2017-2018 Vols vs ACC

IndianapolisVol

(Volunteer) Basketball Mod
Once again it's looking like we'll have a brutal non-conference schedule this coming basketball season. Nothing this past year didn't prepare us for.

UNC is the defending National Champ, but we came within a last second bucket of beating them this past season... 71-73...

Wake Forest returns 3 guys averaging 12 or more points but nothing stands out on paper as to why we can't beat them...

Ga Tech is coming off a below-average 11th place finish in the very strong ACC and Pastner hasn't put them in a position to be much better next year--I mean at the end of the day, it's still Pastner...

Who thinks we win all 3 of these games? Would be a strong supplement to a tournament resume if we end up on the bubble. Maybe not probable to win all 3, but surely not impossible. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Once again it's looking like we'll have a brutal non-conference schedule this coming basketball season. Nothing this past year didn't prepare us for.

UNC is the defending National Champ, but we came within a last second bucket of beating them last year... 65-67

Wake Forest returns 3 guys averaging 12 or more points but nothing stands out on paper as to why we can't beat them...

Ga Tech is coming off an average 11th place finish in the ACC and Pastner hasn't put them in a position to be much better next year--I mean at the end of the day, it's still Pastner...

Who thinks we win all 3 of these games? Would be a strong supplement to a tournament resume if we end up on the bubble.

Do we play Tech again? I was thinking that was a 2-game series, which has been completed (15-16 & 16-17).

We play Wake in Winston Salem this year, then next year in Knoxville.

Could also face NC State in Atlantis.

Pastner received a ton of praise and was considered by many the COY, not sure dogging him carries as much weight as it used to. He took a Georgia Tech team picked to finish last in the ACC and had them squarely on the NCAAT bubble.

Reactions: 1 person
Pastner received a ton of praise and was considered by many the COY, not sure dogging him carries as much weight as it used to. He took a Georgia Tech team picked to finish last in the ACC and had them squarely on the NCAAT bubble.

Valid points, but they still finished 11th in the ACC and don't have any immediate contributors in this year's class.

Valid points, but they still finished 11th in the ACC and don't have any immediate contributors in this year's class.

Well 11th in last years ACC is equivalent to about 6th or 7th in the SEC, so not sure it's a knock.

Lets monitor what happens the next couple weeks, they're still in it with 2 top 50 recruits for 2017 so that could change the outlook quite a bit. With those guys both in the fold they're potentially a top 25 team and likely NCAAT bound, with neither of those guys they're probably a 17-18 win NIT team, they return most of their rotation from last years squad.

Say what you want about Pastner and the job he did last year, but we still beat the doors off of them. We should still beat them next year, but not by as much as this year.

Say what you want about Pastner and the job he did last year, but we still beat the doors off of them. We should still beat them next year, but not by as much as this year.

That's kind of my thought as well, although BTO did make some good points.

Regardless I think 2/3 nonconference wins against the ACC should be the expectation. If we take UNC down to the wire again, who knows.

Regardless I think 2/3 nonconference wins against the ACC should be the expectation. If we take UNC down to the wire again, who knows.

I think 2 would be great, but with it being at Wake and at Tech I would say 1-2 is probably more likely than 2-1, hope I'm wrong.

Playing at GTech will be different. They return their top 3 scorers, and Josh Okogie really improved and became their leading scorer as a freshman.

Markel Crawford said on radio this week that he still speaks to Pastner, and they are in contention, but I don't think he really thrived at Memphis under Pastner.

Playing at GTech will be different. They return their top 3 scorers, and Josh Okogie really improved and became their leading scorer as a freshman.

Markel Crawford said on radio this week that he still speaks to Pastner, and they are in contention, but I don't think he really thrived at Memphis under Pastner.

Weren't we in on Okogie?

If UT plays North Carolina State, I think we will win 3 out of 4 against the ACC next season and give North Carolina another close game with that game being a tossup.

IIRC, it was kind of a mild upset that he picked GT over Tennessee.

I believe so, he came on on the first OV's that included Bone, Williams, De'Riante Jenkins and Okogie iirc...VQ and others thought there was a chance all 4 would be Vols, just Bone committed that weekend everyone else continued on visits. Jenkins picked VCU, Okogie GT and Williams ultimately Tennessee...that's when Tennessee moved on to Jalen Johnson.

I think we'll at least be competitive in all those games.
When this team is cooking on all five cylinders, magic can happen.

VN Store

Back