improve. We shot around 65 per cent. Not acceptable.

Last edited:

It's all a guess before the season starts. Doubt seriously if KY wins the SEC or the SECT this year. Saw some much better teams last night.

It's all a guess before the season starts. Doubt seriously if KY wins the SEC or the SECT this year. Saw some much better teams last night.

A&M was impressive. Wouldn't be surprised to see them win it

Really happy to get, what I expect to be a really fun season, underway. Not a lot to take from this game, it was a mismatch from the day it was scheduled. We did whatever we wanted, got some minutes spread around widely and beat the blue hose senseless. We could have done more of the same in the second half had we wanted to. So, great kick off to the season. :)

One nit-pick though. My pet peeve: Free throw shooting must improve. We shot around 60 per cent. Not acceptable.

Agree about FTs. Fulky was breathing hard when he missed his pair - hopefully when he's back to full bb shape he'll improve.

Williams will be at the line all season long and it's critical that he shoots a good %.

VN Store

Back