Rank the last 10 UT coaches

Thunder Good-Oil

Their entire career. I'm excluding Cliff Wettig's interim term.

1 Rick Barnes
2a Ray Mears
2b Bruce Pearl
4 Don Devoe
5 Cuonzo Martin
6 Jerry Green
7 Buzz Petersen
8 Kevin O'Neill
9a Donnie Tyndall
9b Wade Houston

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
KO and JG both better than Cuonzo.

I gave CCM extra credit for his initial class at Missouri. He could drop like a rock.

I think that KO was a good coach... but Dickey ****ed up his potential at UT. Ability wise, I think that Pearl and KO are very similar. But IMO BP has character issues and KO has anger issues.

Last edited:
Why would we care about their entire career. If they haven't done anything for Tennessee why should we care?

Reactions: 10 people
Pearl, Devoe, and Mears are the only ones with SEC titles. They should be 1,2,3.

I"d have Tyndall, Peterson, and Houston at 8,9,10.

Reactions: 1 person
Not interested in ranking anything but coaching here...Following ranking are my recollections and thoughts. May not be 100% accurate. I have slept since then.

1 Ray Mears - Recruited best starting 5. Never had much bench, which limited success nationally.
2 Bruce Pearl - Like Mears, Asst Coaches greatly assisted success.
3 Don Devoe - Should have embraced 3 pointers.
4 Kevin O'Neil - Inherited Houston's dumpster fire. His recruiting set up Jerry Green's run. Not as bad as most think, but boring style while here.
5 Cuonzo Martin - Just an average coach while here.
6 Jerry Green - Good teams. Not his own.
7 Donnie Tyndall - Better than people want to admit. Character issues made it moot.
8 Buzz Petersen - A misplaced avg. high school coach.
9 Wade Houston - Caused most of O'Neil's struggles.

Rick Barnes - This season will go a long way toward making his place in this list, IMO. I would place him in the middle range up to this point (3 - 6), given the dumpster fire he inherited. He has had plenty of time with his recruits up to this point. So, this season should be a good indicator if his recruiting style, and his coaching style, will be up to par.

Reactions: 3 people
I will always be a Devoe fan. Who was the red head guy that flipped off the crowd during the SEC tournament?

Why would we care about their entire career. If they haven't done anything for Tennessee why should we care?

Dang man. Can you not just roll with the OP's program? It's as decent an off-season thread as you'll find. If you want to revamp it, then start a UT only ranking thread. \end rant

Not interested in ranking anything but coaching here...Following ranking are my recollections and thoughts. May not be 100% accurate. I have slept since then.

1 Ray Mears - Recruited best starting 5. Never had much bench, which limited success nationally.
2 Bruce Pearl - Like Mears, Asst Coaches greatly assisted success.
3 Don Devoe - Should have embraced 3 pointers.
4 Kevin O'Neil - Inherited Houston's dumpster fire. His recruiting set up Jerry Green's run. Not as bad as most think, but boring style while here.
5 Cuonzo Martin - Just an average coach while here.
6 Jerry Green - Good teams. Not his own.
7 Donnie Tyndall - Better than people want to admit. Character issues made it moot.
8 Buzz Petersen - A misplaced avg. high school coach.
9 Wade Houston - Caused most of O'Neil's struggles.

Rick Barnes - This season will go a long way toward making his place in this list, IMO. I would place him in the middle range up to this point (3 - 6), given the dumpster fire he inherited. He has had plenty of time with his recruits up to this point. So, this season should be a good indicator if his recruiting style, and his coaching style, will be up to par.

You are just about right.

Don Devoe was an excellent X & Os coach. Could do more with less than any UT coach I remember. Very good career at Navy.

Their entire career. I'm excluding Cliff Wettig's interim term.

1 Rick Barnes
2a Ray Mears
2b Bruce Pearl
4 Don Devoe
5 Cuonzo Martin
6 Jerry Green
7 Buzz Petersen
8 Kevin O'Neil
9a Donnie Tyndall
9b Wade Houston

Glad you put entire career, or your boy would be 9a.

1-Mears
2-Pearl
3-DeVoe
4-Mauer
5-Clevenger
6-Green
7-Gullion
8-Martin
9-Barnes
10-Tyndall

This is the all time list. Oneil had only losing seasons should have been a winner in year 3. Regardless of whether you like him or not Green had four straight 20 win seasons. Clevenger was 50 and 14 in his career as coach. Mears was in a time when it was tough to get to the NCAA tourney and he was always a thorn in Kentucky's side. Pearl would have been the best if he could have stayed for the time he was here won as much as anybody that has ever coached here. Mauer was a very solid coach for UT as was Gullion.
Martin had a winning record and one great run in the NCAA.

Houston and Peterson are the worst coaches that have ever coached here.

Last Ten UT coaches

1-Mears
2-Pearl
3-DeVoe
4-Green
5-Martin
6-Barnes
7-O'Neil
8-Tyndall
9-Peterson
10-Houston

1-Mears
2-Pearl
3-DeVoe
4-Mauer
5-Clevenger
6-Green
7-Gullion
8-Martin
9-Barnes
10-Tyndall

This is the all time list. Oneil had only losing seasons should have been a winner in year 3. Regardless of whether you like him or not Green had four straight 20 win seasons. Clevenger was 50 and 14 in his career as coach. Mears was in a time when it was tough to get to the NCAA tourney and he was always a thorn in Kentucky's side. Pearl would have been the best if he could have stayed for the time he was here won as much as anybody that has ever coached here. Mauer was a very solid coach for UT as was Gullion.
Martin had a winning record and one great run in the NCAA.

Houston and Peterson are the worst coaches that have ever coached here.

Last Ten UT coaches

1-Mears
2-Pearl
3-DeVoe
4-Green
5-Martin
6-Barnes
7-O'Neil
8-Tyndall
9-Peterson
10-Houston

"A" for effort although neither list fits the criteria per the OP and thread title.

Basically I asked: of the last 10 UT coaches, how would you rank their entire body of work as a coach? All stops included.

Last edited:
Actually, I probably should move O'Neill in front of Buzz and maybe Jerry too. He did a very good job at Marquette and although he sucked at Toronto, it says a lot for him that he actually was the only UT coach that was also a head coach in the NBA. KO has a great résumé if you ignore the W/L record... the SEC, the Big 10, the PAC 12, the NBA. For now I should also slide O'Neill ahead of Cuonzo, but if Cuonzo gets Missouri in the top half if the SEC and into the NCAAT or NIT this coming season then I'd have to keep him ahead of KO.

Actually, I probably should move O'Neill in front of Buzz and maybe Jerry too. He did a very good job at Marquette and although he sucked at Toronto, it says a lot for him that he actually was the only UT coach that was also a head coach in the NBA. KO has a great résumé if you ignore the W/L record... the SEC, the Big 10, the PAC 12, the NBA. For now I should also slide O'Neill ahead of Cuonzo, but if Cuonzo gets Missouri in the top half if the SEC and into the NCAAT or NIT this coming season then I'd have to keep him ahead of KO.

I put O'Neill ahead of several, just for recruiting ability alone. What he inherited at UT was worse than what Barnes inherited, and he recruited some good players. I think he left before he had the chance to do much with them. Maybe not the best X's and O's coach, but you gotta recruit 'em before you can coach 'em (unless you are coach Green).

VN Store

Back