Vol's Picked 13th in a SEC Basketball Power Ranking

Serious question, everyone was on Cuonzo's a$$ for missing the tournament in his first 2 seasons, why isn't Barnes catching the same heat? Barnes recruiting also leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions: 4 people
Serious question, everyone was on Cuonzo's a$$ for missing the tournament in his first 2 seasons, why isn't Barnes catching the same heat? Barnes recruiting also leaves a lot to be desired.

It took having 3 future NBA players on his team THAT BARELY SNUCK IN THE TOURNAMENT. That's probably all we need to know. Personally loved Cuonzo but he has a long way to go as a coach. He was loaded last year and same results...maybe CRB can get these kids ready so we can dance...granted there's no slam dunk future NBAers on this team but obviously CRB doesn't need to prove anything to anybody when it comes to basketball...

Reactions: 7 people

"Everyone" wasn't on Cuonzo's a$$ for missing the tournament. There were noisy idiots making petitions wanting to bring back a chronic liar. There are still noisy idiots that think that TN will be able to upgrade over Barnes. The next coach won't be as good. Actually, there's a pretty good chance that the next coach is already on the staff.

Barnes runs a fun style of ball. It will get even more fun as this roster matures. I doubt that the loudest Barnes critics have even been attending games.

Reactions: 2 people
"Everyone" wasn't on Cuonzo's a$$ for missing the tournament. There were noisy idiots making petitions wanting to bring back a chronic liar. There are still noisy idiots that think that TN will be able to upgrade over Barnes. The next coach won't be as good. Actually, there's a pretty good chance that the next coach is already on the staff.

Barnes runs a fun style of ball. It will get even more fun as this roster matures. I doubt that the loudest Barnes critics have even been attending games.

Hopefully UT BBALL fans see this "fun" style this upcoming season.

Dang. Are you so simple minded that you think everything was equal with the tenures of those two coaches?

Nick Saban lost to LA Tech in his first season. Does that ... ahhh nevermind. :no:

CBS Sportswriter Matt Norlander:

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Texas A&M
4. Arkansas
5. Alabama
6. Vanderbilt
7. Missouri
8. Georgia
9. Auburn
10. South Carolina
11. Mississippi State
12. Ole Miss
13. Tennessee
14. LSU

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Bolt...essee-basketball-near-bottom-of-SEC-103820894

I'm actually a bit excited about this season. I believe we end it finishing about 4th-6th in the SEC. This team has potential to finish strong once the rotations, roles, and comfort level gets dialed in for the younger guys.

Barnes should have this team sneaking into the NCAA tourney IMO. To me, it's like he's building things OK. It's just like we lost a year in the rebuild somehow.

1. Not everyone was on Cuonzo for missing the tournament in years 1 and 2.

2. He was following arguably the most successful period in Tennessee basketball. He rode that wave of success into 3 modestly above average regular season finishes. Zo came into much more talent and a significantly less toxic (though not ideal) atmosphere surrounding our basketball program. However, Barnes' 3 predecessors included 2 coaches dealt show cause penalties and a coach who insinuated our fanbase was a collection of racist rednecks.

CBS Sportswriter Matt Norlander:

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Texas A&M
4. Arkansas
5. Alabama
6. Vanderbilt
7. Missouri
8. Georgia
9. Auburn
10. South Carolina
11. Mississippi State
12. Ole Miss
13. Tennessee
14. LSU

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Bolt...essee-basketball-near-bottom-of-SEC-103820894

I don't think UT will finish 13th but it's not an unreasonable ranking due to recruiting. I might dispute some of the teams ranked ahead of UT (Auburn, MS teams, maybe UGA) since I was expecting something in the 8-10 range in the SEC; however, I think there's 6-7 teams in this tier that are all pretty close.

Could not care any less what a Matt Norlander thinks.
One guys opinion is hardly worth a thread.

So this guy is essentially predicting this might be CRB's last year coaching the Vols because 13th in the SEC is abysmal and unacceptable. There would have to be very little year over year improvement and even some steps taken backwards for the season to play out like this IMO.

It's difficult to predict how this season will play out because lots of guys will be getting more minutes and it's up to them and their coaching as to how they respond. With a somewhat improving SEC the Vols can't take any days off and expect to have a shot at making NCAA tourney.

We will finish in top 5 in SEC. I never go bold and this is not even bold. I think we will be that much better...flame away.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the SEC is underrated. However, if you finish 13th in this league and you have been at the job for more than two years you need to be fired.

I think the SEC is underrated. However, if you finish 13th in this league and you have been at the job for more than two years you need to be fired.

Agree. 13th with your most talented team to date is a fireable offense IMO. No excuse to finish outside the top half in the SEC at this point.

They picked us here last year with no prospects of making any noise in the SEC. We'll be in the Dance this year...no doubt.

First, if it didn't take a Gonzo Cuonzo petition to get him and the players fired up enough to coach/play to their ability, he may still be here. When he left, and Tindall came and we lost players to defection and graduation, the talent left was practically a basketball mirror image of Dooley's legacy.

If people can't see Barnes ability, they're blind. Regardless of how good a coach is, if he doesn't have athletes, the team's not going far. Last year was basically a re-set with I think 7-8 first year Vols, so it was tough to expect much more than they accomplished. I think this year's recruits will contribute immediately, and think we'll be in the Dance. If we go in the tank, then hot-seat conversations are worthy...but it's not going to happen.

VN Store

Back