The Official Tennessee vs. Presbyterian Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network+

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Tennessee Volunteers: 0-0 (0-0 SEC)

Tennessee-Vols-Grant-Williams-2.jpg

vs.

Presbyterian Blue Hose: 0-0 (0-0 Big South)

MFXHWEPORPYOHLM.20170301031425.jpg

NOV. 10 » THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA » KNOXVILLE, TENN. » 7:01 ET

Line: --
O/U: --

TV: SEC Network+
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: --, XM: --
Online: WatchESPN

1_Game_Promo_Presbyterian.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Overall: UT leads, 2-0

In Knoxville: UT leads, 2-0

In Clinton: No meetings

Neutral Sites: No meetings

Current Streak: Tennessee has won two straight

Last Meeting: UT won, 90-50, in Knoxville, 12/6/16

Barnes vs. Presbyterian: 1-0 Barnes vs. Kerns: No meetings

Reactions: 2 people
Rick Barnes has led his teams to 15 consecutive wins in season-openers/home-openers.

UT’s average attendance in home-openers at TBA is 16,745. Attendance for last year’s home-opener vs. Chattanooga was 14,483 (Nov. 11, 2016).

This is Tennessee’s 31st season in Thompson-Boling Arena, where the Vols are 27-3 in lidlifters.

Stand as Rick Barnes’ 400th career home win as a college head coach.

Give the Vols a 28-3 record in home-openers at Thompson- Boling Arena.

Extend Tennessee’s home winning streak against non- conference opponents to seven games. That streak dates to last season’s win over Appalachian State on Nov. 15, 2016.

• Founded in 1880 and located in Clinton, South Carolina, Presbyterian College is a member of the Big South Conference.

• First-year head coach Dustin Kerns takes over the reins at PC following the retirement of longtime head coach Gregg Nibert. Nibert led the Blue Hose for 28 seasons, guiding the program through its transition from NAIA all the way up to the NCAA Division I ranks.

• A native of Kingsport, Tennessee, Kerns is a first-time head coach, arriving at his new post after spending the last four seasons as associate head coach at Wofford. His coaching résumé yields a brief stint on Rocky Top, as he spent the 2003-04 season at Tennessee as a graduate assistant under then-head coach Buzz Peterson.

• PC assistant coach Tommy Brown is a native of Chattanooga, Tennessee, and received his master's in Physical Education from UT.

• Presbyterian's roster is highlighted by senior guard Reggie Dillard (9.8 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 3.5 apg) along with sophomore guard and Big South All-Freshman performer Jo'Vontae Millner (10.8 ppg, 5.6 rpg, .483 FG%), who lead the team in scoring and rebounding last season.

• The Blue Hose added some key transfers during the offseason in junior guard Montenia Nelson and junior forward Francois Lewis. Nelson was fourth in the NJCAA Division I scoring last season (23.7 ppg). At 6-9, Lewis (10.9 ppg, 5.0 rpg) adds much-needed size to PC's squad.

• Tennessee and Presbyterian are meeting for the second consecutive season.

Rick Barnes has led his teams to 15 consecutive wins in season-openers/home-openers.

UT’s average attendance in home-openers at TBA is 16,745. Attendance for last year’s home-opener vs. Chattanooga was 14,483 (Nov. 11, 2016).

This is Tennessee’s 31st season in Thompson-Boling Arena, where the Vols are 27-3 in lidlifters.

TN lost to Chattanooga in the opener last year. The UTAD needs better fact checkers at utsports.com.

They were 5-25 (1-17) last year. A TN loss would be devastating... although it appears that the Blue Hose enhanced their roster a bit.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't forget... cheap admission:

Friday vs. PC - SECOND HARVEST FOOD DRIVE FREE ADMISSION when you donate two (2) non-perishable food items. One complimentary ticket for every two items donated.

And once again the SEC network Is bad for hoops. My son is excited about the season and upset we can't watch. Bs

Reactions: 4 people
But the mighty ETSU Bucs are playing Northern Kentucky at the same time. Why would we watch our beloved Vols when we can witness such perfection on the court?

It's on SECN+ dingus.

Yes just a tad harder to get a 8 year old to sit in from a tablet than it is a TV. And no i ain't spending money to get the equipment to connect it to the tube. Just pissed the SEC network screwed up a good thing

Yes just a tad harder to get a 8 year old to sit in from a tablet than it is a TV. And no i ain't spending money to get the equipment to connect it to the tube. Just pissed the SEC network screwed up a good thing

Depending on your TV, you may not have to spend anything. I can play things on my phone/tablet and broadcast them to my TV.

Also I don't know what TV service you have, but with DirecTV they now have an ESPN app built in, so I can watch all WatchESPN stuff on my TV.

Having said all that, I do agree it should at least be available on the SECN Alternate channel for the market. They rarely use that channel for some reason. And I know I remember the first year of the SECN they showed way more early season basketball because almost all our early games were on the SECN if they weren't on another broadcaster. It was the second year of the SECN that they moved most of it to the SECN+.

Depending on your TV, you may not have to spend anything. I can play things on my phone/tablet and broadcast them to my TV.

Also I don't know what TV service you have, but with DirecTV they now have an ESPN app built in, so I can watch all WatchESPN stuff on my TV.

Having said all that, I do agree it should at least be available on the SECN Alternate channel for the market. They rarely use that channel for some reason. And I know I remember the first year of the SECN they showed way more early season basketball because almost all our early games were on the SECN if they weren't on another broadcaster. It was the second year of the SECN that they moved most of it to the SECN+.

I ain't the sharpest technology tool in the shed. I have uverse

I believe that the networks are migrating these early games to streaming platforms in order to condition fans to utilize watching on-line. In the long run the content owners (ESPN, SECNW, Discovery, USA NW, etc) need to cut out the cable companies in order to be profitable. The networks get the bulk of their revenue from advertising and have to share it with the Comcasts, the Charters, the DirecTVs, etc. The subscriber fees that those companies pay to the networks are the secondary source of revenue. With cord cutting the subscriber numbers fall which decreases both forms of revenue. The networks are in the process of getting their viewers over the internet and AD revenues should increase once they figure out how to measure the numbers of those internet viewers.

I believe that the networks are migrating these early games to streaming platforms in order to condition fans to utilize watching on-line. In the long run the content owners (ESPN, SECNW, Discovery, USA NW, etc) need to cut out the cable companies in order to be profitable. The networks get the bulk of their revenue from advertising and have to share it with the Comcasts, the Charters, the DirecTVs, etc. The subscriber fees that those companies pay to the networks are the secondary source of revenue. With cord cutting the subscriber numbers fall which decreases both forms of revenue. The networks are in the process of getting their viewers over the internet and AD revenues should increase once they figure out how to measure the numbers of those internet viewers.

As in most things...just follow the money. At least we are inching closer to true al a carte TV. Pay for what you watch not what you are force fed via cable whether you watch it or not.

I ain't the sharpest technology tool in the shed. I have uverse

I don't have uverse, but I do have AT&T. If you got some kind of box from them for your Uverse, you should be able to get the ESPN app for it, then you can watch anything they stream, which is a lot.

I have DIRECTV and didn't know about this, how do I get it?

Roku Express is only $30, less than you would pay to go to one game. It will have the WatchESPN app so no need to connect a tablet.

Here is the link on Amazon, but if interested you should use Freak's link to Amazon so that he can use the proceeds to throw a Volnation party.

Amazon.com: Roku Express | 5X more powerful HD Streaming: Electronics

Last edited:
I have DIRECTV and didn't know about this, how do I get it?

Well I don't want to assume it's available to every DirecTV customer so you may want to check, but if you turn it to an ESPN channel, you should get a pop up notice saying to click on the delete (red button) on your remote and it will bring up Watch ESPN and you can choose whatever you want to watch. If you choose something on one of the channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SECN, etc.) then it will simply change it to that channel, but if it's one of the streaming only options (ESPN3, SECN+, etc.) it will then show it. I watched the preseason game against CN this way.

VN Store

Back