Shembari Phillips Transferring

wisvol22

There was some speculation recently, but Shembari Phillips has been granted his release per Josh Ward. Makes room for a graduate transfer.

That leaves Turner and Schoefield as the last of Donnie Tyndall's legacy. Barnes chose to sign them though... they're not exclusively Donnie's boys.

Reactions: 1 person
Seems Tennessee is embracing the concept of one and done. But instead of declaring for the NBA, our highly touted players transfer. Excuse me if I don't revel in this news.

Reactions: 4 people
Prime example of how the guards have struggled and not developed over the last 2 years....imo

Seems Tennessee is embracing the concept of one and done. But instead of declaring for the NBA, our highly touted players transfer. Excuse me if I don't revel in this news.

Or he saw the writing on the wall. Bone, Bowden, & Turner are all better, and he wants to start.

Reactions: 3 people

I'd say it seems like you don't dabble in UT basketball news too often anyway...

Reactions: 15 people

Well Phillips isn't highly touted, and wouldn't have played much this year.

Reactions: 4 people
Prime example of how the guards have struggled and not developed over the last 2 years....imo

The only other guards that touched the court were Mostella and Hubbs. You know damn well Mostella developed nicely, and Hubbs came out of nowhere with an exceptional mid range game in his 2nd year under Barnes. Do we also need to rehash what happened with Kevin Punter?

Reactions: 12 people
The only other guards that touched the court were Mostella and Hubbs. You know damn well Mostella developed nicely, and Hubbs came out of nowhere with an exceptional mid range game in his 2nd year under Barnes. Do we also need to rehash what happened with Kevin Punter?

The only other guards?

You're right about Punter though. RB made a huge difference for him.

Uh oh, VolSportsFan, I gave RB credit , Somebody report me

Last edited:

Did you really expect him not to turn it into negative against Barnes?

I hope there's an unannounced 2018 commitment that motivated Barnes to let this happen. I thought that SP was good to have on the roster as a larger guard. It's probably best for Shembari to move on though if he wants a lot of minutes. He'll do much better getting them in a mid-major conference. It will be funny if he lands at WKU.

The only other guards?

You're right about Punter though. RB made a huge difference for him.

From year 1 to year 2, yes, the only other guards that touched the court outside of Phillips were Mostella and Hubbs. The one that showed the least progress between those three is transferring.

I just knew this was coming. I hate it for him because I thought Phillips could have been a really solid player for us.

In my opinion, I don't think he received enough playing time nor was he used the right way his time at UT. Good fortunes for you young man wherever you end in playing. Thanks.

With such a misunderstanding of the situation I can only assume your subtitle on avatar illustrates your true position....if not??...woooo....

I hope there's an unannounced 2018 commitment that motivated Barnes to let this happen. I thought that SP was good to have on the roster as a larger guard. It's probably best for Shembari to move on though if he wants a lot of minutes. He'll do much better getting them in a mid-major conference. It will be funny if he lands at WKU.

Since when was 6'3 a larger guard? We will replace him with someone better though.

When the others are 6' or smaller. I think that Mostella was 6'1". SP was also not rail thin. Bigger than Turner and Bone. Thicker than Johnson and Bowden.

I'd say average sized . 6' is undersized. We don't have any 6' guards though. The closest was Parker who jumped out the gym. He is about the same size as Bone, Turner, and Bowden.

Hasn't provided. Time to move on and allow him to find a new place to start. Appreciate the effort and time but needed to move on.

Average player who had trouble finding consistent playing time on an average (at best) team.

It hadn't happened for him in two years. With increased talent and competition, it wasn't likely that the light was going to instantly come on for him.

Good luck to him, but anyone believing this was a "loss" for next year's team need a reality check. We'll be fine, and perhaps better depending on who replaces him, and he can go after the minutes he wants at a smaller school.

VN Store

Back