Vols prepare for Europe

Dallasbowlin

Everything woke turns to sh*t
http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060917aab.html

KNOXVILLE -- With the Tennessee Basketball program set to get an early jump on the 2017-18 season during a summer tour Spain and France, the Volunteers held their first of 10 extra summer practices Friday at Pratt Pavilion.

The trip overseas, which runs Aug. 2-12, will see the Vols make stops in Barcelona, Valencia and Paris. The 11-day trip will feature three exhibition games against European clubs and plenty of sightseeing -- unique and valuable opportunities for building team chemistry heading into the college season.

"We're all excited about this trip for a lot of reasons," rising junior Kyle Alexander said. "Some of us -- myself included -- have never been overseas before. So that whole experience will be something new for a lot of us. But also, the opportunity to get some extra team practice time during the summer and then play three actual games, that's going to help our development as a team. We're very fortunate to have an opportunity to make a trip like this, and we plan to make the most of it."

NEWCOMER JERSEY NUMBERS

Four of Tennessee's five newcomers were on hand for Friday's workout as forwards Zach Kent (Magnolia, Delaware) and Derrick Walker (Kansas City) as well as junior college transfer Chris Darrington (Toledo, Ohio; Vincennes University) and graduate transfer James Daniel III (Hampton, Virginia; Howard University) are officially enrolled. Only forward Yves Pons (Fuveau, France) has yet to arrive on Rocky Top.

All five newcomers have been assigned their jersey numbers.
3 - James Daniel III
15 - Derrick Walker
32 - Chris Darrington
33 - Zach Kent
35 - Yves Pons

Rising junior Brad Woodson has switched jersey numbers and will wear No. 12.

THE TRAINING ROOM

With preparation for Europe underway, three Vols are sidelined with injuries.

James Daniel III remains limited as he recovers from a chipped bone in his left ankle -- the same injury that caused him to miss all but two games last season at Howard.

Also continuing to progress in his rehab is guard Lamonte Turner, who underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder last month. Barring any setbacks, Turner could return to full participation by the end of the summer.

Forward John Fulkerson, who continues to rehab the dislocated right elbow and fractured right wrist that limited him to just 10 games last season, underwent surgery on his left shoulder last month to repair a torn labrum. The Kingsport, Tennessee, native is sidelined indefinitely.

All three will be unavailable for this month's Rocky Top Summer League, which begins June 15.

EUROPEAN TOUR ITINERARY

DAY 1 | AUG. 2 | DEPARTURE
Overnight flight to Barcelona

DAY 2 | AUG. 3 | BARCELONA
Orientation walking tour
Las Ramblas
La Boqueria Food Market
Practice (optional)
Welcome dinner

DAY 3 | AUG. 4 | BARCELONA
Guided tour of the city
1992 Olympic sites
Montjuïc Hill
Olympic team-building experience

DAY 4 | AUG. 5 | BARCELONA
Guide tour of La Sagrada Família
GAME ONE

DAY 5 | AUG. 6 | BARCELONA | VALENCIA
Travel to Valencia via Cambrils
Catamaran cruise with BBQ lunch
Evening at leisure

DAY 6 | AUG. 7 | VALENCIA
Bullfighting museum & arena
GAME TWO

DAY 7 | AUG. 8 | VALENCIA
Beach time in Valencia
Paella cooking class (optional)

DAY 8 | AUG. 9 | VALENCIA | PARIS
Tour City of Arts & Sciences
Mercado Central
Evening flight to Paris

DAY 9 | AUG. 10 | PARIS
Guided tour of the city
Champs-Élysées
Arc de Triomphe
GAME THREE

DAY 10 | AUG. 11 | PARIS
Visit the Louvre Museum
Eiffel Tower (evening)
Seine River cruise
Farewell dinner

DAY 11 | AUG. 12 | RETURN
Flight back to the United States

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
"Forward John Fulkerson, who continues to rehab the dislocated right elbow and fractured right wrist that limited him to just 10 games last season, underwent surgery on his left shoulder last month to repair a torn labrum. The Kingsport, Tennessee, native is sidelined indefinitely."
:thud::ermm::no:

"Forward John Fulkerson, who continues to rehab the dislocated right elbow and fractured right wrist that limited him to just 10 games last season, underwent surgery on his left shoulder last month to repair a torn labrum. The Kingsport, Tennessee, native is sidelined indefinitely."

Thanks. If working on grabbing quotes and posting now.

wonder if they need a ball boy for this trip...give my all for Tennessee...:rock:...:)

GO VOLS!

That's disappointing. Hopefully he can get and stay healthy.

Makes you wonder what the hey is going on over there. Can't see how he'd injure his labrum while in recovery. Whicheans he's had an undetected injury.

From the pics, Walker looks like he might be getting back to 15-16 shape. He could really help til fulk gets back, hopefully sometime December or January.

From the pics, Walker looks like he might be getting back to 15-16 shape. He could really help til fulk gets back, hopefully sometime December or January.

Fulk isn't going to be back playing until December or January? Where did you hear that?

From the following I gather Turner also had a shoulder surgery.

basillo

UT Hoops With Tough Injury News: Tennessee Basketball did the customary Friday afternoon bad news dump back on day 799 when they revealed that John Fulkerson had undergone a shoulder surgery recently for a torn labrum. That's a tough blow for a young man already recovering from an injury that lost him for the 2016-2017. Fulkerson is a key piece for Vols and now faces a recovery time that could last anywhere from 3 to 6 months. This certainly could impede his progress this off-season. I always hate seeing college athletes get hurt as they put so much into playing a sport. Tough break. Plus LaMonte Turner had a shoulder surgery as well. It's also been revealed that James Daniel III is recovering from an ankle surgery that he had back in February. Let's hope this group can stay healthy for the rest of the off-season.

True, I just was surprised when I saw December/January being mentioned...so is Turner also likely out until then as well?

Have to wonder how far along he was in rehab from the other 2 injuries. Could this extend the recovery time from those also?
Our luck we won't see him at all. But that's the Pess. in me.

Turner's was orthoscopic. Faster recovery usually.
Don't hold be to the spelling.

Have to wonder how far along he was in rehab from the other 2 injuries. Could this extend the recovery time from those also?
Our luck we won't see him at all. But that's the Pess. in me.

Turner's was orthoscopic. Faster recovery usually.
Don't hold be to the spelling.
I have this bad feeling that Fulkerson is going to stay on the injury train. Usually when someone gets this many injuries in this quick or time, I feel like the trend continues. Hope I'm wrong.

VN Store

Back