Sports illustrated has high expectations for James daniel

nice...at least we're getting some favorable media coverage for a change...high expectations...no pressure, James...:thumbsup:...:)

GO VOLS!

I feel like he can be our leading scorer and average 15+ a game, but I don't want to make my expectations too high with him.

He's really going to need to shoot a better percentage from the field and from the 3 point line though. 36.6% fg and 33.5% from 3 won't cut it in the SEC. His shooting percentages were similar to Bowden and Turner's last year, I'd like to see them closer to Schofield and Williams. They both shot above 37.5% from 3.

Reactions: 1 person
13ppg would definitely be on the high end of expectations, at least for me...I think this team is going to be VERY balanced scoring, I could see:

Williams 12ppg
Schofield 11ppg
Daniel 11ppg
Darrington 8ppg
Turner 8ppg
Bowden 8ppg
Bone 7ppg
Walker 5ppg
Fulkerson 5ppg
Alexander 4ppg
Total: 79ppg

My guess is less for Turner and Bone and more for Fulk(if he stays healthy) and Walker. jmo

13ppg would definitely be on the high end of expectations, at least for me...I think this team is going to be VERY balanced scoring, I could see:

Williams 12ppg
Schofield 11ppg
Daniel 11ppg
Darrington 8ppg
Turner 8ppg
Bowden 8ppg
Bone 7ppg
Walker 5ppg
Fulkerson 5ppg
Alexander 4ppg

Mine is pretty much the same, but I have Williams getting around 16 per game.

Williams 12ppg
Schofield 11ppg
Daniel 11ppg
Darrington 8ppg
Turner 8ppg
Bowden 8ppg
Bone 7ppg
Walker 5ppg
Fulkerson 5ppg
Alexander 4ppg

I like it but I think Williams, Daniel and Schofield will all be around 13-14ppg.

And I think Bone will have closer to 3-4ppg and Alexander will have 2-3ppg.

I like it but I think Williams, Daniel and Schofield will all be around 13-14ppg.

And I think Bone will have closer to 3-4ppg and Alexander will have 2-3ppg.

Definitely possible...my thought with Bone is if he's or there towards the end of games as our PG he's going to get some easy points. Hard to play 15-20mpg and only score 3-4 points.

Definitely possible...my thought with Bone is if he's or there towards the end of games as our PG he's going to get some easy points. Hard to play 15-20mpg and only score 3-4 points.

I've never seen a player miss on wide open layups as much as Bone last year. If he's a little stronger and finishes better, I believe around 8 to 10 points could happen

This is true, maybe I give Jordan too much credit but I think he's much more offensively gifted than his brother...I don't recall Josh ever scoring 20+ points in a game, nevermind twice in his freshman season.

No you are correct, I was playing devil's advocate. Jordan will be a lot better than Josh. Although I will say that Josh played a fairly important role on a couple good teams after he transferred from SIU. Getting 10-12 minutes off the bench on those teams was a feat in itself. He was a great passer and above average ball handler.

This is true, maybe I give Jordan too much credit but I think he's much more offensively gifted than his brother...I don't recall Josh ever scoring 20+ points in a game, nevermind twice in his freshman season.

I could see him averaging 8-10 this year possibly more if he can learn to control his body.

There won't be many games this year where he isn't the fastest guy on the court. He had plenty of easy layups last year that he missed.

Sometimes I think he was surprised by how quick he got to the rim and it resulted in awkward angles and awkward body contortion. If that makes any sense.

He can't score from the bench, and he won't be on the floor if his defense compromises the unit. Don't mean this to sound negative, just honestly wanting to know more about his total game (before I pencil him in :shades:).

Has anyone heard a coach comment, good or bad, on his defense?

Reactions: 2 people
He can't score from the bench, and he won't be on the floor if his defense compromises the unit. Don't mean this to sound negative, just honestly wanting to know more about his total game (before I pencil him in :shades:).

In one of the interviews of him, he said he wants to be the best defensive player on the team. (I think I’m recalling this correctly.) I think defense has been his major focus throughout the offseason.

Assuming you're referring to Daniel...

Barnes said in a recent interview that's Daniel's father told Barnes on a recruiting visit that his son was a better defender than offensive player, but that at Howard he was relied on to score. Now how true that is I don't know but I found it interesting, also Barnes mentioned recently all 4 guys are defending well, but it's going to be who can keep up that level of defense the longest that will separate themselves.

I've never seen a player miss on wide open layups as much as Bone last year. If he's a little stronger and finishes better, I believe around 8 to 10 points could happen

AFTER THE INJURY> He finished well before IIRC

When you have a scorer like Daniel, you play him. We have enough depth in the front court that if he gets beat by his man there will be someone to meet them in the paint.

Assuming you're referring to Daniel...

Barnes said in a recent interview that's Daniel's father told Barnes on a recruiting visit that his son was a better defender than offensive player, but that at Howard he was relied on to score. Now how true that is I don't know but I found it interesting, also Barnes mentioned recently all 4 guys are defending well, but it's going to be who can keep up that level of defense the longest that will separate themselves.

This is a good point. I think this team will be much better on D. Scoring margin last season was only 1.5. I look for that to improve.
10 extra practices and 3 games together means they don't get that deer in headlights start either.
By some miracle win 2 in Atlantis and this team will be hard to beat in January.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back