James Daniel commits

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
He has a player thread already but figured the commitment was worthy of a thread. Nice pickup imo.

[Twitter]@GoodmanESPN: Tennessee lands grad transfer James Daniel (@byrds_view11), led nation in scoring 2 years ago. Said he chose Vols over Ohio State & DePaul.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/866657933375021056[/twitter]

Reactions: 20 people
Tennessee put the final piece of its 2017 recruiting class into place today with the news that fifth year transfer James Daniel from Howard had picked the Vols.

The Vols got Daniel’s final official visit of his recruitment last week and Rick Barnes and his staff made that visit count, convincing Daniel to spend his final college season in Knoxville.

Daniel (6-foot-0, 175 pounds), originally from Hampton, Va., led all of Division I in scoring two years ago as a junior at Howard, pumping in 27.1 ppg.

After visiting Tennessee last week Daniel made it sound like the Vols were a real possibility, saying he was impressed with Barnes and what he saw in Knoxville.

“Coach Barnes, that’s what stood out the most from this trip, just getting to visit with him, hear his stories and get to know him a little as a person,” Daniel shared.

“I was also really impressed with what I saw about their player development, how much energy and effort they put into really making guys better and doing everything they can to make sure their players reach their potential.”

In addition to Tennessee he also visited Ohio State, Michigan and Depaul before making a decision.

Daniel becomes the fourth member of Tennessee’s 2017 signing class, taking up a spot on the roster just recently opened up by Shembari Phillips’ decision to transfer.

Daniel joins junior college guard Chris Darrington and high school big men Derrick Walker and Zach Kent in the Vols’ four-man singing class. Daniel and Darrington were both late signees—along with Walker—but the two guard didn’t emerge as serious targets for the staff until after the season and then were locked up rather hurriedly.

Reactions: 8 people
Tennessee put the final piece of its 2017 recruiting class into place today with the news that fifth year transfer James Daniel from Howard had picked the Vols.

The Vols got Daniel’s final official visit of his recruitment last week and Rick Barnes and his staff made that visit count, convincing Daniel to spend his final college season in Knoxville.

Daniel (6-foot-0, 175 pounds), originally from Hampton, Va., led all of Division I in scoring two years ago as a junior at Howard, pumping in 27.1 ppg.

After visiting Tennessee last week Daniel made it sound like the Vols were a real possibility, saying he was impressed with Barnes and what he saw in Knoxville.

“Coach Barnes, that’s what stood out the most from this trip, just getting to visit with him, hear his stories and get to know him a little as a person,” Daniel shared.

“I was also really impressed with what I saw about their player development, how much energy and effort they put into really making guys better and doing everything they can to make sure their players reach their potential.”

In addition to Tennessee he also visited Ohio State, Michigan and Depaul before making a decision.

Daniel becomes the fourth member of Tennessee’s 2017 signing class, taking up a spot on the roster just recently opened up by Shembari Phillips’ decision to transfer.

Daniel joins junior college guard Chris Darrington and high school big men Derrick Walker and Zach Kent in the Vols’ four-man singing class. Daniel and Darrington were both late signees—along with Walker—but the two guard didn’t emerge as serious targets for the staff until after the season and then were locked up rather hurriedly.

Whoever wrote that article left out the biggest jewel in the 5-man class, Yves Pons.

Reactions: 17 people
People are worried about his assist to turnover ratio, which is fair, but I assume he'll play off the ball on offense. He'll play mainly as a shooter, and a lot on the pick and roll game. Gives us another great scorer.

Reactions: 1 person
Got to credit Barnes for addressing a major deficiency. This team lacked pure shooters, which allows teams to pack it in on defense. This should open up post opportunities as well.

Hard to imagine this isn't a tourney team.

Reactions: 7 people
Just curious - in looking at this past season's stats it appears he only played in 2 games.. I saw where he had a high ankle sprain in October but didn't look like it was season-ending? Anybody got more info?

Just curious - in looking at this past season's stats it appears he only played in 2 games.. I saw where he had a high ankle sprain in October but didn't look like it was season-ending? Anybody got more info?

Yes, it ended up being season-ending. Had surgery in March.

"It came down to the relationship with coach [Rick] Barnes, the rest of the staff and the environment," Daniel told ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman. "I think that Tennessee is ready to win right now."

Reactions: 3 people
Welcome James, and thanks for the commit...we needed you...hopefully, we'll have a good season, and,

PS. Coach Barnes stepping it up...should be a much better season...:crossfingers:

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back