How Much is Each College Basketball Team Worth?

All we gotta do is get it right once. The Pearl era was so much fun. Hope we find another great hire like that.

There's no reason we won't. Pearl just had the right combination of energy, roster, and knowing how to take advantage of the resources available at UT and how to exploit the fan support. Buzz must just be an idiot. Green had a nasty disposition... as did KO. Every year there are upward trending coaches available. TN needs Barnes to set the table and make the job appealing to his successor in a few years. Running him off in the next year or two or three just perpetuates the mess that's been plaguing UTBB for most of the last three decades. Unfortunately there is a vocal, dumb minority of fans that expect TN to instantly be a Sweet 16 program year in and year out. They don't understand the degree to how damaged the state of the program was in after Bruce/Cuonzo/Donnie.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree with everything except your last two sentences TGO.

What's wrong with his last two sentences? He's spot on. Tennessee was basically left in shambles after Tyndall got fired and it was going to be tough for ANY coach to clean that mess up. Barnes is doing a good job of keeping the NCAA off of our backs.

What's wrong with his last two sentences? He's spot on. Tennessee was basically left in shambles after Tyndall got fired and it was going to be tough for ANY coach to clean that mess up. Barnes is doing a good job of keeping the NCAA off of our backs.

Agree with everything except your last sentence.

I'm doing as much as Barnes is in that area.

Agree with everything except your last sentence.

I'm doing as much as Barnes is in that area.

Then that begs the question; how can you agree with his post sans his last sentence, and disagree with TGO's last two sentences? VFJ's entire post was a defense of the two sentences of TGO's post that you claim to disagree with.

And why do you disagree with VFJ's last sentence? Barnes has kept the NCAA off our backs by running a seemingly clean program.

Last edited:
Then that begs the question; how can you agree with his post sans his last sentence, and disagree with TGO's last two sentences? VFJ's entire post was a defense of the two sentences of TGO's post that you claim to disagree with.

And why do you disagree with VFJ's last sentence? Barnes has kept the NCAA off our backs by running a seemingly clean program.

And why do you disagree with VFJ's last sentence? Barnes has kept the NCAA off our backs.

Well I've kept the NCAA off our backs also. That's not an honor. That's just what happens when you barely recruit. All you've got to do is do nothing. I'm as much to thank for that as Barnes is.

I think fans know Barnes walked into a bad roster. Everyone knows Cuonzo didn't recruit and then Tyndall came in and made it worse.

I think fans know Barnes walked into a bad roster. Everyone knows Cuonzo didn't recruit and then Tyndall came in and made it worse.

Okay, so then it is the vocal minority of fans that don't understand it, just as TGO said.

Okay, so then it is the vocal minority of fans that don't understand it, just as TGO said.

That barely exists. People aren't gnashing their teeth because Barnes isn't winning. The fans I know that are angry are angry because they think Barnes isn't trying. I don't know anyone that thinks he inherited a good roster and is underachieving. Do you know some morons like that?

That barely exists. People aren't gnashing their teeth because Barnes isn't winning. The fans I know that are angry are angry because they think Barnes isn't trying. I don't know anyone that thinks he inherited a good roster and is underachieving. Do you know some morons like that?

No, but there are several morons who are upset that he isn't comfortably in the tournament by year 2. If he inherited a garbage roster following 2 NCAA show causes, is it really realistic to expect him to transform the roster into an NCAA tournament team virtually overnight? It can't be both. Either fans have to understand what he inherited and exercise some patience, or we can only assume they don't understand what he inherited for them to expect an immediate turnaround.

And to think Barnes simply "isn't trying" is just beyond stupid.

Reactions: 2 people
No, but there are several morons who are upset that he isn't comfortably in the tournament by year 2. If he inherited a garbage roster following 2 NCAA show causes, is it really realistic to expect him to transform the roster into an NCAA tournament team virtually overnight? It can't be both. Either fans have to understand what he inherited and exercise some patience, or we can only assume they don't understand what he inherited for them to expect an immediate turnaround.

And to think Barnes simply "isn't trying" is just beyond stupid.

Like I said those people are a very small section of the fanbase. Very small. I've never heard anyone say with a straight face he should be comfortably in the tourney in year 2 with what he inherited.

Bad wording by me. I should have said there's people who think Barnes isn't trying hard enough. Obviously he's trying. But I'm not convinced he's giving his all. Coasting a bit I believe.

Like I said those people are a very small section of the fanbase. Very small. I've never heard anyone say with a straight face he should be comfortably in the tourney in year 2 with what he inherited.

Bad wording by me. I should have said there's people who think Barnes isn't trying hard enough. Obviously he's trying. But I'm not convinced he's giving his all. Coasting a bit I believe.

Have you never visited a game thread after a loss? Or heck, visited a game thread during a rough 6-7 minute stretch of a game we might even end up winning. The drive-by posters throw out stupid comments like that all the time. As for the regulars, surely you're familiar with Vols30's shtick.

As for "coasting", we've discussed that ad nauseum. It's silly to acknowledge he took over a crap program, and then complain that he isn't raking in 4 and 5* players immediately. He has to put a winning product on the floor first to attract higher profile players. I think he is in the process of doing that, but it is just that, a process. He had to build up a foundation, and maybe Pons is the start of ramping up the talent level. I think Barnes has done a fine job identifying some solid underrated players like Williams, Bone, Fulkerson, Turner, etc, in the meantime to bridge the gap. If he doesn't ramp up the talent level, the results will seal his fate. The fans and AD aren't going to accept .500 seasons over the long haul, and it will take better talent and experience to improve the record.

Bottom line, be patient, let it play out, and the results will take care of themselves, one way or another. No one is asking fans to accept mediocrity, but those same fans have to understand that Rome wasn't built in a day. There is a balance between accepting a subpar product and demanding the moon.

Have you never visited a game thread after a loss? Or heck, visited a game thread during a rough 6-7 minute stretch of a game we might even end up winning. The drive-by posters throw out stupid comments like that all the time. As for the regulars, surely you're familiar with Vols30's shtick.

As for "coasting", we've discussed that ad nauseum. It's silly to acknowledge he took over a crap program, and then complain that he isn't raking in 4 and 5* players immediately. He has to put a winning product on the floor first to attract higher profile players. I think he is in the process of doing that, but it is just that, a process. He had to build up a foundation, and maybe Pons is the start of ramping up the talent level. I think Barnes has done a fine job identifying some solid underrated players like Williams, Bone, Fulkerson, Turner, etc, in the meantime to bridge the gap. If he doesn't ramp up the talent level, the results will seal his fate. The fans and AD aren't going to accept .500 seasons over the long haul, and it will take better talent and experience to improve the record.

Bottom line, be patient, let it play out, and the results will take care of themselves, one way or another. No one is asking fans to accept mediocrity, but those same fans have to understand that Rome wasn't built in a day. There is a balance between accepting a subpar product and demanding the moon.

The people like 30 barely exist. Every fanbase has those. The bigger problem is the section of the fanbase that I fall into. The guy who has season tickets for years and has been to two games in the past two seasons. Apathy is setting in.

The people like 30 barely exist. Every fanbase has those. The bigger problem is the section of the fanbase that I fall into. The guy who has season tickets for years and has been to two games in the past two seasons. Apathy is setting in.

Believe I saw a stat somewhere that attendance has declined every year for the past 10

Because it started that high for Pearl. Doesn't mean it didn't decline over the years.

It was declining every year under Cuonzo but fan interest and attendance were not problems.

Our current attendance and general apathy is an issue.

It was declining every year under Cuonzo but fan interest and attendance were not problems.

Attendance as a problem is so subjective. If Barnes consistently brings in 14k, some may think that's not a big deal. But a steady decline from 22k down to 18k (an 18% decrease), others may think that looks bad.

And apathy from who? Those that are only interested when a coach jumps up and down, paints his chest, things like that? That means they're not interested in basketball but rather a circus for entertainment.

VN Store

Back