Post Rotation

IndianapolisVol

(Volunteer) Basketball Mod
For the first time in 2-3 years the Vols are going to have some quality (albeit young) depth in the front court. Obviously Grant Williams will get 25-30 minutes a night--he played 26 as a true freshman. But this early in the game there's no telling how Rick spreads out the rest of the minutes.

For the sake of a good basketball discussion, let's say the rotation at the 4 and 5 was up to you. Also for the sake of discussion let's say Fulk is 100% healthy for the start of the season.

How would you divide the minutes and what combinations of guys would you use? Would you play Williams with 4 guards in a small ball style offense? Would you bump Williams up to SF and have guys like Fulk and Alexander down low for short spurts against taller lineups? How much playing time would you give the young guys?

Interested in hearing your thoughts. Wish it was basketball time in Tennessee.

Williams gets 30 minutes per game at small forward and power forward while Fulkerson gets 20 mpg at sf and pf and Kent and Walker get mpg at pf and center while I would consider redshirting Alexander so he can get stronger and develop his offensive arsenal.

Reactions: 1 person
Williams 28/Schofield 7/Fulkerson 5
Alexander 20/Fulkerson 15/Walker 5

Which falls in line with...

Darrington 20/Bone 20
Daniel 23/Bowden 17
Schofield 20/Pons 12/Johnson 8
Williams 28/Schofield 7/Fulkerson 5
Alexander 20/Fulkerson 15/Walker 5

Last edited:
I keep thinking Walker is going to surprise us and get more minutes than expected. Of course, that may just be wishful thinking

IMO Pons plays some 4.

I want to see some 1990 Paul Westhead Loyola-Marymount style basketball this year.

Would love to see them run a little bit of "the system" as they called it.

SIDE NOTE: The ESPN 30 for 30 about Westhead, Hank Gathers, Bo Kimble and those LMU teams is fantastic. Highly recommend if anyone hasn't seen it.

Guessing everyone still puts Kent on a red shirt.? I just have a hard time penciling Alexander in for 20 a game. Would love for him to step up and own the 5, just don't think he's shown enough progression to assume he will. I think Williams still plays the majority of minutes at the 5, and wouldn't be surprised if Walker just focuses on D and rebounding to spell Williams 10-12 min per. Jmo

Reactions: 2 people
Guessing everyone still puts Kent on a red shirt.? I just have a hard time penciling Alexander in for 20 a game. Would love for him to step up and own the 5, just don't think he's shown enough progression to assume he will. I think Williams still plays the majority of minutes at the 5, and wouldn't be surprised if Walker just focuses on D and rebounding to spell Williams 10-12 min per. Jmo

I'm predicting that nobody will redshirt unless Barnes has been told his job is absolutely safe. He needs to get to the NCAAT this year... no need to build depth for a couple of years out if he's in danger of losing his job.

Where they completely skip over the Vols stomping Miami in the Sugar Bowl?

I mean, to their defense, the documentary is about Miami's dominance in that era... one blemish isn't hard to overlook when you're talking about a 10-15 year period of time.

That's like an LSU fan asking why footage of Rohan Davey going down in the 2001 SEC title game and Matt Mauk coming in and killing us in the 2nd half got left out of the Decade of Dominance DVD.

VN Store

Back