Basketball Practice 10/5/2017 (Videos)

VEKZY

I know I can't wait for basketball season, and I figured some others might feel the same. Here is a few links to videos from today's practices.

Part 1

Part 2

I haven't had a chance to watch through both videos yet, might post some notes once I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I’m getting excited about this team. Can’t wait for the season to start.

saw them, and thanks for showing them again...hope we do make some big noise this season...should be fun...and,

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I can't wait for basketball season, and I figured some others might feel the same. Here is a few links to videos from today's practices.

Part 1

Part 2

I haven't had a chance to watch through both videos yet, might post some notes once I do.

I love it. Thanks VEKZY. Doesn't anybody else think it's cool that our coach can palm the ball?

Thanks for posting OP. My 3 takeaways:

1. Pons head fake and sweeeet pull up J 3 minutes in on the first video.
2. I think Zach Kent sleeps in triple threat position
3. the only big guy I saw come close to keeping Walker away from the basket was Fulky. They had a pretty cool exchange about midway through on the 2nd vid. It looked like DW was giving Fulk props on a good block out.

Good stuff, and ready to have some round ball to watch!GBO

Thanks for posting OP. My 3 takeaways:

1. Pons head fake and sweeeet pull up J 3 minutes in on the first video.
2. I think Zach Kent sleeps in triple threat position
3. the only big guy I saw come close to keeping Walker away from the basket was Fulky. They had a pretty cool exchange about midway through on the 2nd vid. It looked like DW was giving Fulk props on a good block out.

Good stuff, and ready to have some round ball to watch!GBO

Walker was taking Kent to school. Kent couldn't stop him.

Walker was taking Kent to school. Kent couldn't stop him.

No doubt! Barnes was letting him hear it too. :)
At least it looked like the effort was there. Just got to learn where to be and when to be there.

Thanks. Looks as if they may be making progress. I think we will have a good season this year.

Who took that corner three at 0:25?

I like that quick release off the catch and shoot. No hesitation.

I think it's Grant and I hope I am right.

Last edited:
Also I can't help but notice that in both of those "press and pass" drills that they have Kent playing out on the perimeter, in the first one he even launches the corner jumper. Good looking shot, too. I wonder what the chances of him ending up as more of a flex 3-4-5 are. It'd be cool to have a guy like that who can line up at 5 and run the floor in a small ball lineup and also play shorter spurts at the 3 to create mismatches against smaller lineups.

I am still doubtful he plays much this year, he's 6'10" but he needs to gain some weight.

Also I can't help but notice that in both of those "press and pass" drills that they have Kent playing out on the perimeter, in the first one he even launches the corner jumper. Good looking shot, too. I wonder what the chances of him ending up as more of a flex 3-4-5 are. It'd be cool to have a guy like that who can line up at 5 and run the floor in a small ball lineup and also play shorter spurts at the 3 to create mismatches against smaller lineups.

I am still doubtful he plays much this year, he's 6'10" but he needs to gain some weight.
He weighs more than Alexander. Just sayin.

Reactions: 2 people
He weighs more than Alexander. Just sayin.

Which is a prime reason why he could benefit from a redshirt.

Alexander is the poster child of a guy being forced into action before he was ready to play.

That said, Alexander has a different build IMO, I think with his frame Kent could easily add 25lbs of lean muscle. KA is a full inch taller and has a 7'2" wingspan, but he's been here for 2 full years and still hasn't bulked up. If they could get his weight up it would have happened by now. Similar rail thin build to Hasheem Thabeet when he was at UConn. And a fraction of the talent.

He's going to redshirt, with that said he's definitely a guy who can play the 4 or 5 during his career. The staff compare him to a Luke Kornet at Vandy, which if he ever became that would be a shock, but still lol.

Does anybody besides me think that its weird that we don't have any recent updates or practice videos? I want to see more interviews with players about how they are progressing.

I know that Barnes likes to keep it close to the vest, but for us that don't live in Knoxville, we need more excitement since football has drained the life's blood out of this season. I'm not talking about going overboard like KY either, but give me some hope Rick!

Does anybody besides me think that its weird that we don't have any recent updates or practice videos? I want to see more interviews with players about how they are progressing.

I know that Barnes likes to keep it close to the vest, but for us that don't live in Knoxville, we need more excitement since football has drained the life's blood out of this season. I'm not talking about going overboard like KY either, but give me some hope Rick!

Almost zero promotion/marketing for hoops in the barnes era. I don’t think he realizes how good of a job this can be.

I wish Rick was more progressive in this respect.

Remember All Access Kentucky? I literally saw a camera follow Ryan Harrow around while he was deciding to leave school and go home. I watched Devin Booker meet 1-on-1 with Cal about how the plan was for Devin to be the best 6th man in the country on the best team in the country.

Our program is the opposite.

I wish Rick was more progressive in this respect.

Remember All Access Kentucky? I literally saw a camera follow Ryan Harrow around while he was deciding to leave school and go home. I watched Devin Booker meet 1-on-1 with Cal about how the plan was for Devin to be the best 6th man in the country on the best team in the country.

Our program is the opposite.

If ESPN called Rick up and asked to do an All-access Tennessee, I'm sure he'd jump at the opportunity. There just isn't quite the demand for that like there is for Kentucky. That isn't CRB's fault. Could he do more to promote the program? Sure he could. He could buy pizzas for the students and jump on tables in the cafeterias. He could paint his chest orange and sit in the student section at a Lady Vols game with a headband on. That is some people's personality, and with some people it would just feel forced. Barnes strikes me as the latter. So long as he wins games, he can sit on his couch all day long chewing Red Man in his underwear.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back