Vols to renew series with Memphis in 2018

Volinmem

At the Big Orange Caravan event here in Memphis today, CRB said that he has been working with Tubby Smith to get the series started again. He expects it to start in 2018. Siap.

Reactions: 6 people
nice move...gotta keep trying to work Mempho into the recruiting mix...if we could put a fence around that whole area it could pay dividends...:thumbsup:

GO BIG ORANGE!

At the Big Orange Caravan event here in Memphis today, CRB said that he has been working with Tubby Smith to get the series started again. He expects it to start in 2018. Siap.

You mean with Memphis STATE? :whistling:

I'm sorry but I'm just not keen on devoting a lot of time and resources to recruiting Memphis proper. West Tennessee? sure...but it's a roll of the dice as a general rule recruiting the City of Memphis...,

Reactions: 2 people
I'm sorry but I'm just not keen on devoting a lot of time and resources to recruiting Memphis proper. West Tennessee? sure...but it's a roll of the dice as a general rule recruiting the City of Memphis...,

What's so dicey about an entire city? Memphis has had more success in hoops since the 80s than we have I believe. And they are heavily loaded from their hometown. Exactly what do you mean? That's an awful big city.

What's so dicey about an entire city? Memphis has had more success in hoops since the 80s than we have I believe. And they are heavily loaded from their hometown. Exactly what do you mean? That's an awful big city.

Actually, if you take out the Derrick Rose year (which is fair since he shouldn't have been eligible), UT has more tourney wins than Memphis in the last 20 years.

As long as Tubby is at Memphis, we should recruit Memphis like crazy. Tubby lost out on a recruit to a D-2 school (Ouachita Baptist)and he's barely even recruiting the city of Memphis at all. We have no excuses.

There's some posters who are critical of Coach Barnes at times but it could be worse. We could be giving away as many free lower level tickets as possible so the Grizzlies don't kick us out for failing to maintain attendance levels...that may be as bad as losing out on a recruit to a D2 school.

Reactions: 1 person
I wish that more of our former players from Memphis were better ambassadors for UTBB. Harris and Brooks especially are a couple of really good former players that were somewhat volatile while in Knoxville. Were Weezy, Dane, Lang, and JP all from the Memphis area? I know that Michael Brooks went to Memphis Melrose. I don't recall Tony Harris' HS.

Is Mark Griffin from the Memphis area?

Memphis is almost like a different country. I'm okay taking sloppy seconds from North Carolina and focusing on ATL instead. I wish that all UT sports had a branch recruiting office in Nashville.

I wish that more of our former players from Memphis were better ambassadors for UTBB. Harris and Brooks especially are a couple of really good former players that were somewhat volatile while in Knoxville. Were Weezy, Dane, Lang, and JP all from the Memphis area? I know that Michael Brooks went to Memphis Melrose. I don't recall Tony Harris' HS.

Is Mark Griffin from the Memphis area?

Memphis is almost like a different country. I'm okay taking sloppy seconds from North Carolina and focusing on ATL instead. I wish that all UT sports had a branch recruiting office in Nashville.

Harris went to East. Dane and JP both went to White Station. Lang, I can't remember, and Weezy was from Jackson, TN.

Most people's thinking has always involved counting the number of recruiting hot spots closer to Knoxville than Memphis, and also listing the number of programs closer to Memphis than UT. I don't know if Shelby county has ever done a study, but I have heard plenty of people assert there are more college educated people living there with diplomas from Ole Miss than Tennessee.

I don't know if it is logical reasoning or other motivations, but most feel Memphis is an area we should only go into if there is a 5 star prospect. If you don't establish a recruiting presence there, you won't get them.

Back a few years ago, I believe the Vols played one home football game every year in the Liberty Bowl. And I am sure they had a reasonable explanation for why that stopped. However, I believe that is a big reason why Memphis seems more difficult to recruit. Restoring the basketball series seems a step in the right direction though.

Harris went to East. Dane and JP both went to White Station. Lang, I can't remember, and Weezy was from Jackson, TN.

Lang from Bolton, I know him well, Weezy from Bolivar and Mark Griffin was from Dyer county ( I think)...Memphis is even very careful about the kids they recruit from Memphis....

Lang from Bolton, I know him well, Weezy from Bolivar and Mark Griffin was from Dyer county ( I think)...Memphis is even very careful about the kids they recruit from Memphis....

Correct on Chism. He played at Bolivar Central, but was from Jackson IIRC.

Most people's thinking has always involved counting the number of recruiting hot spots closer to Knoxville than Memphis, and also listing the number of programs closer to Memphis than UT. I don't know if Shelby county has ever done a study, but I have heard plenty of people assert there are more college educated people living there with diplomas from Ole Miss than Tennessee.

I don't know if it is logical reasoning or other motivations, but most feel Memphis is an area we should only go into if there is a 5 star prospect. If you don't establish a recruiting presence there, you won't get them.

Back a few years ago, I believe the Vols played one home football game every year in the Liberty Bowl. And I am sure they had a reasonable explanation for why that stopped. However, I believe that is a big reason why Memphis seems more difficult to recruit. Restoring the basketball series seems a step in the right direction though.

It is a step in the right direction, but the reasons for not wasting resources in Memphis are also valid. Geography, influence, and demographics all work against UT in the vast majority of cases. Not to mention, the midstate is steadily becoming a better talent pool, and one that UT doesn't face those same challenges in.

Step 1 to national title...be state champions of TN.

If you consider Tiger High "college educated", theres more U of M graduates in Shelby than any other school...

Calipari wanted to cancel the basketball series due to "recruiting advantages" for UT. UT decided to cancel FB then. Short sighted decision by Calipari since UT hasnt got a HS recruit out of Memphis that Memphis wanted and could offer since Tony Harris (note, Memphis couldnt offer Jarnell Stokes since he was mid year enrollee and they had no schollys).

You just have to live close to understand. Memphis is a different place than any other in Tennessee. However, its influence is starting to bleed out into other areas around it. (not just Tennessee)

As long as Tubby is at Memphis, we should recruit Memphis like crazy. Tubby lost out on a recruit to a D-2 school (Ouachita Baptist)and he's barely even recruiting the city of Memphis at all. We have no excuses.

There's some posters who are critical of Coach Barnes at times but it could be worse. We could be giving away as many free lower level tickets as possible so the Grizzlies don't kick us out for failing to maintain attendance levels...that may be as bad as losing out on a recruit to a D2 school.

lol, Memphis didn't lose out on the kid...Saul Smith offered a scholarship without running it by Tubby...Tubby didn't want the kid so he told him/his coach that Saul didn't have the authority to offer that scholarship in the first place and pulled it. Since he had no other offers, kid stuck with his D2 school.

Memphis will be 'meh' this season, but we only lose 1 player (rivers) and hopefully add Alex Lomax for 2018...we should be rollin' by the 2018-19 season when we start playing.

Last edited:
If you consider Tiger High "college educated", theres more U of M graduates in Shelby than any other school...

Calipari wanted to cancel the basketball series due to "recruiting advantages" for UT. UT decided to cancel FB then. Short sighted decision by Calipari since UT hasnt got a HS recruit out of Memphis that Memphis wanted and could offer since Tony Harris (note, Memphis couldnt offer Jarnell Stokes since he was mid year enrollee and they had no schollys).

Jesus...y'all are still talking about Stokes and Harris? It's 2017, folks.

VN Store

Back