Thoughts on Carson Newman exhibition

bleedingTNorange

Went to the game and then chose to watch the online stream when I got home, my thoughts...

-Jordan Bone is the starting PG...barring an injury I think he starts every game at PG for us. He really looks like a different player to me and like he's starting to really be the player Barnes' wants out there leading his team.

-As for the PG play, 24 assists to just 10 turnovers, and 3 of those turnovers were when the walk-ons came in with a couple minutes remaining. Hopefully that kind of ball security continues throughout the season, guard play looks much improved.

-Admiral Schofield & Grant Williams are our 2 best players, again barring injury I think they'll start every game. Schofield improving his body to be able to play on the perimeter will allow both big minutes, which is what this squad needs.

-Need better production from the 5, Walker was disappointing given they hype, but Alexander was a positive. Those 2 are going to be our 5's for the most part, need 40mins 10pts 15rbds from that spot.

-As aggressive as we were defensively and full court pressure we only committed 9 total fouls, that is really good. As a result Carson Newman only shot 6 FT's, that's a winning formula.

- Thought Tennessee settled for too many 3's early on, but CN would only play zone an Barnes said they hadn't put in much zone offense yet so he was ok with it. They did much better in the 2nd half of getting the ball inside for higher % looks.

-Excited for Sunday, should be a good barometer on this team...I'm optimistic but Sunday will tell us a lot.

Reactions: 12 people
I think Bone and Daniel will split time 50/50, Daniel looked good too. Bone looks better on defense. Bone has improved a lot from last year, for sure.

Fulk looked rusty, hopefully some of those floaters he was fouled on will start going in for him. He might play a bit at the 5 too. Relentless in going after rebounds/loose balls though - I feel like he led to more rebounds than he was credited for by boxing out and tipping the ball to others.

Grant and Schofield both looked amazing. That Grant midrange game was ridiculous - still has great rebounding. Schofield was lights out from three with great defense and rebounding.

Bowden had a great game under the radar.

Pons looked a little out of it today but good on defense, had to wonder about the sprain vs. needing experience and time. If he wasn't an awesome athlete and good at defense I would think about redshirting him.

Turner shot pretty well.

Alexander played well, caught the ball better, and you can tell his midrange game has improved. Walker looked ok, definitely more advanced in his game than Kent.

Thanks for your thoughts, agree our guards look massively improved.

Reactions: 3 people
TN looks like they've upgraded significantly at every position. Now I want to see if they can avoid regressing versus bigger, faster, better shooting teams. I wish that Clemson was on the TV.

Reactions: 4 people
11/22 versus Purdue is setting up nicely. Challenging exhibition coming up, then 2 likely wins, 8 days off, and then the Boilers. We're overdue laying a whooping on those farm boys. What's our recent history? Seems like we've had 2 or 3 matchups while Purdue was pretty dad gum good.

I wanted to watch the highlights, but the link on the UT Sports site won't play here in Kuwait.
I don't think it's been posted to YouTube.

Went to the game and then chose to watch the online stream when I got home, my thoughts...

-Need better production from the 5, Walker was disappointing given they hype, but Alexander was a positive. Those 2 are going to be our 5's for the most part, need 40mins 10pts 15rbds from that spot.

-As aggressive as we were defensively and full court pressure we only committed 9 total fouls, that is really good. As a result Carson Newman only shot 6 FT's, that's a winning formula.

-Excited for Sunday, should be a good barometer on this team...I'm optimistic but Sunday will tell us a lot.

We got there a bit late, so my perception may be skewed for that reason, but...I thought Walker was the only inside guy who could be heavily guarded, and simply "take it to the hole." It didn't matter if he was fouled or not. He could hit the shot. That says a lot to me about how he adds an extra dimension to the team.

I also noticed the foul situation. I thought it was remarkable. It was only Carson Newman, but still a great job by the team.

I haven't looked back at the actual scores, but I think we have often struggled to have a comfortable win against them in the past. There is no reason to not be encouraged by last night's game.

Edit: Fulkerson looked taller in person. I was impressed by how quick he was for his size. I can't wait till he gets back into the swing of things.

Last edited:

-Jordan Bone is the starting PG...barring an injury I think he starts every game at PG for us. He really looks like a different player to me and like he's starting to really be the player Barnes' wants out there leading his team.

-As for the PG play, 24 assists to just 10 turnovers, and 3 of those turnovers were when the walk-ons came in with a couple minutes remaining. Hopefully that kind of ball security continues throughout the season, guard play looks much improved.

-Admiral Schofield & Grant Williams are our 2 best players, again barring injury I think they'll start every game. Schofield improving his body to be able to play on the perimeter will allow both big minutes, which is what this squad needs.

- Thought Tennessee settled for too many 3's early on, but CN would only play zone an Barnes said they hadn't put in much zone offense yet so he was ok with it. They did much better in the 2nd half of getting the ball inside for higher % looks.

HowÂ’d Jordy do?

I heard Barnes say that they had only worked on zone offense in practice a couple of days. That bothers me, because it is almost start of season and that is basic stuff that needs to be taught imo. Does he plan on waiting two days before he plays a team that might play some zone to practice?!

I heard Barnes say that they had only worked on zone offense in practice a couple of days. That bothers me, because it is almost start of season and that is basic stuff that needs to be taught imo. Does he plan on waiting two days before he plays a team that might play some zone to practice?!

I trust that he knows what he's doing. It's almost 3 weeks until the first challenging opponent in Purdue. I don't know what they play. TN always pushes the ball, so they'll try to not give the dedicated zone teams a chance to set up. Plus what can they do versus a zone in the half court? Move the ball quickly, look for cutters, and shoot 3s over the top of them? Attack in transition? What else? (Serious question). Screens and running plays aren't as effective. I'm no coach... what do you work on when preparing to go against zones? Know where the soft spots are I suppose. Get the ball into the paint and attack the rim... look for a cutter? Even man-to-man gets zone like when double teaming and collapsing in the paint. I wonder how many SEC opponents run dedicated zones? I wonder what Barnes is thinking... but he's been at it for decades. He probably knows what to do. Plus these are very smart players.

Reactions: 2 people
Agree with BTO's assessment except for Walker being a disappointment. He seemed very fluid going to the rim for his size. I think he's going to be a special player.

I was fine with Walker. His body makes a difference even when he doesn't seem to be doing much. he's been out with a concussion so his cardio needs help. But, I definitely saw an SEC level big man.

Alexander looked much smoother. Made a great turning jumper much like Grant. Caught it, didn't hesitate. Kept the ball high, scored.

Reactions: 1 person
We got there a bit late, so my perception may be skewed for that reason, but...I thought Walker was the only inside guy who could be heavily guarded, and simply "take it to the hole." It didn't matter if he was fouled or not. He could hit the shot. That says a lot to me about how he adds an extra dimension to the team.

I also noticed the foul situation. I thought it was remarkable. It was only Carson Newman, but still a great job by the team.

I haven't looked back at the actual scores, but I think we have often struggled to have a comfortable win against them in the past. There is no reason to not be encouraged by last night's game.

Edit: Fulkerson looked taller in person. I was impressed by how quick he was for his size. I can wait till he gets back into the swing of things.

Fulkerson's and Kent need to go to Golden Corral every day. I know Fulks been hurt, but was hoping to see some weight gain. He's definitely got a lot of rust to knock off.

They have a week before their first game, and my guess is those first couple games aren't against exclusively zone teams.

More thoughts:

I did not see any player that was a liability, against Carson Newman at least. I really didn't notice anything that Darrington or Daniel did. So, it was hard to judge on them.

You could see Pons's athleticism on defense. I just think he needs to understand his role on offense, but was a good passer.

On a team with less depth, I could see Kent playing more, but I understand the idea of redshirting him. He and Fulk could use another 20 pounds or more.

I just fail to understand why Tennessee has been rated so lowly. I have been watching college basketball for nearly 50 years, and to these eyes, the sky is the limit, as long as everyone on the team keeps developing and stays out of trouble. I would love for someone to tell me how I am wrong based on what we have seen so far. Actually, I wouldn't love that, but it would be interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: 4 people
Bowden has a Bowden game...started, played a lot of minutes, hit some 3's and played good defense. Continues to be that guy that flies under the radar.

Very hard working kid. I've kept my mouth shut cause I'm going to be viewed as biased about him but I have always felt he was going to make the most of his opportunity.

One part of his game that gets overlooked is how good he is in transition. Even in traffic.

Really excited for him. Gonna be a 4 year contributor and have a great career here I do believe.

Reactions: 2 people
Is Darrington going to be available to play some minutes against Clemson? Also when do you all think Jalen Johnson will be available? thanks

looked like a game between a Power 5 school and Carson Newman...Vols were bigger, faster, and overall played good...just too early for any real type of "thoughts" except it's gonna get a lot tougher, but I liked what I saw last night...glad to see a full bench...:twocents:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 3 people
Is Darrington going to be available to play some minutes against Clemson? Also when do you all think Jalen Johnson will be available? thanks

My guess is Darrington won't play Sunday, don't know that for sure but just a hunch. I could see Johnson possibly getting some minutes Sunday, however much like Kent I don't think he's going to be a factor this season barring injuries.

My guess is Darrington won't play Sunday, don't know that for sure but just a hunch. I could see Johnson possibly getting some minutes Sunday, however much like Kent I don't think he's going to be a factor this season barring injuries.

I agree on Johnson. But he has already redshirted so they need to try and get him going if they can. Maybe he helps later in the season as the nicks and bruises and tired legs kick in. Hard to say whether Kent redshirts or not. I guess he will if they don't need him.

Very hard working kid. I've kept my mouth shut cause I'm going to be viewed as biased about him but I have always felt he was going to make the most of his opportunity.

One part of his game that gets overlooked is how good he is in transition. Even in traffic.

Really excited for him. Gonna be a 4 year contributor and have a great career here I do believe.

He's not flashy and that's probably partially why he's often forgotten, but he plays the game how Rick Barnes' wants and rarely do you see Barnes upset with him.

This will change 100 more times, but after last night:

Bone 28/Daniel 12
Bowden 10/Turner 16/Darrington 10/Daniel 4
Schofield 20/Bowden 15/Pons 5
Williams 30/Schofield 10
Alexander 18/Walker 15/Fulky 7

Williams 30
Schofield 30
Bone 28
Bowden 25
Alexander 18
Daniel 16
Turner 16
Walker 15
Darrington 10
Fulky 7
Pons 5

I agree on Johnson. But he has already redshirted so they need to try and get him going if they can. Maybe he helps later in the season as the nicks and bruises and tired legs kick in. Hard to say whether Kent redshirts or not. I guess he will if they don't need him.

The issue with Johnson is who do you take minutes from? Johnson is a 2/3, we already have a shortage of minutes at that position without him, I just don't see him beating out any of those guys.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back