Unofficial TN v Clemson (exh) pre-game thread

I haven't found a whole lot abut this year's Clemson team other than their ranking by CBS, 125th, and ESPN, 56th, which doesn't give you much to go on as to how good or bad they might be. Contrasted to us, we're ranked 118th, CBS, and 49th, ESPN, just as wildly inconsistent as Clemson. One interesting thing I noticed is that in both rankings we are separated from Clemson by 7 spots, which, to me, suggests we may be a little bit better...or not. I did see them ranked 34th by someone but I can't remember who did that ranking so I discounted it.

Anybody else got intel of Clemson? Let's hear it. :)

Sounds like it might have more of a traditional look of a scrimmage than an exhibition game... at least relative to Carson-Newman. Maybe both coaches don't want it on TV (and available for scouting). Most likely there will be more emphasis on working on various aspects than getting a win. However, certainly neither team will want to be dominated by the other.

Sounds like it might have more of a traditional look of a scrimmage than an exhibition game... at least relative to Carson-Newman. Maybe both coaches don't want it on TV (and available for scouting). Most likely there will be more emphasis on working on various aspects than getting a win. However, certainly neither team will want to be dominated by the other.

I don't know about that. Both teams aren't thought of very well and may have something to prove. I think it could easily get pretty scrappy. At least I hope so....:rock:

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know about that. Both teams aren't thought of very well and may have something to prove. I think it could easily get pretty scrappy. At least I hope so....:rock:

Barnes used to coach there and did well. I wouldn't think there's a lot of animosity unless he pulled a Kiffin.

Main thing... DON'T NOBODY GET HURT!!!

I haven't found a whole lot abut this year's Clemson team other than their ranking by CBS, 125th, and ESPN, 56th, which doesn't give you much to go on as to how good or bad they might be. Contrasted to us, we're ranked 118th, CBS, and 49th, ESPN, just as wildly inconsistent as Clemson. One interesting thing I noticed is that in both rankings we are separated from Clemson by 7 spots, which, to me, suggests we may be a little bit better...or not. I did see them ranked 34th by someone but I can't remember who did that ranking so I discounted it.

Anybody else got intel of Clemson? Let's hear it. :)

KenPom: UT-43 Clemson-47
BPI: UT-58 Clemson-40
ESPN: UT-49 Clemson-56
SI: UT-76 Clemson-60
Matchup Zone: UT-43 Clemson-58

Average: UT-53.8 Clemson-52.2

Should be a great barometer for the Vols

It was on channel 2 here, fwiw. Real grainy footage thought, could barely see what was going on.

Last edited:
Will be watching the Titans game while following this thread. I hope Mariota is back 100%. He's electrifying when he's on.

Will be watching the Titans game while following this thread. I hope Mariota is back 100%. He's electrifying when he's on.

If it's not going to be on TV, there may not be a lot to discuss during the game. That audio link at utsports.com might offer up something. Maybe there will somehow be some pirated video feeds out there somewhere.

I don't keep up with college bball all that closely in the offseason, so I probably missed this, but is this a new thing where teams are playing higher quality exhibition games? Tennessee vs. Clemson is pretty good for a game that doesn't count, and I know Michigan St. played Georgia last week.

I don't keep up with college bball all that closely in the offseason, so I probably missed this, but is this a new thing where teams are playing higher quality exhibition games? Tennessee vs. Clemson is pretty good for a game that doesn't count, and I know Michigan St. played Georgia last week.

It’s for hurricane relief

Not common no, NCAA only allows 2 per-season exhibitions...typically we've scrimmaged Davidson behind closed doors and then a public exhibition against a D2 school, Carson Newman this year. The NCAA granted a waiver to allow teams a 3rd exhibition this year to benefit hurricane relief: free entry but donations encouraged, pay per view streaming etc.

Ah makes sense. I knew the MSU/UGA game the proceeds went to hurricane relief but I didn’t know it was an NCAA wide thing.

VN Store

Back