Notes/Predictions for the 2017/2018 Basketball Season

2017/2018 Basketball Season Wins [Regular Season]

• Total voters

VEKZY

Newcomers:
Kent - Long way to go in terms of physicality, definitely see a redshirt for him.
Walker - My pick for the "Grant Williams" of this year. Significant playing time by the SEC season.
Pons - Adjusting to American Basketball physicality, still learning on offense. Could be an instant shutdown player on defense though.
Daniel III - In interview said he expects to play PG primarily. Still not 100% from injury but will provide instant offense/shooting.
Darrington - Go-to gritty player, I see him making some big plays when we need a comeback.

Returning players:
Williams - Looks faster and in much better shape than last year. He will hold down the 4 this year. Looks more 6'7" than 6'5".
Schofield - Most versatile player, will probably see time with several different combinations of players. Can play wing or post. This year will probably be our MVP.
Bowden - One of the best defenders on the team, also can handle the ball pretty well. Also has good atheticism and shooting.
Johnson - If he is 100%, I think he can be the piece of the puzzle that makes us a surprisingly good team this year. Huge potential with him. Wildcard of the group.
Bone - Still fastest player on the court, didn't see much of him thus far. Has an uphill battle for playing time.
Turner - One of the best shooters, hands down. Has apparently become more consistent as a shooter.
Fulkerson - Coming off the injury, I expect him to have a down year, I think between Alexander/Walker/Williams, playing time is limited for him.
Alexander - I expect him to surprise people this year, in the practice footage, showed much more physicality than I've seen from him thus far.

Prediction for this season: 20-10 (10-8 SEC) 2 SECT Wins - Round of 32 in Tournament

If Johnson has a breakout year and Alexander has improved his physicality, I could see us doing even better.

Share your season predictions below if you want. Or tell me how dumb and optimistic mine are. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Newcomers:
Kent - Long way to go in terms of physicality, definitely see a redshirt for him.
Walker - My pick for the "Grant Williams" of this year. Significant playing time by the SEC season.
Pons - Adjusting to American Basketball physicality, still learning on offense. Could be an instant shutdown player on defense though.
Daniel III - In interview said he expects to play PG primarily. Still not 100% from injury but will provide instant offense/shooting.
Darrington - Go-to gritty player, I see him making some big plays when we need a comeback.

Returning players:
Williams - Looks faster and in much better shape than last year. He will hold down the 4 this year. Looks more 6'7" than 6'5".
Schofield - Most versatile player, will probably see time with several different combinations of players. Can play wing or post. This year will probably be our MVP.
Bowden - One of the best defenders on the team, also can handle the ball pretty well. Also has good atheticism and shooting.
Johnson - If he is 100%, I think he can be the piece of the puzzle that makes us a surprisingly good team this year. Huge potential with him. Wildcard of the group.
Bone - Still fastest player on the court, didn't see much of him thus far. Has an uphill battle for playing time.
Turner - One of the best shooters, hands down. Has apparently become more consistent as a shooter.
Fulkerson - Coming off the injury, I expect him to have a down year, I think between Alexander/Walker/Williams, playing time is limited for him.
Alexander - I expect him to surprise people this year, in the practice footage, showed much more physicality than I've seen from him thus far.

Prediction for this season: 20-10 (10-6 SEC) 2 SECT Wins - Round of 32 in Tournament

If Johnson has a breakout year and Alexander has improved his physicality, I could see us doing even better.

Share your season predictions below if you want. Or tell me how dumb and optimistic mine are. :)

I just wanna make the tourney

Reactions: 1 person
I like the idea of Pons being our lockdown defender. At 6'6 220 he could potentially match up with 3 or even 4 different positions.

Sounds like Admiral is going to be the real deal this season. Let's hope he stays out of Rick's doghouse.

I'm surprised that Daniel expects to play PG. I anticipated Darrington at PG with Daniel at SG. Maybe it's just semantics though when they're the guards. I think Darrington is slightly taller, so defensively maybe Daniel is the PG and it'd be more of a dual PG attack on offense. I think of Darrington as pass first and Daniel as a scorer.

I'm surprised that Daniel expects to play PG. I anticipated Darrington at PG with Daniel at SG. Maybe it's just semantics though when they're the guards. I think Darrington is slightly taller, so defensively maybe Daniel is the PG and it'd be more of a dual PG attack on offense. I think of Darrington as pass first and Daniel as a scorer.

Same here

I'm thinking almost 20. UT has some good players, way better than the last few years. Gonna have to see if the team works well together and whether the guard play is as good as we think it could be.

I’d say 20 wins, and I think we shock some people
And make the elite 8.

Elite 8... Blue font or nah? Do you understand where a 20 win team from the SEC would get seeded in the tournament...

I think 16-20 wins, but if we get 20+ wins it'll be because we won a game or two in the conference tourney. Our SEC schedule just starts out very tough, I hope Rick can get the young boys to stay composed and take it one game at a time.

2018 and 2019 look bright IMO. Rick got us playing the long game.

That's exactly why I took that note. I figured Darrington would get majority of the PG minutes with Daniel and Bowden splitting the SG minutes.

Daniel might just be calling himself a PG in hopes of signing a professional contract and he's kind of undersized as a shooting guard. Remember, he led the NCAA in scoring two years ago... there's little doubt that he expects to play pro ball.

I’d say 20 wins, and I think we shock some people
And make the elite 8.

With 20 wins we'd likely be a bubble team that would be a 7-12ish seed. Not saying that it would be impossible to make the Elite 8, but not very likely.

18 wins and their strength of schedule is enough to get them in. They will get a few eye opening wins this year.

Daniel might just be calling himself a PG in hopes of signing a professional contract and he's kind of undersized as a shooting guard. Remember, he led the NCAA in scoring two years ago... there's little doubt that he expects to play pro ball.

They asked him what role he will probably play and he responded, "I'll most likely be playing PG, but I'm here to do whatever coach needs." I think we might run a type of offense where we have two combo guards at all times allowing us to move up the court very fast.

I voted 18-19, but wouldn’t be surprised to see 20 or more

Elite 8... Blue font or nah? Do you understand where a 20 win team from the SEC would get seeded in the tournament...

I think 16-20 wins, but if we get 20+ wins it'll be because we won a game or two in the conference tourney. Our SEC schedule just starts out very tough, I hope Rick can get the young boys to stay composed and take it one game at a time.

2018 and 2019 look bright IMO. Rick got us playing the long game.
Yup,I do. I’m very high on this team. maybe setting my self up for disappointment, but I think they have the chance to do something special. Reminds me of Wichita state a few years ago (I may be thinking of the wrong team, but there was a team that came in wth a lot of question marks and went pretty deep in the tourney)

I said 18-19 because I gotta shade a bit negative since I haven't seen much from like half of the players we're depending on.

VN Store

Back