Does Rick Barnes need to do a better job recruiting

Does Rick Barnes need to do a better job recruiting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bleedingTNorange

Simple question but let's give 3 options and see the results...

Does Rick Barnes need to do better on the recruiting trail?

Last edited:
I thought Barnes did well with last year's squad provided he didn't have much at all to work with. Losing Punter was a killer. Had Punter played the season, they would've been dancing. Hate that the team completely fell off the face of the earth at season's end. But overall, they overachieved. Remember some "experts" like Jimmy Hyams predicted they could have single digit wins last season.

Reactions: 2 people
Barnes has done a great job of getting a base of good players in here. We can see this year how much improvement there is and more top players will come here.
It is never going to be like Calipari gets, but I do not think this Univ or the fans wants that anyway.

Barnes has done a great job of getting a base of good players in here. We can see this year how much improvement there is and more top players will come here.
It is never going to be like Calipari gets, but I do not think this Univ or the fans wants that anyway.

Really? You dont think anyone wants a handful of blue chip prospects every year? Interesting

Reactions: 3 people
Really? You dont think anyone wants a handful of blue chip prospects every year? Interesting

I don't want a revolving door of uninvested kids coming thru every year, and if you ask, many Kentucky fans feel disconnected from the team regardless of Cal's success for that very reason. They miss the days when these kids stuck around for 3-4 years. They enjoy the winning, but it feels like cheering for a professional sports team that is raided by free agency every year.

Reactions: 5 people

My thought as well. I'd take 3+ one-n-dones every year. TBA would be packed, standing room only, raucous crowd with a noise level extremely high. But that is not going to happen at UT, at least not on a consistent basis.

Reactions: 2 people

The last two years, we have beaten a teams that recruited more than a hand full of 5* players 2 out of 0f 4 games. But, I guess every team split agains Kentucky the last 2 years. Well, maybe not.

The last two years, we have beaten a teams that recruited more than a hand full of 5* players 2 out of 0f 4 games. But, I guess every team split agains Kentucky the last 2 years. Well, maybe not.

Not everyone gets UK twice.
Getting 'up' for a game can lead to anomaly wins. They aren't a measure for how your program is doing overall.

Truly successful basketball programs have consistently good recruiting and have a proven track record of putting talent into the NBA. Other than a handful of folks, our NBA presence is declining and our recruiting has been subpar at best.

We are not a mid major program. We are a storied basketball program with a lot of tradition. We should consistently be within the top 10-20 in recruiting rankings and also going to the NCAA tourney at least once every two years.

Barnes's tenure so far has been a popcorn fart in the wind so far.

Truly successful basketball programs have consistently good recruiting and have a proven track record of putting talent into the NBA. Other than a handful of folks, our NBA presence is declining and our recruiting has been subpar at best.

We are not a mid major program. We are a storied basketball program with a lot of tradition. We should consistently be within the top 10-20 in recruiting rankings and also going to the NCAA tourney at least once every two years.

Barnes's tenure so far has been a popcorn fart in the wind so far.

In the past 40 years, take away the Green and Pearl eras, when have we consistently recruited in the top 10-20 though? I mean, that's nearly half of the entire existence of Tennessee basketball. I'd love for that be true and I hope one day it is, but in reality, Tennessee has 10 years of success in 40 years on the court since Ray Mears. That kind of recent history doesn't breed recruiting success like many wish it would.

At some point, that trend is bigger than a Barnes problem. It's a Tennessee basketball program problem.

In the past 40 years, take away the Green and Pearl eras, when have we consistently recruited in the top 10-20 though? I mean, that's nearly half of the entire existence of Tennessee basketball. I'd love for that be true and I hope one day it is, but in reality, Tennessee has 10 years of success in 40 years on the court since Ray Mears. That kind of recent history doesn't breed recruiting success like many wish it would.

At some point, that trend is bigger than a Barnes problem. It's a Tennessee basketball program problem.

Don Devoe made at least 3 NCAA Tourneys and gave UT, their last SEC Tourney Championship. So, maybe 14 years in the last 40

Don Devoe made at least 3 NCAA Tourneys and gave UT, their last SEC Tourney Championship. So, maybe 14 years in the last 40

DeVoe made 6 tournament appearances, 5 of which came immediately on the heels of Mears era. In hindsight, I may be discounting his tenure a bit.

DeVoe made 6 tournament appearances, 5 of which came immediately on the heels of Mears era. In hindsight, I may be discounting his tenure a bit.

He started out really hot (having Reggie Johnson and then Dale Ellis on the roster sure helped). He was steady, fans got spoiled and expected more, and fans get tired of almost any coach that's around for a decade or longer. Don's biggest issue was adapting to change. He didn't embrace the 3-pointer (when it was first added he said that any shooter looking at the position of their feet would find a seat on the bench), the 45 second clock really disrupted his end of game philosophy (he'd go into his version of a stall with any lead and about 4 +/- minutes left), and he was too much of a rigid disciplinarian to suit most big time 80s recruits. Don sure coached his players up. Navy was a great place for him to land.

He started out really hot (having Reggie Johnson and then Dale Ellis on the roster sure helped). He was steady, fans got spoiled and expected more, and fans get tired of almost any coach that's around for a decade or longer. Don's biggest issue was adapting to change. He didn't embrace the 3-pointer (when it was first added he said that any shooter looking at the position of their feet would find a seat on the bench), the 45 second clock really disrupted his end of game philosophy (he'd go into his version of a stall with any lead and about 4 +/- minutes left), and he was too much of a rigid disciplinarian to suit most big time 80s recruits. Don sure coached his players up. Navy was a great place for him to land.

A lot of his hard-a$$ disciplinarian philosophy had to come from learning from the master, Bob Knight. I was a big fan of DeVoe. Sorry, I undersold him, I guess I forgot he went to 6 Tourneys, thought it was 4. Even more impressive than I remember. Of course, I don't remember his first 2 or 3 years, I was too young.

Bump for an update.

52.72% feel it's either too early to tell, or that he's doing an adequate job currently...47.27% believe he needs to recruit better. Just like I predicted, more people siding similarly to how I feel than siding with the definitive Rick Barnes needs to recruit better, shocker.

52.72% feel it's either too early to tell, or that he's doing an adequate job currently...47.27% believe he needs to recruit better. Just like I predicted, more people siding similarly to how I feel than siding with the definitive Rick Barnes needs to recruit better, shocker.

Your poll questions are a joke. Even with your slanted hypothetical that makes zero sense you are still losing. 5% of people think he's doing a good job.

Your poll questions are a joke. Even with your slanted hypothetical that makes zero sense you are still losing. 5% of people think he's doing a good job.

As was your poll, as Chris said next time post a picture of a red car and ask if it's blue or yellow...stop being a little baby and whining when results don't go your way, take the L like a man.

False, maybe you should learn to read the results. The fraction of people who will be happy with the roster as is, or if he dances is larger than the group who says he needs to recruit better no matter what. SHOCKER!

As was your poll, as Chris said next time post a picture of a red car and ask if it's blue or yellow...stop being a little baby and whining when results don't go your way, take the L like a man.

False, maybe you should learn to read the results. The fraction of people who will be happy with the roster as is, or if he dances is larger than the group who says he needs to recruit better no matter what. SHOCKER!

75% of people think he needs to step it up.

"Hypothetical what ifs" are not of my concern. What if every player sucks and we go 10-20 this year?

Yes or no - does barnes need to do better? 75% say yes.

75% of people think he needs to step it up.

"Hypothetical what ifs" are not of my concern. What if every player sucks and we go 10-20 this year?

Yes or no - does barnes need to do better? 75% say yes.

Yes or no, this team goes dancing has Rick Barnes built a sufficiently talented roster?

94% say yes.

94>73

Keep up

Option 1...if you provided that 4th answer it would simply pull from the definitive yes group.

Take the L and move along Ziti

It's a horse crap poll.

Yes, no, too early to tell would have been 3 fair options.

You're presenting a third option of a hypothetical dream scenario. Pons could be the next LBJ for all we know. Your scenario is limitless. But it only presents one side. You knew that, which is why you phrased it the way you did.

You know Barnes isn't getting it done. Everyone does.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back