AP All-Time Top 100 Basketball Teams

dea7c689538790e953135670203adc64.png

6b69bd6c67057c9838cf1ce95a6bb9c8.png

https://twitter.com/AP_Top25/status/847118306591068161
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/top-100

What do you guys think about us being ranked at #38th? I was a little surprised. I thought in the #40's to around #50. Cincy at #10 ahead of UConn at #16? Don't think so. St. John's at #27? Mizzou at #29? West Virginia at #42 while we're at #38? WV should be ahead of us in my opinion. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Reactions: 2 people
A lot of these rankings are probably based on titles won 50+ years ago.

Tennessee at 38 seems pretty good to me.

In the last 40 years you had the Ernie and Bernie teams, 2-3 Jerry Green mid season top 10 teams (notice I said mid-season) and then you had about 5 Pearl years with respectable tournament runs, a generous East region 2 seed in 2008, some big upsets (Texas, Memphis, Florida all come to mind) and finally the 7 day long number 1 ranking in the nation.

Save for a storybook elite 8 run and our program has historically underachieved. Even the elite 8 year we had to play in the First Four to get into the tournament. Had it taken place 1 year prior and we wouldn't have been in the tournament as 65 teams were taken and 1 mid-major play-in took place the Tuesday before the first round.

38...I'll take it.

In the last 40 years you had the Ernie and Bernie teams, 2-3 Jerry Green mid season top 10 teams (notice I said mid-season) and then you had about 5 Pearl years with respectable tournament runs, a generous East region 2 seed in 2008, some big upsets (Texas, Memphis, Florida all come to mind) and finally the 7 day long number 1 ranking in the nation.

Save for a storybook elite 8 run and our program has historically underachieved. Even the elite 8 year we had to play in the First Four to get into the tournament. Had it taken place 1 year prior and we wouldn't have been in the tournament as 65 teams were taken and 1 mid-major play-in took place the Tuesday before the first round.

38...I'll take it.

All of those winning seasons with Bruce Pearl at the controls leading us to the NCAAT & also the winning teams in the Allan Houston era also add to us being #38th on that lists. I was overlooking those years.

All of those winning seasons with Bruce Pearl at the controls leading us to the NCAAT & also the winning teams in the Allan Houston era also add to us being #38th on that lists. I was overlooking those years.

While Allan was one of the greatest Vols ever, I don't think his era did anything to help move us up the charts. We were 60Ws & 68Ls (I think) during his career. We never made an NCAA tourney and only 2 NITs! Allan was a one man show with a dismal cast. After he left, his dad went 5-22 as HC the next season and was fired.

I saw your stmt and it didn't feel right, so I looked it up. The Jerry Green era was where we got back to winning.

38...I'll take it.

Not trying trying to be the Vol historian around here. But, I think you may be confusing the Cuonzo NCAA tourney Sweet 16 year with the year Pearl led us to our only Elite 8.

It doesn't seem to be subjective at all, it's based on being ranked each week. Therefore it doesn't really matter what the final rank is... the most important factor is being ranked throughout the season. Mears, Devoe, Green, Pearl, and even Cuonzo earned TN points. Like I said earlier, the teams in the 1940s were ranked a lot too. The 1940s were TN's most successful decade and I don't even know who was coaching... possibly assistant football coaches.

So NCAATs, SECTs, SEC regular season championships, and who they beat don't directly matter. TN gets points any week that they were ranked in the Associated Press poll and that happened a lot in the 1940s, 1960s, 1970s, 1990s/2000s.

38...I'll take it.

We were a 6 seed the elite 8 year. Cuonzo went to the sweet 16 and needed the play in game to do it.

Dude we didn't win **** during the Wade & Alan Houston years.

What winning teams during the Allan Houston years are you talking about?

Reactions: 2 people
What winning teams during the Allan Houston years are you talking about?

(19-15) 1991-92
(13-17) 1992-93 (I had it reversed, thought they were 17-13 this year)
(3-15) 1990-91 (way off here)
(2-14) 1993-94

I was wrong on what I thought was 3 winning seasons when Houston was here. We had only one in 91-92. What's up with only playing 18 & 16 games respectively in 90-91 & 93-94? Thanks.

(19-15) 1991-92
(13-17) 1992-93 (I had it reversed, thought they were 17-13 this year)
(3-15) 1990-91 (way off here)
(2-14) 1993-94

I was wrong on what I thought was 3 winning seasons when Houston was here. We had only one in 91-92. What's up with only playing 18 & 16 games respectively in 90-91 & 93-94? Thanks.

We played more games in those seasons. Not sure where you got that info. And FWIW, Houston was a Freshman in 1989-90. So he played in 89-90, 90-91, 91-92-, 92-93. Your years are off by one season.

Point being, Tennessee had very average records (at best) in those seasons. Not the kind of seasons I'd point to to make a case for Tennessee being historically strong.

It doesn't seem to be subjective at all, it's based on being ranked each week. Therefore it doesn't really matter what the final rank is... the most important factor is being ranked throughout the season. Mears, Devoe, Green, Pearl, and even Cuonzo earned TN points. Like I said earlier, the teams in the 1940s were ranked a lot too. The 1940s were TN's most successful decade and I don't even know who was coaching... possibly assistant football coaches.

So NCAATs, SECTs, SEC regular season championships, and who they beat don't directly matter. TN gets points any week that they were ranked in the Associated Press poll and that happened a lot in the 1940s, 1960s, 1970s, 1990s/2000s.

Ray Mears’ teams were as good as any ever produced at Tennessee. I would put his teams against those of ANY other Tennessee coach and would win going away.

VN Store

Back