So per the polls starting lineup is...

PG: Chris Darrington
SG: Jordan Bowden
SF: Admiral Schofield
F: Grant Williams
C: Kyle Alexander

That leaves on the bench...
Bone, Turner, Daniel, Johnson, Pons, Fulkerson, Walker and Kent

So who do you view as the sixth man, the guy who logs the most minutes as a non-starter?

Reactions: 1 person
I voted Fulky in my starting lineup and I didn't vote Admiral.

Since Fulk wasn't voted as a starter and Admiral was I picked Fulk. I really think Admiral is gonna be the 6th man though assuming he stays out of the doghouse.

Reactions: 1 person
I voted bone even though I think he should start, mainly because I think he's good at running the offense And would compliment the bowden, schofield , Williams, Alexander lineup better than Darrington. Plus Darrington fits the mold of a traditional 6th, a combo guard that can score in bunches like Mostella or Jamal Crawford.

Voted Johnson. A long,athletic defender with a nice offensive game is really made for the 6th man position.

I'll say Turner , but that depends on whether my pick of Daniel at SG comes true. Daniel putting up 15-16 numbers will keep some good players on the bench. Fingers crossed.

I do not think there is a 6th man. I think the 6th man is situational. Depends on who has the most fouls early, who is not playing well and who needs a break.

I do not think there is a 6th man. I think the 6th man is situational. Depends on who has the most fouls early, who is not playing well and who needs a break.

I think there's 1 or 2 guys who find themselves in every game and playing 20-25 mpg on average throughout the season, every team has those guys.

If the OP defined the 6th man as just the 1st guy off if the bench then you're right. It probably changes every week. But he qualified it with most minutes, so I went with Daniel. IMO when he's healthy and in shape he'll get the most minutes at the 2.

Trying to figure out, though, getting 20-25 mpg for the 6th guy and how that works with the 5 starters for the "first" game.

Last edited:
If the OP defined the 6th man as just the 1st guy off if the bench then you're right. It probably changes every week. But he qualified it with most minutes, so I went with Daniel. IMO when he's healthy and in shape he'll get the most minutes at the 2.

Trying to figure out, though, getting 20-25 mpg for the 6th guy and how that works with the 5 starters for the "first" game.

I don't see any of the guards averaging more than 25mpg, therefore you've got 4-5 guys who can split decent minutes among them.

I don't see any of the guards averaging more than 25mpg, therefore you've got 4-5 guys who can split decent minutes among them.

And hopefully that means Barnes can play some Paul Westhead style ball. I don't know if I'd want to see that frantic if a pace EVERY year, but it sure would be fun and interesting to try it right now. We don't have anybody close Hank Gathers though.

Last edited:
And hopefully that means Barnes can play some Pat Westhead style ball. I don't know if I'd want to see that frantic if a pace EVERY year, but it sure would be fun and interesting to try it right now. We don't have anybody close Hank Gathers though.

If Fulk isn't ready to go game 1 I would think that opens the door for some minutes at the 4 for Schofield and possibly at the 5 for Williams.

There is 200 minutes to go around...I could see 2 guys averaging ~28mpg, 4 guys at ~22mpg, 3 guys at about ~16mpg with a 10th & 11th guys getting what's left over. I think there's a possibility nobody averages over 30mpg this year (barring significant injury), not sure the last time that happened.

And hopefully that means Barnes can play some Paul Westhead style ball. I don't know if I'd want to see that frantic if a pace EVERY year, but it sure would be fun and interesting to try it right now. We don't have anybody close Hank Gathers though.

If Fulk isn't ready to go game 1 I would think that opens the door for some minutes at the 4 for Schofield and possibly at the 5 for Williams.

There is 200 minutes to go around...I could see 2 guys averaging ~28mpg, 4 guys at ~22mpg, 3 guys at about ~16mpg with a 10th & 11th guys getting what's left over. I think there's a possibility nobody averages over 30mpg this year (barring significant injury), not sure the last time that happened.

I don't think that Williams really wants to play the 5 and Schofield would rather not play the 4. But Williams seems like he won't make an issue out of playing anywhere that he's needed and I think that Barnes got AS's attention with the suspension last year so he won't be resistant either. I'm thinking that Walker gets minutes at the 5 although he'd be best personally playing as a 4. Walker said that he wants to play anywhere that the team needs him. I kind of hope that Zach Kent doesn't sit out the season so that Walker and Williams stick to the 4 and AS stays on the perimeter.

It seems like we have a very humble, respectful. and team first roster. I've not heard anything from Daniel... but I think I remember him saying good things about coming to TN (in an article, not a video interview). Turner might be the cockiest guy on the roster but he looks like he's kind of all business now.

I'm making a huge assumption, but I wonder if Phillips was addition by subtraction. IMO, he just didn't seem very happy in his role. I remember Kwe had a disrespectful attitude at times too.

Nobody talks about Yves Pons but they absolutely should. They guy is a beast!

I don't think that Williams really wants to play the 5 and Schofield would rather not play the 4. But Williams seems like he won't make an issue out of playing anywhere that he's needed and I think that Barnes got AS's attention with the suspension last year so he won't be resistant either. I'm thinking that Walker gets minutes at the 5 although he'd be best personally playing as a 4. Walker said that he wants to play anywhere that the team needs him. I kind of hope that Zach Kent doesn't sit out the season so that Walker and Williams stick to the 4 and AS stays on the perimeter.

It seems like we have a very humble, respectful. and team first roster. I've not heard anything from Daniel... but I think I remember him saying good things about coming to TN (in an article, not a video interview). Turner might be the cockiest guy on the roster but he looks like he's kind of all business now.

I'm making a huge assumption, but I wonder if Phillips was addition by subtraction. IMO, he just didn't seem very happy in his role. I remember Kwe had a disrespectful attitude at times too.

The 4 5 positions have been pretty much interchangeable under Barnes by his own admission.
Bringing in a guy like Kent could be an attempt at adding some versatility but even he has been described as a tall PF 4.
Guess I should have put this in the center poll, but Williams not wanting to play center seems like a non issue in this system.

The 4 5 positions have been pretty much interchangeable under Barnes by his own admission.
Bringing in a guy like Kent could be an attempt at adding some versatility but even he has been described as a tall PF 4.
Guess I should have put this in the center poll, but Williams not wanting to play center seems like a non issue in this system.

4s and 5s have evolved. I agree that they aren't easily defined as power forwards and centers anymore. I tend to think of the 5/center as the guy that exclusively plays down low. A low post. KA kind of fits in that box. The 4 seems interchangeable with the high post terminology-wise. Lew Evans kind of fit in that box last year as did Fulkerson. Fulkerson was better at cutting to the basket while Evans was better at hanging out up top. But then if a high post moves off of the top and over to one side, are they now "wings" (3s)? So, yes... when Williams was in the game it's really too simple to say he's a 4 or a 5. I just think that Williams really wants to step away from a traditional "low post" spot and out of the paint when possible on the offensive end. I think that Schofield wants to play facing the basket on a wing. Zach Kent has the length to fill in down low, but he can certainly move outside the paint on offense and draw his defender to the perimeter. Other than maybe Alexander or Kent (or Walker?), we do not have a traditional 5 and they'd all probably be defined more like "power forwards" a few years back.

Maybe the 3s, 4s, and 5s are easier to pigeon hole on the defensive end. I tend to think of position definitions more on the offensive end since it's the team's choice where they'll set up. Unless it's a strict zone, the defenders could end up chasing their assignments pretty much all over the floor.

I keep thinking about CRB's comment about having 5x 6'7", interchangeable guys that could switch on every screen. Even if he wasn't totally serious it seems as if it's kind of evolving into a mini-version of that concept. What he does have is a lot of flexibility on how he wants to line up in half court offensive sets. 2 of the bigger guys under the basket, or 1 high and 1 under the hoop, a PG with two big guards on the wings, or a pair of guards that can work in tandem. It's going to be fun to watch. Especially when there are now several guys that can knock down 3-pointers which will force defenses to extend and therefore give our 3s, 4s, and 5s more space to operate in the paint more freely.

VN Store

Back