Lamonte Turner appreciation thread

Chris4Vols22

GBO or GTFO
I still have Turner as the dark horse impact player for us next season. He had his ups and downs this season, but I believe he displayed an amazing array of skill, shooting, and having a killer mentality.

I truly think Turner has all the pieces to be a GREAT guard at UT. I can't remember which game it was, but I remember Turner crossing over a defender and sending him to his ass. I don't think I've seen a Vol do that since I've been watching. Bone has good handles too, but not quite as great as Turner. Tuner's shot isn't bad, albeit fairly inconsistent. Sometimes he puts a tonnnn of arch into it a la Scotty Hopson, but that should settle.

Aside from having apt skill and athleticism, the thing that I think sends Turner over the top is his attitude, and to a lesser extent, his swagger. When Turner is on the court, he's an attacker. He plays hard and very deliberately (which leads to a few too many turnovers and missed shots), but it's great that he at least looks like he has a lot of confidence. Our whole team needed more confidence several times during the season, and I really want to see Turner step up and be a leader. He reminds me of B Maze in terms of his attitude/swag; like he's on the court to get work done.

I'm not saying Turner will be the best guard in UT history, but I see more potential in him than any other guard on the roster right now. Bone is obviously very promising, and I think he and Turner will compliment each other very well.

I definitely don't think Turner will transfer, and do I think he will be one of our core players and possibly MVP caliber starting next season.

GBO.

Reactions: 8 people
I still have Turner as the dark horse impact player for us next season. He had his ups and downs this season, but I believe he displayed an amazing array of skill, shooting, and having a killer mentality.

I truly think Turner has all the pieces to be a GREAT guard at UT. I can't remember which game it was, but I remember Turner crossing over a defender and sending him to his ass. I don't think I've seen a Vol do that since I've been watching. Bone has good handles too, but not quite as great as Turner. Tuner's shot isn't bad, albeit fairly inconsistent. Sometimes he puts a tonnnn of arch into it a la Scotty Hopson, but that should settle.

Aside from having apt skill and athleticism, the thing that I think sends Turner over the top is his attitude, and to a lesser extent, his swagger. When Turner is on the court, he's an attacker. He plays hard and very deliberately (which leads to a few too many turnovers and missed shots), but it's great that he at least looks like he has a lot of confidence. Our whole team needed more confidence several times during the season, and I really want to see Turner step up and be a leader. He reminds me of B Maze in terms of his attitude/swag; like he's on the court to get work done.

I'm not saying Turner will be the best guard in UT history, but I see more potential in him than any other guard on the roster right now. Bone is obviously very promising, and I think he and Turner will compliment each other very well.

I definitely don't think Turner will transfer, and do I think he will be one of our core players and possibly MVP caliber starting next season.

GBO.

Being a "great guard" at UT does not say much, as I can't remember to many great guards playing here. As for "swag" I can't remember seeing swag winning to many games anywhere. Takes skill and talent and teamwork to win. Not trying to throw to much water on your parade, but placing our future on hope, and correcting ifs and buts for the floor leader, is placing us in a very weak position. Hope for better recruiting..

Agree with most of your assessment, but its funny because I would have said that Bone has the better handles and Turner has the better 3-point shot.

Reactions: 1 person
Being a "great guard" at UT does not say much, as I can't remember to many great guards playing here. As for "swag" I can't remember seeing swag winning to many games anywhere. Takes skill and talent and teamwork to win. Not trying to throw to much water on your parade, but placing our future on hope, and correcting ifs and buts for the floor leader, is placing us in a very weak position. Hope for better recruiting..

While, Tennessee is no where near UK or even UF when it comes to producing quality guards, its not like there haven't been any. Watson, Mcrea, and Richardson are all on NBA rosters and two of the three actually get to play. Maze would have been in the NBA if he kept his head on straight. Thompson, who is at Virginia now was a reallly solid point guard. Then you have oldies but goodies like Houston, Tony Harris, Scooter Mcfagdon, and of course we can't forget Jujuan Smith and the great Chris Lofton. I would say that Tennessee has been better at producing guards than big men, at least of the last 25 years.

Reactions: 2 people
Like to see him get the 350 a day 3pt lessons wasted on Hubbs last season.
I could see him being an effective catch and shoot guy on the perimeter and yet with the versatility to attack the rim.
Got to find some perimeter offense before next season.

While, Tennessee is no where near UK or even UF when it comes to producing quality guards, its not like there haven't been any. Watson, Mcrea, and Richardson are all on NBA rosters and two of the three actually get to play. Maze would have been in the NBA if he kept his head on straight. Thompson, who is at Virginia now was a reallly solid point guard. Then you have oldies but goodies like Houston, Tony Harris, Scooter Mcfagdon, and of course we can't forget Jujuan Smith and the great Chris Lofton. I would say that Tennessee has been better at producing guards than big men, at least of the last 25 years.

Mike Edwards and Tony White were great guards. Fred Jenkins, Rodney Woods, Johnny Darden, Jimmy England, Danny Shultz, and Michael Brooks were all very good. If Bill Justus was considered a guard rather than a forward he was another great one. Bill Hahn and Dickie Johnson were very good too.

Like to see him get the 350 a day 3pt lessons wasted on Hubbs last season.
I could see him being an effective catch and shoot guy on the perimeter and yet with the versatility to attack the rim.
Got to find some perimeter offense before next season.
This^^^

As far as Hubbs i think he thought he was to brick 350 a day.

When Turner played well, TN was usually playing winning basketball. He had 7 rebounds in the win over Kentucky.

He had some bad turnovers but overall he really didn't have too many. 67 TOs in 669 minutes. He was being called Lamonte Turnover by some, which was unfair... due more to bad timing of the TOs rather than the quantity.

He has potential if he has the work ethic to get better. He needs to be better at finishing the 2-pointers. His 3-pointer and free throw percentages were good.

Hoping he finds the consistency with the experience he gained last season, he can be a key piece to he puzzle if he puts it all together on a nightly basis.

Seems like when LT shoots, he has the ball too low and kind of pushes it rather than shooting it. That's something that Barnes could fix.

My appreciation of LT was for free throws late in games. He appeared to want to go to the line with the game in the balance and delivered most every time.

I would have said that Bone has the better handles and Turner has the better 3-point shot.

Me too. Bone certainly has more a consistent handle. Turner will make an amazing move (such as the one chris referenced in his post), but then he'll make an equally unimpressive blunder with the ball in his hands that is reminiscent of a baby deer learning to walk.

All in all, I don't think there is any freshman on the team that doesn't show promise for improvement. The only one (Parker) that I questioned development with decided to transfer, so that may work out for both parties. Turner, Bone, Fulk, Williams of course, and the positive reports on Jalen Johnson, all seem to have room to grow.

He needs to really, really, really improve his decision making and shot selection.

Yeah and he's got to learn how to finish at the rim...he has moves that can get him in the post but the next step is making the basket AFTER the move...I think this is one area were our guards really struggled....but getting stronger and learning to play at the rim at his level will take time....

Yeah and he's got to learn how to finish at the rim...he has moves that can get him in the post but the next step is making the basket AFTER the move...I think this is one area were our guards really struggled....but getting stronger and learning to play at the rim at his level will take time....

He is a undersized 2. I don't know if he can ever be a real pg. We need some size at the 2 and 3. We have too many 6'1-6'3 guards.

Mike Edwards and Tony White were great guards. Fred Jenkins, Rodney Woods, Johnny Darden, Jimmy England, Danny Shultz, and Michael Brooks were all very good. If Bill Justus was considered a guard rather than a forward he was another great one. Bill Hahn and Dickie Johnson were very good too.

Exactly. My knowledge of Tennessee basketball only goes back to the mid-nineties but it seems like Tennessee always has some solid guards.

I'm 6'3 and have seen both in person. Bowden is about my height. Hubbs has about an inch on me and is taller than both.

I'm pretty sure that TN lists them as 6'4" and 6'5" and players tend to lose height on UT's official list.

Never mind... they're both listed at 6'3". Johnson is 6'5".

Last edited:
I do not see him getting much better than he is right now. I hope I am wrong. He is not very athletic for a point guard. He is not very quick. and He is not tall enough to be a two guard. Once again I hope I am proven wrong but I do not believe he will get much better.

I do not see him getting much better than he is right now. I hope I am wrong. He is not very athletic for a point guard. He is not very quick. and He is not tall enough to be a two guard. Once again I hope I am proven wrong but I do not believe he will get much better.

He has deficiencies in his game. Lots of things that he can get much better at. Since he's going to be pretty old for a sophomore, if he doesn't step it up in this off season, I'll agree that he isn't likely to get much better in his last two years.

VN Store

Back