Sports Illustrated SEC Preview

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
SEC basketball projections: Kentucky, Michael Porter and more | SI.com

13th! :thud:

13. TENNESSEE (7–11)

James Daniel III topped Division I with 27.1 points per game at Howard in 2015-16. After playing in only two contests last season because of an ankle injury, he projects as Tennessee’s go-to scoring threat on the perimeter. That said, Daniel won’t be able to manufacture offense as easily against SEC defenders as he did against the ones he faced in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.

Really disappointed in this "preview". James Daniel, thats all they have to say?

Reactions: 1 person
I think much of this is because they expect the SEC to be much much improved.

Dan Hanner said he expects the SEC to be better than it has been in 10+ years

However I still don't get the huge disparity between this and KenPom.

Matchup Zone is another projection I follow and even though they're player-based like SI supposedly, they're pretty close to KenPom. 41 overall and 5th in the SEC

The Matchup Zone | Preseason Projections
The Matchup Zone | Tennessee Volunteers

One thing that stands out is SI doesn't even mention Fulky, and MZ has him valued pretty high. I'll admit, the little we saw of him last year, I was very impressed. I have no idea what to expect from him this season, but I'd have to think he will help out team...

The only other one I follow that has yet to come out is TeamRankings. But sometimes they don't come out until a day or two before the first tip.

Last edited:

Matchup Zone is another projection I follow and even though they're player-based like SI supposedly, they're pretty close to KenPom. 41 overall and 5th in the SEC

One thing that stands out is SI doesn't even mention Fulky, and MZ has him valued pretty high. I'll admit, the little we saw of him last year, I was very impressed. I have no idea what to expect from him this season, but I'd have to think he will help out team...

The only other one I follow that has yet to come out is TeamRankings. But sometimes they don't come out until a day or two before the first tip.

They don't have Darrington even in the rotation. Fail

They don't have Darrington even in the rotation. Fail

The limitation is Jr College. Just like Ken Pom also doesn't factor in juco transfers. It's the drawback to these models. They're only as good as the data you feed in. still is just as good if not better than human polls... even if there are a few teams they get terribly wrong. Hopefully it's us this year

I like this one :)

Do they forget that we have one of the best offensive rebounders in the conference if not the best? That kinda takes care of this argument.

Truly I don't get it. The Sec isn't good. Everyone was like the sec is back last year but overall it wasn't very good. You had USC and UK, but that was about it. Vandy will be pretty good, Alabama will be as well, Arkansas, Kentucky, and that's about it. We should be 5th or 6th depending if TAMU wants to be good. USC takes a big step back just cause they lost everyone.

Truly I don't get it. The Sec isn't good. Everyone was like the sec is back last year but overall it wasn't very good. You had USC and UK, but that was about it. Vandy will be pretty good, Alabama will be as well, Arkansas, Kentucky, and that's about it. We should be 5th or 6th depending if TAMU wants to be good. USC takes a big step back just cause they lost everyone.

I think you are letting a little bit of historical bias get in your way. Kentucky and USC was about it? Did you just forget about Florida? Come on man...the SEC wasn't bad last year. They got 5 teams in the tournament, a little more than 1/3 of the conference. 3 teams made the Sweet 16 (tied for most), and all 3 advanced to the Elite 8; easily tops among all conferences represented. Of the conferences with at least 5 bids (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, and SEC), the SEC had far and away the best winning percentage in the tournament.

Now this year, South Carolina, as you stated will take a step back. However, teams that missed last year like Texas A&M, Alabama, and perhaps even Tennessee could move in. The SEC should get 6 teams, at a minimum, in the tournament this year. The conference is improving. It wasnt bad last year, and it shoukd be even better this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
The ESPN SEC preview doesn't have a single mention of Tennessee. They name 8 teams that will go or has a chance to go to the NCAA tournament, and Tennessee isn't one

SEC preview Is not about just the Kentucky Wildcats

Reading these previews is mind-boggling. I was looking forward to hearing about an improved team that will be a tourney contender, I open them up, and 13th? Yes the SEC is going to be better, but we're not standing still. There's no doubt in my mind that we'll be better too.

Will be good to prove them wrong

The ESPN SEC preview doesn't have a single mention of Tennessee. They name 8 teams that will go or has a chance to go to the NCAA tournament, and Tennessee isn't one

SEC preview Is not about just the Kentucky Wildcats

Reading these previews is mind-boggling. I was looking forward to hearing about an improved team that will be a tourney contender, I open them up, and 13th? Yes the SEC is going to be better, but we're not standing still. There's no doubt in my mind that we'll be better too.

Will be good to prove them wrong

ESPN is all about hype and we literally have nothing to hype. With a roster/team like ours we are going to have to prove it before anyone is gonna hitch themselves to our wagon.

ESPN is all about hype and we literally have nothing to hype. With a roster/team like ours we are going to have to prove it before anyone is gonna hitch themselves to our wagon.

This. We have zero marketable players outside of maybe Pons, who may or may not contribute this year. We have a team of blue-collar players that won't generate buzz, but should generate wins and be competitive in losses. I am totally fine with flying under the radar at this point. A still, relatively young team (9 of 13 scholarship guys are FR & SO), they don't need the hype clouding their minds. Just keep sneaking up on people. Very reminiscent of Bruce Pearl's first Tennessee team (solely in terms of media expectation). That team started out 5-0, then went to Austin and blasted a very talented Texas team, and before anyone knew it, they were 9-1 headed into conference play. Not predicting that for this team necessarily, but like that team, no one expects much from these guys. Should be a fun year.

Preseason rankings and hype are all about the individual parts. We are about the sum of the parts. We hope anyway

Those national publications are great for the teams like Duke, UNC, and UK. If you want a more accurate depiction pay attention to KenPom's rankings. Usually more accurate. I don't think there is any way we finish 13th. Heck I saw one publication that had Mizzou finishing last. They aren't finishing last. Michael Porter Jr. is the real deal.

So one things about these player-based projections is they can really struggle to predict defensive impact. That's where a model like KenPom's is going to be better, and he has Tennessee as the #37 defense in the country. 6th in the SEC

I thought Fulky looked extremely good on D in his short time last year. And I expect the team to be improved overall as they gain experience

I'll try to find the time today to load this OE/DE values into the full schedule and get our projected record.

It’s like they have no clue who is on our team and what they did last year.

I think they do.....and they remember how our team folded down the stretch....we improved but time will tell if the big orange is even a NIT team

SEC per SI:
#8 Kentucky
#10 Florida
#21 Alabama
#29 Texas A&M
#33 Auburn
#39 Missouri
#48 Mississippi State
#49 Arkansas
#53 Ole Miss
#58 Georgia
#59 Vanderbilt
#61 South Carolina
#76 Tennessee
#91 LSU

SEC per KP:
#2 Kentucky
#8 Florida
#15 Texas A&M
#23 Alabama
#38 Vanderbilt
#43 Tennessee
#46 Auburn
#48 South Carolina
#52 Ole Miss
#56 Arkansas
#59 Mississippi State
#63 Georgia
#81 Missouri
#91 LSU

SEC per SI:
#8 Kentucky
#10 Florida
#21 Alabama
#29 Texas A&M
#33 Auburn
#39 Missouri
#48 Mississippi State
#49 Arkansas
#53 Ole Miss
#58 Georgia
#59 Vanderbilt
#61 South Carolina
#76 Tennessee
#91 LSU

SEC per KP:
#2 Kentucky
#8 Florida
#15 Texas A&M
#23 Alabama
#38 Vanderbilt
#43 Tennessee
#46 Auburn
#48 South Carolina
#52 Ole Miss
#56 Arkansas
#59 Mississippi State
#63 Georgia
#81 Missouri
#91 LSU
Wow. Kp’s is almost identically my prediction if I remember correctly.

Edit: little bit off, but not by much

Last edited:

VN Store

Back