Does Rick Barnes need to do a better job recruiting?

Does Rick Barnes need to do a better job recruiting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well if that isn't a staged poll :crazy:

I think if you added a 3rd option..."too early to tell, need to see Year 3 results" you'd get a much more accurate representation. Again telling half the story.

Reactions: 8 people
Of course he does, but the future offers are a sign that he knows it.
The last 2 signees should tell you that he's feeling the pressure to start winning.
If he gets to the dance this season, i'd look for the roster to start upgrading in the following seasons.

I just find it funny how the majority of this fan base is knowledgeable but then there is this small group that keeps their Orange tented glasses on. What part of this program was in shandles do they not understand. Top 100 players want to win. Look good and make the league. We were lucky to not get just short of the death penalty with 2 of our previous 3 coaches. CRB is building a quality roster with 4 year players. And then he will mix in 1 or 2 slam dunk players when we start winning. But dont ever expect 4 or 5 lottery picks at a time. More of the Wichita State and Butler approach. And i like it. He had done a great job in my opinion.

Reactions: 7 people
Of course he does, but the future offers are a sign that he knows it.
The last 2 signees should tell you that he's feeling the pressure to start winning.
If he gets to the dance this season, i'd look for the roster to start upgrading in the following seasons.

Good post Cal.

So you're saying even if he wins he should recruit better, right?

Well if that isn't a staged poll :crazy:

I think if you added a 3rd option..."too early to tell, need to see Year 3 results" you'd get a much more accurate representation. Again telling half the story.

My thoughts exactly.

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt until this next season is over. If they were slightly under-talented, but he can coach them up, I'm fine with that. Maybe they are more talented than their rankings. I'm fine with that too.

I do think the talent level overall is higher than it has been in several years.

Reactions: 1 person
Simple question...

Does Rick Barnes need to do better on the recruiting trail?

You're obsessed with trying to be right about a certain subject... It's too early to tell so I'll keep my opinion to myself until I see the results on the basketball court this upcoming season. Until then, quit your whining & bickering about Barnes until we actually have a reason to not have faith in him.

Reactions: 8 people
You're obsessed with trying to be right about a certain subject... It's too early to tell so I'll keep my opinion to myself until I see the results on the basketball court this upcoming season. Until then, quit your whining & bickering about Barnes until we actually have a reason to not have faith in him.

Too early to tell for you. Not for me or 94% of this board so far and that includes the guy arguing against me the hardest. BTO himself.

It's kinda like he did with Cuonzo. Worshipped him for 3 years then signed the petition that ran him out of town.

Barnes needs to recruit better. Even BTO agrees.

Reactions: 2 people
Too early to tell for you. Not for me or 94% of this board so far and that includes the guy arguing against me the hardest. BTO himself.

It's kinda like he did with Cuonzo. Worshipped him for 3 years then signed the petition that ran him out of town.

I didn't expect Barnes to immediately pull 4 & 5*s his first couple of years on the job. He inherited a disaster that Tyndall left behind which no player wanted to be part of that.

If you're wanting to argue about his recruiting "On Paper", fine.

If you're wanting to argue about his recruiting to fit players for his system, then you're simply wrong.

If this team makes the NCAA Tournament with all those freshman & transfers that Barnes recruited, you can't argue about his recruiting. He got what was best available at the time. Sure, we had a few that hasn't really lived up to the hype but that happens with any program.

I do think he does a great job with developing players that wasn't really highly touted to fit his system despite not being able to pull in One & Dones like the Blue Bloods do every year.

If Barnes doesn't make the NCAA Tournament, I'll
agree with you that it's time for a change but until then, it's just pure speculation at this point. Anyone can point fingers and say that this particular person ain't doing something right until they actually have a legitimate reason to back up their argument.

Last edited:
Good post Cal.

So you're saying even if he wins he should recruit better, right?
I think everyone would agree and winning is a cure all for recruiting. So it should happen.
The last 2 signees were very encouraging to me. Top Juco and grad shows he's willing to adapt if need be.
I really think they improve a lot this season.
PS
I don't really think just getting to the dance is Barnes' goal. I think he wants to take it to the next level before he retires and to do that he'll need to add a couple of game changers now and then to the roster.
i think he's got a good base.

Last edited:
Barnes would say he needs to do a better job. You can always do a better job no matter what your field or how successful you have been in the past.

Reactions: 2 people
I think everyone would agree and winning is a cure all for recruiting. So it should happen.
The last 2 signees were very encouraging to me. Top Juco and grad shows he's willing to adapt if need be.
I really think they improve a lot this season.
PS
I don't really think just getting to the dance is Barnes' goal. I think he wants to take it to the next level before he retires and to do that he'll need to add a couple of game changers now and then to the roster.
i think he's got a good base.

You nailed it with your last paragraph. His goal is to be more than a participant in the tournament. He also knows he didn't walk into an immediate winning opportunity. He had to lay the groundwork. Now is the time to see results from that. Why some of our fans can't understand that, I don't know. Ignorance, arrogance, or just simply arguing to argue. You can't judge a product you haven't seen, and no one has seen half of this team play yet. So to outright assume Barnes has acquired a bunch of hacks (his 2016 class doesn't suggest that) is just silly before they have played their first game.

He needs to recruit better period. The rest of the coaches, Avery Johnson, Ben Howland,and now Counzo are all recruiting at a high clip they don't have to wait. Rick has earned the right to stay in Knoxville and not go out recruiting. That is a terrible comment. We have earned the right for our Hall of Fame coach to recruit better.

He needs to recruit better period. The rest of the coaches, Avery Johnson, Ben Howland,and now Counzo are all recruiting at a high clip they don't have to wait. Rick has earned the right to stay in Knoxville and not go out recruiting. That is a terrible comment. We have earned the right for our Hall of Fame coach to recruit better.

Those are the best examples you could muster up? 1 NCAA trip, a 1st rd exit, in 7 combined seasons at their current jobs (using Zo's Cal years)? That's just proof that recruiting at a high level doesn't automatically equate to winning. Throw Bruce Pearl years at Auburn into that pool of miracle workers while you're at it.

Reactions: 4 people

I actually didn't intend to vote, I was reading the poll and hit the button by accident and unfortunately haven't been able to figure out how to rescind it.

May wanna check out the results of the other poll that's out there, most fans agree they'll be happy with the roster if this years team makes the dance...not surprisingly you didn't allow for an answer like that to your poll.

VN Store

Back