Coach Barnes discusses Yves Pons

tmack50

Keep up the good fight
http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Rick-Barnes-on-what-he-saw-from-Yves-Pons-in-Europe-106392346

It got me to thinking about what somebody said on here about who they thought Pons looked like so I looked up former Bama player Gerald Wallace and found these stats for his one college season. I think that Pons could do the same after he focuses on being a hustle player like Duke Crews until his offense comes around, especially since Gerald Wallace didn't have many plays run for him on a team "heavy" with guards. He just got lots of garbage points from being the most athletic player on the court.

Fixed! My bad! LOL!

Attachments

• gerald wallace.jpg
    gerald wallace.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
http://tennessee.247sports.com/Arti...r-17-Most-important-players-No-2-Jo-106398819

It got me to thinking about what somebody said on here about who they thought Pons looked like so I looked up former Bama player Gerald Wallace and found these stats for his one college season. I think that Pons could do the same after he focuses on being a hustle player like Duke Crews until his offense comes around, especially since Gerald Wallace didn't have many plays run for him on a team "heavy" with guards. He just got lots of garbage points from being the most athletic player on the court.

I like how you posted about basketball and pulled us back into football with an article attachment about John Kelly...just the way it should be this time of year! ha.

I do think Pons will be a difference maker for us this year.

I think fans are going to expect too much and probably start asking if he's a busy near seasons end...maybe I'm wrong but I see him averaging around 10-12mpg 3-4ppg and 3-4rpg. I'm sure we will see some games where he gives us reason to be excited but I don't expect much from him this year other than energy, defense and rebounding.

I like how you posted about basketball and pulled us back into football with an article attachment about John Kelly...just the way it should be this time of year! ha.

I do think Pons will be a difference maker for us this year.

Now you see why I lurk and not post. I guess I should get back to work focus on these audit reviews.

Based on the video I've seen, Pons seems to be a different style of player than Crews. More of a slasher/explosive type of player. Crews was more of a rebound/trash style player.

I get the feeling that Pons is a mashup of Dyron Nix and Stanley Asumnu. I'm not expecting a ton of production from him in 2017-18.

Judging by your Kwe Parker prediction we should all probably chalk Pons up and a bench player this year :)

Just like your Willie Carmichael predictions. I guess we should chalk up anyone you says will start to be trash then transfer. :salute:

I have definitely been right WAY more than I have been wrong on here. I can't say the same for others.

Just like your Willie Carmichael predictions. I guess we should chalk up anyone you says will start to be trash then transfer. :salute:

I have definitely been right WAY more than I have been wrong on here. I can't say the same for others.

Lighten up, it was meant as a joke, nobody bats 1.000 champ.

Reactions: 2 people
I think fans are going to expect too much and probably start asking if he's a busy near seasons end...maybe I'm wrong but I see him averaging around 10-12mpg 3-4ppg and 3-4rpg. I'm sure we will see some games where he gives us reason to be excited but I don't expect much from him this year other than energy, defense and rebounding.

Extremely disappointed if he averages those numbers. I'm expecting 17-20 minutes with 12ppg

Extremely disappointed if he averages those numbers. I'm expecting 17-20 minutes with 12ppg

Prepare the disappointment wagon then. 12 ppg in 17-20 minutes would probably put him near the top of the conference in points/minutes played, as a raw and undeveloped, albeit athletic, freshman.

Prepare the disappointment wagon then. 12 ppg in 17-20 minutes would probably put him near the top of the conference in points/minutes played, as a raw and undeveloped, albeit athletic, freshman.

This guy is supposed to be the real deal. Maybe you're selling him short

With plenty of experience now on the roster I don't anticipate lots of minutes by the true freshmen early. Maybe Pons and Walker play 10-15 minutes on occasion after December, but I believe that Barnes prefers to have his players prepared before games and expects them to know what they need to be doing and then follow the laid out plan and execute it accordingly. There's a big drop off with what the true freshman can handle relative to those he's been coaching for over a year. I think that Barnes expects his guys on the floor to have high basketball IQs. His game plan right now isn't get the ball to Durant and hit the boards or follow TJ Ford's lead.

Don't think so. I think at least 12 points is realistic.

Look, If Barnes is getting the Vols to the tournament next year, Pons better produce. Somebody needs to besides Grant

I'm not sure anyone averages 12ppg, never mind the guy who's never played a single game by US rules and struggles to understand English.

This guy is supposed to be the real deal. Maybe you're selling him short

No, the guy is supposed to be an athletic freak who also plays some basketball. He needs work in all skill areas, but will be mostly effective in the energy and hustle categories at first: defense, rebounding, blocks, steals, outback.

You're letting his ranking, based mostly on potential at this point, generate undue hype and pressure. See Robert Hubbs for example. This kid is of a similar skill level to Hubbs as a FR, but more killer instinct.

I'm not sure anyone averages 12ppg, never mind the guy who's never played a single game by US rules and struggles to understand English.

Basketball is basketball. I'm not sure how language issues would slow him down. Maybe a little at first.

You think he is going to step on the floor the first game and wonder what the Hell he's doing ?

No, the guy is supposed to be an athletic freak who also plays some basketball. He needs work in all skill areas, but will be mostly effective in the energy and hustle categories at first: defense, rebounding, blocks, steals, outback.

You're letting his ranking, based mostly on potential at this point, generate undue hype and pressure. See Robert Hubbs for example. This kid is of a similar skill level to Hubbs as a FR, but more killer instinct.

I'm not saying hes going to be player of the year. 12 points should be attainable based on your last sentences,

VN Store

Back