Howard grad transfer PG James Daniel

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
BTO posted in the recruiting thread but figured it was worth of a thread. Any thoughts on this kid?

"Howard grad transfer James Daniel (@byrds_view11) sets visits to Ohio State (May 14), Tennessee (27), Michigan (29). Also looking at DePaul." -- Jeff Goodman

Reactions: 1 person
Freak--off topic here, but coming up on 9 months without an infraction... I know you, Dallas and a few others are probably happy to see fewer trolling, pot-stirring, and personal posts trying to get people riled up. A million dead horses and I haven't beat a single one. So much personal stuff that would piss off/annoy/rile up other posters and I've refrained. Keeping it all Tennessee.

We looking at a top 10 spot in your short list for future mods yet, or what?

Actually, no response needed. I'll be waiting by the phone like Barnett on draft day. Thanks for all 7 of the second chances, you da man.

P.S. Not to be confused with "Indiana Volunteer" ...I've been so tempted to take advantage of that guy's recent influx in post frequency on the FB forum but I've restrained. Classic "Born Again Poster" situation, here.

Troll turned mod has a nice ring to it....

Reactions: 2 people
BTO posted in the recruiting thread but figured it was worth of a thread. Any thoughts on this kid?

I personally prefer Darrington as I think he's probably a little more efficienct and the idea of returning everyone the following year is enticing, but Daniel's is a very nice option if Darrington heads elsewhere. If he can become a more efficienct shooter by being on a better team he can be a very impactful player, I'm not sure if that's what ultimately happens though.

Freak--off topic here, but coming up on 9 months without an infraction... I know you, Dallas and a few others are probably happy to see fewer trolling, pot-stirring, and personal posts trying to get people riled up. A million dead horses and I haven't beat a single one. So much personal stuff that would piss off/annoy/rile up other posters and I've refrained. Keeping it all Tennessee.

We looking at a top 10 spot in your short list for future mods yet, or what?

Actually, no response needed. I'll be waiting by the phone like Barnett on draft day. Thanks for all 7 of the second chances, you da man.

P.S. Not to be confused with "Indiana Volunteer" ...I've been so tempted to take advantage of that guy's recent influx in post frequency on the FB forum but I've restrained. Classic "Born Again Poster" situation, here.

Troll turned mod has a nice ring to it....
I was just thinking recently what a fine upstanding member of the community you've become.

It's more proof that our rehabilitation system works! Lol.

Hope you're doing well Indy and it's always good to see you around. :hi:

Reactions: 3 people
I personally prefer Darrington as I think he's probably a little more efficienct and the idea of returning everyone the following year is enticing, but Daniel's is a very nice option if Darrington heads elsewhere. If he can become a more efficienct shooter by being on a better team he can be a very impactful player, I'm not sure if that's what ultimately happens though.

Your odds on getting Darrington at this point?

James Daniel, who led the nation in scoring at 27.1 points per game in 2015-16 while at Howard, ...
sounds like he can put it in the basket. Missed last season with an ankle injury.

From Ramey:

"I've heard a lot of different comparisons," Daniel said. "Me being at a smaller school, people have always said Stephen Curry (Davidson) or CJ McCollum (LeHigh) in reference to my game.

"I'm a really good leader and I like to approach the game very seriously."

Reactions: 1 person
Well, 60/40 aren't terrible odds.

Yeah, and I may be low-balling it even. I just thought the opportunity for playing time was greater at the other two options, especially Memphis, for him to turn down. Tennessee doesn't necessarily offer that immediate path to a starting spot and major minutes that a JUCO kid is typically looking for. I expected him to commit on the Memphis visit, or shortly afterwards. Maybe all of the recent defections there have given him cause for concern about team unity and stability. Tennessee definitely offers more of that in spades...how long has it been since we could say that?

Bottom line, of the teams he's looking at, Tennessee offers the best chance at winning and he will just have to out work the other guards for PT.

Got a legitimate question for you guys since I have not posted in a while. Do any of you think that bringing in a juco or grad transfer point guard will upset the guys fighting for that role? Just curious what your thoughts are. Havn't seen anyone comment of that.

PS Raptors 905 won the NBA D-League Eastern Division championship and is playing in the second round of the playoffs. Jerry Stackhouse was just announced as the D-League Coach of the Year and their 7'3", 265# center, Tavares, was named the D League Defensive Player of the Year and was called up by the Cleveland Cavaliers. He is now LaBron's teammate.

Last edited:
Got a legitimate question for you guys since I have not posted in a while. Do any of you think that bringing in a juco or grad transfer point guard will upset the guys fighting for that role? Just curious what your thoughts are. Havn't seen anyone comment of that.

PS Raptors 905 won the NBA D-League Eastern Division championship and is playing in the second round of the playoffs. Jerry Stackhouse was just announced as the D-League Coach of the Year and their 7'3", 265# center, Tavares, was named the D League Defensive Player of the Year and was called up by the Raptors.
It shouldn't. Jmo.

Why?

I want Darrington and by a long shot

Agreed. Daniel's is a brick-laying bulk scorer. Turner or Bowden could already do that. In fact, I'll go on record right now to say that both Turner and Bowden, and probably Shembari as well, will beat Daniel's 38% and 33% next year.

VN Store

Back