Barnes excited to add Pons, Walker

kamoshika

Tennessee announced Wednesday that Derrick Walker and Yves Pons have signed a National Letter of Intent, the first day of the spring signing period in college basketball.

The 6-foot-8, 250-pound Walker plans to enroll at UT this summer. “Derrick is going to blend nicely into our team due to his combination of size, strength and toughness,” UT coach Rick Barnes said in a school statement. “We’re also excited about his basketball IQ and the fact that he’s a vocal defender, a good rebounder and an excellent ball-handler and passer for a player of his size."

...“Yves will bring elite athleticism, explosiveness and versatility to our program - both on the perimeter and inside. He’s a long, athletic wing who can defend multiple positions, play fast and finish in transition, along with rebound on both ends. The SEC is one of the most physical and athletic leagues in the country, and those are two areas Yves and our team have a chance to excel in.”

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/mens-basketball/2017/04/12/rick-barnes-says-derrick-walker-blend-nicely-vols/100380262/

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041217aaa.html

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041217aab.html

Reactions: 10 people
Where do you guys see Walker fitting in on the low post? Having him gives Rick a lot more options at the 4 and 5 with Grant, Alexander, Fulk and Admiral.

I'm glad he's pleased, but considering his less than scintillating personality, Rick Barnes and excited seem like contradictory terms.

Reactions: 2 people
Finally a guy that actually looks about 6-8, maybe 6-10 with fro.
Number 23 in black in game below, enters at about 19 minutes if you haven't seen him play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNdin7qEus

If they can do the body transformation with him that they did with Williams I'll be excited to see him and Williams at 4 and 5 this season.

I'm glad he's pleased, but considering his less than scintillating personality, Rick Barnes and excited seem like contradictory terms.

Barnes can't win with some of you. I can respect the negative opinions of Barnes that are based in reality, but some of you bozos live in fantasy land. He'll never please you people. If he won 3 championships, you'd complain he didn't win 4.

Reactions: 9 people
I don't see him playing much, probably 10th or 11th guy in minutes, will appear in 22-25 games.

Kind of my thoughts as well, but valuable if Fulk or KA get into foul trouble. I'd like to see Williams almost exclusively at the 4. Having him there takes some of the pressure of banging around inside off of him and potentially frees him up on offense. Can't have him getting banged up. I love having a post player who can go for 30 points on any given night.

I don't see him playing much, probably 10th or 11th guy in minutes, will appear in 22-25 games.

Really depends on how well he plays on the boards.
Alexander was out rebounded by Schofield this season.
We didn't think fulk would be the rebounder he was, so it'll be interesting what the staff can do to get an actual big body in the mix.

Finally a guy that actually looks about 6-8, maybe 6-10 with fro.
Number 23 in black in game below, enters at about 19 minutes if you haven't seen him play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNdin7qEus

If they can do the body transformation with him that they did with Williams I'll be excited to see him and Williams at 4 and 5 this season.

some more vid on him below...guy can play!
fletch-afro-o.gif

Reactions: 3 people
Barnes can't win with some of you. I can respect the negative opinions of Barnes that are based in reality, but some of you bozos live in fantasy land. He'll never please you people. If he won 3 championships, you'd complain he didn't win 4.

I was only making an off-hand, quite neutral, comment about his demeanor, not a critique of his coaching acumen. A quiet demeanor is not necessarily a negative trait. It is generally preferable to a fiery temperament or a reactive mien in most situations. Whether his coaching skills have atrophied since his halcyon days at TX is debatable and discussion-worthy (in another thread perhaps), but his demeanor has at least remained consistent over the decades. There's a difference between an observation and a rebarbative comment.

Besides that, if he won three championships, he'd probably no longer be coach at UT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I was only making an off-hand, quite neutral, comment about his demeanor, not a critique of his coaching acumen. A quiet demeanor is not necessarily a negative trait. It is generally preferable to a fiery temperament or a reactive mien in most situations. Whether his coaching skills have atrophied since his halcyon days at TX is debatable and discussion-worthy (in another thread perhaps), but his demeanor has at least remained consistent over the decades. There's a difference between an observation and a rebarbative comment.

Besides that, if he won three championships, he'd probably no longer be coach at UT.

False. You were deliberately being a dick. Own it.

Reactions: 7 people

I guess your reputation makes the line between "an observation and a rebarbative statement" razor thin, if not non-existent altogether.

That said, your above explanation does little to sway my opinion that Barnes is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't in your mind. Not much you can say will change that opinion. You sort of are what you are.

Reactions: 1 person
The old apples to oranges rubric abides over my previous statement. It's purely academic.
Barnes has yet to gain my confidence, but I remain cautiously optimist - if he puts in the effort. Otherwise, I think my doubts about him are valid.
Only time will tell, but "Tempus do Fugit", as Scatman Crothers used to opine.
The next year or two should tell us all we need to know, pro or con.

The old apples to oranges rubric abides over my previous statement. It's purely academic.
Barnes has yet to gain my confidence, but I remain cautiously optimist - if he puts in the effort. Otherwise, I think my doubts about him are valid.
Only time will tell, but "Tempus do Fugit", as Scatman Crothers used to opine.
The next year or two should tell us all we need to know, pro or con.

You're just using this stuff to display your tidily phosconic zoberistic application of the English language. Here in lies worthy apuntursis accolades!

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe Special Ed can buy a large quantity of French toilet tissue for Pons so that he can feel as comfortable as possible in his new surroundings. Everyone needs their creature comforts.

VN Store

Back